Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 01:54 PM

435 posts, read 453,443 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'm a single male currently living in San Diego, CA and was just offered a great new job starting late next month in Orlando, FL. I'm probably going to take it. The company is going to pay to have most of my belongings shipped out, but I still need to get there with my car, so I'll be driving. It'll just be me in my Subaru Outback with a yakima skybox up top, so no towing or anything. This seems to be the recommended route:

Anything I should consider before the drive? Anything worth stopping for an hour, two, or more to check out?

I've never taken the I-10E past Arizona so I appreciate any thoughts or advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 02:42 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
You might find this website useful for planning overnite stops and sightseeing along the way

https://trips.furkot.com/

Only spots to see that I know are the Alamo in San Antonio (right downtown !) , and the French Quarter in New Orleans.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:29 AM

334 posts, read 520,024 times
If I remember correctly, not a lot of gas stations in the desert, make sure you top up when you have a chance. And bring plenty of water, just in case you or your car need it

Old 08-25-2019, 06:04 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
I-8 goes east from San Diego and joins I-10 in Arizona. The eastern end of I-10 is in Jacksonville, but you want to turn south on I-75 at Lake City FL. Switch over to the Florida Turnpike and it will take you down to Orlando.

San Antonio has some interesting sights to see, the Alamo, the Riverwalk, and a string of old Spanish missions.
A couple of blocks from the Alamo is the Mercado which is a large market. One floor is all neat things from Mexico some of which are cheaper than they are in Mexico.
New Orleans is New Orleans, I-12 bypasses it, or stay on I-10 and it will take you there.
On one trip we stopped in Mobile AL and toured the WW2 battleship Alabama. Interesting, but I was a sailor for a couple of years. I also found the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola interesting.

I think the longest stretches between towns was in west Texas.

Old 08-26-2019, 12:08 PM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
I did the reverse drive many many years ago. Texas had a lot of cops is what I remember from that trip! Good luck!!

Old 08-26-2019, 03:04 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
One useful tip I think I've shared here in the past: stay on side of the city which is in the direction you're heading. In your case, try to stay on the East side of any town or city. It helps you avoid a lot of morning traffic through larger cities.

Cell service can disappear in some spots. Not a bad idea to bring a portable phone charger just in case something happens with the car and your cell phone also dies.

I also agree with the suggestion above to stop for gas when you can, especially in Texas. Stations can be 100s of miles apart. Even though you see a sign for a gas station 50 miles ahead, it might be closed.

Old 08-26-2019, 03:28 PM

110 posts, read 77,080 times
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/

This might help you.

I-10 is one boring drive, especially across TX. But take a side trip to Big Bend National Park and stay overnight. It is beautiful. Late SEP should be great weather.

If time is not of the essence, consider I-40. It is much more scenic. You could start angling back south when you get to Memphis, TN.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:24 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I did the reverse drive many many years ago. Texas had a lot of cops is what I remember from that trip! Good luck!!
That's why my fiance wants to avoid Texas lol.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:20 PM

435 posts, read 453,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
You might find this website useful for planning overnite stops and sightseeing along the way

https://trips.furkot.com/

Only spots to see that I know are the Alamo in San Antonio (right downtown !) , and the French Quarter in New Orleans.
Very cool website, I'll dig around to look at potential stops/places to stay. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StcLurker View Post
If I remember correctly, not a lot of gas stations in the desert, make sure you top up when you have a chance. And bring plenty of water, just in case you or your car need it
For sure. I'll be bringing several cases of water because it's basically all as much as I drink here where it's perpetually 75 and sunny, I can't imagine how thirsty I'll be in AZ and TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I-8 goes east from San Diego and joins I-10 in Arizona. The eastern end of I-10 is in Jacksonville, but you want to turn south on I-75 at Lake City FL. Switch over to the Florida Turnpike and it will take you down to Orlando.

San Antonio has some interesting sights to see, the Alamo, the Riverwalk, and a string of old Spanish missions.
A couple of blocks from the Alamo is the Mercado which is a large market. One floor is all neat things from Mexico some of which are cheaper than they are in Mexico.
New Orleans is New Orleans, I-12 bypasses it, or stay on I-10 and it will take you there.
On one trip we stopped in Mobile AL and toured the WW2 battleship Alabama. Interesting, but I was a sailor for a couple of years. I also found the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola interesting.

I think the longest stretches between towns was in west Texas.
I've been around the Midland/Odessa area and it is bleak. Eastern New Mexico was pretty depressing as well. I'm not looking forward to this stretch of the drive tbh. The Alabama sounds pretty neat though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I tend to be vigilant about speed and haven't gotten a ticket in at least a decade (knock on wood) but I'll keep an extra eye on my speed in the Lone Star State.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
One useful tip I think I've shared here in the past: stay on side of the city which is in the direction you're heading. In your case, try to stay on the East side of any town or city. It helps you avoid a lot of morning traffic through larger cities.

Cell service can disappear in some spots. Not a bad idea to bring a portable phone charger just in case something happens with the car and your cell phone also dies.

I also agree with the suggestion above to stop for gas when you can, especially in Texas. Stations can be 100s of miles apart. Even though you see a sign for a gas station 50 miles ahead, it might be closed.
Great suggestions, thank you! I'd never heard that one about staying on the side of the city in the direction of where I'm heading- cool tip, and I can see where it would save time and simplify things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortWingate View Post
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/

This might help you.

I-10 is one boring drive, especially across TX. But take a side trip to Big Bend National Park and stay overnight. It is beautiful. Late SEP should be great weather.

If time is not of the essence, consider I-40. It is much more scenic. You could start angling back south when you get to Memphis, TN.
Yeah, I dug up this video of the 1-10 across Texas and it looks pretty dull:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHfGxA1SRVY

I've been on the I-40 a number of times and found it pretty dull too (except in Northern Arizona- Flagstaff is beautiful!)

If the I-40 is more scenic than the I-10 I'm in for a boring day of driving.

Big Bend looks pretty cool though, I may need to stop for the night.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

Old 08-28-2019, 06:05 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,188,178 times
There's a lot of "scenery" between El Paso and San Antonio. The drive becomes much better once you're east of Houston.

Last edited by Creature of the Wheel; 08-28-2019 at 06:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues