Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 07:58 PM

35 posts, read 32,917 times

Advertisements

I need some advice. I never imagined what would be a relatively straight forward move would be a nightmare. I recently moved from Florida to DC metro. I signed a contract, paid 75% of the money due, and now the Florida-based moving company has “abandoned” my items and is refusing to deliver them. They picked up my items early-June 2019, have not responded to any of my calls or emails, and today I received a letter in the mail, stating that their interstate service is no longer active.

Per the email, they claim my household furnishings are in New Jersey at a storage unit. I contacted the unit, and they have no record of the moving company or anything in my name. Everything is MIA. I have spent thousands of dollars, and they have everything my family owns. Baby albums, furniture, artwork, China, jewlery, my diplomas, paperwork, medical equipment, a wheelchair; our entire life is lost.

When I call the moving company, the phone goes straight to voicemail. If I do manage to get ahold of them, they hang up on me immediately.

I tried contacting the Florida police. They said it’s out of their jurisdiction. I tried contacting the FMCSA, they said they can issue fines to the company, but are not able to help me find my belongings. I cannot afford a lawyer. And I definitely can’t afford to lose everything, and I mean everything, I own.

Does anyone have any advice? Or can point me in the right direction? How can I find my items?

I’m terrified that they’ve been lost, or stolen, or even sold. Thanks for your time and suggestions, anything would be helpful as I try to sort this out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 07:33 AM

695 posts, read 702,471 times
Yikes! Have you asked the police department in Florida who would have jurisdiction? I don’t know why they wouldn’t have it. Maybe contact the State’s attorney general and/or a consumer advocate.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:48 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loriact View Post
Yikes! Have you asked the police department in Florida who would have jurisdiction? I don’t know why they wouldn’t have it. Maybe contact the State’s attorney general and/or a consumer advocate.
This is crazy! Contact Clark Howard. Not sure if you can reach him directly, but with something like this, it's possible. He's very knowledgeable and can probably at least steer you in the right direction. Just google him, and you'll find him easily.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:30 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Contact the local news media in both cities. They have investigative reporters who work these kinds of stories.

And/or try this guy https://www.elliott.org/

Old 08-21-2019, 11:34 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Is your property in transit insured? Make a claim with the insurance company.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:44 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
I'd go to news and social media. I'd also be calling different jurisdictions to see who to file a claim with.

I'd probably also be speaking with a lawyer since your entire life's possessions are at stake here.

Keep us updated.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:17 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Not much to go on. Sounds like you picked a shady company.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:24 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsov View Post
I need some advice. I never imagined what would be a relatively straight forward move would be a nightmare. I recently moved from Florida to DC metro. I signed a contract, paid 75% of the money due, and now the Florida-based moving company has “abandoned” my items and is refusing to deliver them. They picked up my items early-June 2019, have not responded to any of my calls or emails, and today I received a letter in the mail, stating that their interstate service is no longer active.

Per the email, they claim my household furnishings are in New Jersey at a storage unit. I contacted the unit, and they have no record of the moving company or anything in my name. Everything is MIA. I have spent thousands of dollars, and they have everything my family owns. Baby albums, furniture, artwork, China, jewlery, my diplomas, paperwork, medical equipment, a wheelchair; our entire life is lost.

When I call the moving company, the phone goes straight to voicemail. If I do manage to get ahold of them, they hang up on me immediately.

I tried contacting the Florida police. They said it’s out of their jurisdiction. I tried contacting the FMCSA, they said they can issue fines to the company, but are not able to help me find my belongings. I cannot afford a lawyer. And I definitely can’t afford to lose everything, and I mean everything, I own.

Does anyone have any advice? Or can point me in the right direction? How can I find my items?

I’m terrified that they’ve been lost, or stolen, or even sold. Thanks for your time and suggestions, anything would be helpful as I try to sort this out.
Attorney General of Florida.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:42 PM

435 posts, read 453,443 times
What is the company's name?

Old 08-21-2019, 09:12 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,410,761 times
Unfortunately, sounds like a scam company to me. I wish you luck in recovering your belongings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues