Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 07:28 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Have you shed yourself of the OTHER 1150sf worth of 'stuff' you've been used to having around?
Throw in another 250sf worth while you're at it.
But, what about grandmother's porcelain dinnerware? It was harder to get rid of the camping equipment. I haven't slept in a tent in years, so it was time to go.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:43 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
But, what about grandmother's porcelain dinnerware?
When you get down to the one single box of (whatever)... it's a different discussion.
Keep and use the good stuff and discard the Corelle.

But you need to start with the idea that it'll all be going somewhere else. And soon.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:48 AM

88,582 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I moved from a 1200+ sq ft 1 bedroom/1.5 bath townhouse that included a small basement to a 900 sq ft 2 bed/1 bath. I sold most of my furniture before the move, and what little furniture I brought with me I wound up selling once I got here. Almost all the furniture in my new apartment was purchased through Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist.

In the townhouse I had shelves set up with plastic bins in the basement which became my storage area. In the new apartment my "basement" is now in the closet of the second bedroom. I pared down from 4 to 2 shelving units for the plastic bins and have some smaller bins stored under my bed. I did a lot of tossing, giving away and consolidating and still have a small amount of space left over.

I really don't miss the extra square footage. My current apartment is roomy enough. Interestingly, my current kitchen is bigger than my old kitchen back in the townhouse and the dining area is about the same.

Hopefully, you'll discover that you don't need all that "stuff" you're clinging onto, and use this opportunity to purge and get a fresh start.
That's key. There can be an emotional component to doing this.

When I last looked to see what to get rid of, I opened a high cabinet over the fridge into which I had stashed some dishes when I moved in and never looked at again. I took them down, and decided I needed to get rid of them, but all of a sudden I felt very sad. It was a beautiful set that my ex-husband had brought home from a house where he was doing work and the owner had given them to him. I never got to use them, and we got divorced not long after.

I carted them with me in a box the next few times i moved, then I came across them when I bought the condo after my daughter was grown and left. I was excited and envisioned using them when I made new friends in my new town, maybe had people over for dinner, maybe even I would find a relationship and make dinners for someone.

None of that ever happened. I ended up spending most of those years working long hours and having a minimal social life. I never even had so much as a chance to go on a date, let alone have a relationship. I rarely had company. I had other dishes, but I never used the pretty brown-and-white ones that I liked so much, and by now I'd been carting them around for twenty years.

So I put them out front for the veterans organization to cart away the next morning, but more than once that night I thought about going out front to take them back. When I woke up the next morning, it was too late. They'd been picked up at 7, as promised.

I wondered what the hell was wrong with me that I was feeling teary over a set of old dishes, but I realized it was that they represented a life I'd dreamed of and didn't have. It is best that they are gone, because I am moving forward with life as it turned out in reality and I need to cut away that which drags me down to the past.

It's bizarre how we can get emotionally attached to things, even if they represent unrealized dreams rather than memories.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I moved from a 1200+ sq ft 1 bedroom/1.5 bath townhouse that included a small basement to a 900 sq ft 2 bed/1 bath. I sold most of my furniture before the move, and what little furniture I brought with me I wound up selling once I got here. Almost all the furniture in my new apartment was purchased through Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist.

In the townhouse I had shelves set up with plastic bins in the basement which became my storage area. In the new apartment my "basement" is now in the closet of the second bedroom. I pared down from 4 to 2 shelving units for the plastic bins and have some smaller bins stored under my bed. I did a lot of tossing, giving away and consolidating and still have a small amount of space left over.

I really don't miss the extra square footage. My current apartment is roomy enough. Interestingly, my current kitchen is bigger than my old kitchen back in the townhouse and the dining area is about the same.

Hopefully, you'll discover that you don't need all that "stuff" you're clinging onto, and use this opportunity to purge and get a fresh start.
I've packed and moved things which I'm planning to get rid of. I really don't need a food processor. I used to love when I could find the time to spend a day in the kitchen cooking and baking, but now I just want something to eat when I'm hungry. I no longer have to bake cupcakes at 10 PM because my son forgot to tell me that that I was donating 3 dozen to the school party the next day.

The new kitchen is depressingly small, but it's really enough. I'm just going to have to get used to it.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Yes. I bought a 640 sq ft condo, moved in and found I hated it. Not just the cramped space but being surrounded by typical Bay Area people; i.e. the kind that love making their neighbors' lives miserable.

There is only so much you can do in 640 sq ft.

I don't think I'd been there even two years when I moved in with my BF and rented the condo out.

I'm sorry your move has to happen but you'll probably have better results than I did. Having a storage unit for the overflow is a good idea as long as it doesn't drag out for years.
I'm not happy about this. I'm leaving my flowering cherry, hydrangeas, kerria, clethra and the veg gardening bed.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:49 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,562,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
When you get down to the one single box of (whatever)... it's a different discussion.
Keep and use the good stuff and discard the Corelle.

But you need to start with the idea that it'll all be going somewhere else. And soon.
That's what I did when I downsized nearly five years ago, i.e., placed my inherited "good dishes" into daily rotation. The everyday dishes were packed up and passed along to someone who could put them to good use.

Why save things in a box when they can be used and enjoyed? I believe that concept is a large part of the downsizing and decluttering process, this paring down of personal possessions to only those things that are useful and, to quote Marie Kondo, "spark joy."

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 09-04-2019 at 08:59 AM..

Old 09-04-2019, 08:51 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,562,030 times
Quote:
I'm not happy about this. I'm leaving my flowering cherry, hydrangeas, kerria, clethra and the veg gardening bed.
That would be the worst part of your move, I think--far more than leaving a larger home and giving up possessions due to lack of storage space.

So much of yourself had to have gone into creating your outdoor world. Your description of it sounds lovely. *hugs*

Last edited by Formerly Known As Twenty; 09-04-2019 at 09:00 AM..

Old 09-04-2019, 08:57 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
But, what about grandmother's porcelain dinnerware? It was harder to get rid of the camping equipment. I haven't slept in a tent in years, so it was time to go.
When we moved I gave all the porcelain dinnerware and crystal glasses to my daughter in law, if she hadn't wanted it I would have put it on consignment somewhere but from the research I did it's not worth much anymore, people want stuff they can clean in the dishwasher. I scanned all my old photos and slides and put them on a portable hard drive & got rid of the originals. I took photos of the kids baseball and football trophies (they wanted to keep them but not in their own homes lol) and got rid of them. It's amazing how much stuff I got rid of that I have never missed in the 5 years since we moved, we went from 2900 sq ft to 1400 so it was easier than it would have been if we were going to live in a tiny condo but after the experience I'm pretty sure that we are still living with a ton of stuff we don't need.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:08 AM

88,582 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Now that is a bit painful.

When I rented the house, it had been empty for a year, and there were 18 rosebushes that had not been cared for. In the five years I lived there, I brought them back to their full beauty and health. But they weren't mine, and I had to leave them.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:10 AM

MQ, that is good way to consider that space. It will be my space to use as I choose.

I helped clean out my father-in-law's house and was in charge of my mother's hoarded stash. I don't want to be that person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues