Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 05:16 PM

275 posts, read 285,292 times

Advertisements

I like the idea of them being super fussy. ☺
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 11:58 PM

8 posts, read 3,695 times
We used a1 auto transport last summer and their dates were on the money. They ship cars too, which is why we went them, plus they were one of the cheaper ones. If I were you I'd do some checking on prices before making a decision. It won't be cheap moving that far, even without much stuff. You can probably save a few bucks by taking your time and getting estimates from the different options. That's what we did.

Old 03-04-2020, 06:27 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,266,757 times
I'd also check reviews, though. My experience, even with big-name movers, is that the person who quotes the job is always polite, professional, reassuring.... and then there are the packers.

Move #1: I had stuff stored under one bed and about 100 LPs stored in benches built into the wall of the finished basement. The packers didn't notice them and the movers didn't have boxes so left a lot of crap sitting around. I was in tears- this was after a long, messy divorce. I had to load it all into my car and make multiple trips to the new place.

Move #2: corporate, long-distance. They left pans in the storage drawers in the stove and gardening implements in the shed. Second DH and I drove from NJ to KS with rakes and trowels in the car.

Move #3: This time I was retired and I followed the packers around with a vacuum cleaner. I had to point out closets they "forgot" to clear. For most of one day they had only one young woman there and she really needed more support. She totally ignored the closet under the kitchen sink. I pointed it out. She said they didn't transport liquids. I knew that but noted that sponges, scouring powder, scrub brushes, etc. were not liquids and needed to be packed.

All 3 broke a few items and said nothing- we found out later. For Move #1 they broke the glass top of an outdoor table and threw it in the woods behind the house.

Fun times.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:09 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,381,525 times
We moved from Florida to Arizona with Mayflower. The truck broke down in Tucson, which was a delay. We used the time to find a house and buy it, so they moved us in directly instead of going to storage. It was a winner.

Old 03-06-2020, 03:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
We used the local franchisee of United Van Lines and they did an excellent job. Movers are local businesses, not chain businesses. Check local BBB listings for the specific local mover and check Angie’s list as well.

When you choose the mover you will sign a contract. Both you and the mover are obligated by the contract.

Get at least three quotes before you decide. Expect professionalism. If you don’t see it, eliminate that mover. Take your time selecting.

Old 03-08-2020, 09:42 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,286,731 times
We were moved by Graebel twice. These were company relocations so I'm not sure of cost. Our first move was well done. The packers were decent. We were incredibly impressed with the driver. He was only 28 or so at the time. He was professional and really had his act together.

We used them again about seven years later. Our first on moving out was rain. The movers didn't want to pack wet things in the truck and I appreciate that. We moved out one day later than planned. It threw off our cleaning, paint touch up and carpet reschedule. That was no ones fault. The main hitch was a guy named Tony who under estimated the amount of stuff we had. He did the same thing to someone else we knew. That threw off the size of the truck we needed. The company had to bring in a backup truck a day later to get the rest of the stuff. That (smaller) truckload got delivered a week late because someone else had to drive it. I would use them again if I could afford it. Everyone was professional. We enjoyed the family of packers and the family who drove the truck.

Old 03-08-2020, 10:39 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Yes ! Atlas Moving. 3 times. The best ever. I believe the drivers own their own rigs, they are super fussy.
I used a guy like this from Atlas 5 years ago and he was simply amazing. He’s based in Tampa/St Pete but has done a lot of runs from the Northeast. Meticulous, quick and most importantly, nothing broke!

Old 04-01-2020, 03:10 AM

1 posts, read 938 times
For me it always Tristate Moving and Storage. best one in my city

Old 04-01-2020, 02:16 PM

300 posts, read 148,809 times
My advice would be to check the BBB for ratings before signing with them. I ended up getting computer equipment ruined, an irreplaceable piece of furniture ruined. I also still today find things that are missing, and therefore assume they never got to me.

I sued them with solid evidence and they never showed up to court. The court judged in my favor but the place still refused to pay because they go by 8 different names. I was expected to fly to the midwest to sue THAT office, not the one at my state of residence. Yes, I had insurance too, which was not honored (homebuilders moving co. was one of the eight alias names). I also ended up with a huge box of someone else's kitchen stuff. It took them more than a month to come pick up that box and to be honest, I doubt it ever got to the actual owner.

Lessons: Make sure your name/addr are on each box; make sure you keep an entire list of each box, and each item within each box. Take pictures. They're not project managers, they are movers.

Old 04-02-2020, 07:49 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,246,948 times
Last two moves, I paid for myself (previous moves were paid for by Uncle Sam) and the last one, UT to ID was Atlas and they were great. In fact, called the morning after they picked up and asked if a day earlier to drop off was ok. It was not only great but kept me from camping in a LR for a night.
Government used Atlas once in one of my moves, as well as another company a few times. All those were great and no problems.

The move from MI to UT was a nightmare. Southwest moving was a total joke. They eventually arrived at the location a week late, then would not start to unload the truck till they were totally paid. After a short discussion between me, three of my friends, the truck driver and his helper, with the idea that truck would never be able to move more than one foot without sudden blowouts of their tires they unloaded. I handed them the cash; they were then told to leave and allowed to drive away with a request from me that they drive off a cliff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues