Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 05:33 PM

133 posts, read 75,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Make sure you have a cat carrier (hard sided) even if you intend to let your cat roam most of the time.
Right! I didn't mean for the OP to skip the carrier and just use a harness for his cat, but looking back at my comment that's pretty much what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

It is a fun trip if you take your time. There are three primary routes (with additional variations available). North, south and middle. Each of the three have their joys and concerns.

Made the trip one time with our twin daughters and an exchange student from Taiwan, in a 1995 Camaro Z28. We visited: Vegas; Grand canyon; Hoover dam; native american reservation market; ancient ruins and a hole called the Breath of God (really neat); painted desert; petrified forest; Gallup NM (because the car broke down there); family in North Texas; friends in Nashville TN, Mammoth Caves (stayed in a wig wam hotel). It was a magical trip despite the crowded conditions in the car and the fact I had to teach my daughters how to drive stick on the way so they could take some turns driving.
Where is that Breath of God place, Coldjensens? I tried googling it but just got some religious and new age results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 09:44 AM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
Rental trucks are a good bit less pleasant to drive than passenger cars. They are scarier at high speeds and may be speed-limited.

So figure you cannot drive as long or as far as you can with a car.

Make sure you understand the fuel costs (poor gas mileage).

You wouldn't leave your real valuables in the truck. You are very unlikely to have household goods stolen. I have parked a fully loaded crossover, with boxes visible, overnight. Pick a middle of the road hotel near the interstate and other hotels.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:58 PM

4 posts, read 4,065 times
Thanks to all for the very helpful input. I'm in complete agreement with most of what everyone said.

1) Will be driving a 16-footer. We have sold off most of our furniture and will be taking just a few items (chair, table) plus our clothes and my books (30 boxes worth).
2) Visited the vet and got a sedative for the cat in case she gets anxious or rowdy while we're driving. Have a cat carrier and a harness, and will never open doors or windows until the cat is secured in the carrier. Will have a disposable litterbox in the cab, tho as someone noted she may hold until we reach a hotel.
3) Will be driving the southern route for sure. Google wants us to head straight north to Chicago from St. Louis but I hate driving around/near Chicago and hate even more the long drive across Michigan on I-94, so will likely add an hour or so and go northeast across Ohio. Will be monitoring the weather all the way, of course. (I used to live in SE Mich so I'm very familiar with the weather--and thus the watchful eye.)
4) Each night cat and valuables (laptops, etc.) will go into the hotel with us.
5) Agreed on the notion of starting early each day. I like the idea of banking several hours before the day really gets going. Besides, cat isn't going to let us sleep past dawn anyway.
6) Will get a simple motion detector and possibly a wheel lock (Club) too.
7) Good idea on the Fix-A-Flat, etc., also.

Finally ... Any advice on a heavy-duty lock for the rear cargo door? I'm leaning toward an Abus 20/70 or 20/80 disc lock, but seem to be finding conflicting info on whether it will fit a 16-foot Penske latch. Anyone used such a lock on this truck?

Thanks again for your replies. This has been very helpful.

D

Old 11-21-2019, 01:52 PM

4,861 posts, read 4,794,690 times
I've driven numerous trips between here (outside ABQ) and Detroit, but never in a truck. I agree about Chicago and even avoided it on the weekends, but I suggest I-70 to Indianapolis and I-69 into Michigan. I never cared for driving in Ohio and I-75 carries a lot more traffic. In the summer, I even took I-57 to US 24 across to Fort Wayne just to vary the routine.

I concur on the southern route of I-40 to OKC through Tulsa and Joplin into St. Louis. Keep an eye on the weather, though, as we're getting a little snow today. I'm at 5,400 feet, so it won't last that long, but the higher elevations are getting dumped on (Flagstaff is at 7,000 feet). The plains across eastern NM and the Texas panhandle can get a little snow with wind that glazes the road (usually overnight). Most states have a roads web sites that are good about updating (ours is nmroads.com).

Have a good trip.

Old 11-24-2019, 06:00 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
I JUST READ YOUR ABOVE POST. Sounds like you've got it under control.

I've moved with a cat. Be sure he's harness & leash trained well in advance. Never open ANY door without the harness/ leash being on. Visit the rental place to see if your truck has floor space for a small litter box. They're like kids. Be patient. There may be some yowling at first but he'll settle down. Hopefully your cat is accustomed to car rides.

When I moved coast to coast with 2 dogs I decided on 8hrs +/-. To help me stick to this I found a great trip planner online that plots your course, then lets you move your cursor along until you get 8hrs along. I booked all my rooms for the trip. It was nice having time to do a little shopping or dining without being exhausted.

I know it's different with cats but I portioned out each meal with supplements into zip lock bags. And I brought a jug of water from "home" in case they got picky and didn't want to drink. You might take a medicine syringe to get water in him if he's getting dehydrated - learn how to check. Children's liquid Benadryl is safe for cats.

Old 11-24-2019, 04:09 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I JUST READ YOUR ABOVE POST. Sounds like you've got it under control.

I've moved with a cat. Be sure he's harness & leash trained well in advance. Never open ANY door without the harness/ leash being on. Visit the rental place to see if your truck has floor space for a small litter box. They're like kids. Be patient. There may be some yowling at first but he'll settle down. Hopefully your cat is accustomed to car rides.

When I moved coast to coast with 2 dogs I decided on 8hrs +/-. To help me stick to this I found a great trip planner online that plots your course, then lets you move your cursor along until you get 8hrs along. I booked all my rooms for the trip. It was nice having time to do a little shopping or dining without being exhausted.

I know it's different with cats but I portioned out each meal with supplements into zip lock bags. And I brought a jug of water from "home" in case they got picky and didn't want to drink. You might take a medicine syringe to get water in him if he's getting dehydrated - learn how to check. Children's liquid Benadryl is safe for cats.
Was that planner https://trips.furkot.com/ ?

Old 11-25-2019, 05:25 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Was that planner https://trips.furkot.com/ ?
I don't think so. I think it was a map company.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:16 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
We've used AAA TripTik numerous times.

They've also been a boon for troubles on the road. Not sure it would work with a rental truck.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:17 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Presumably, the moving trip is now completed.

How did it go?

Any lessons learned?

Any great experiences?

Old 02-03-2020, 12:44 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer'sBreeze View Post
Right! I didn't mean for the OP to skip the carrier and just use a harness for his cat, but looking back at my comment that's pretty much what I said.

Where is that Breath of God place, Coldjensens? I tried googling it but just got some religious and new age results.
It is on the back way out of the Grand Canyon south rim. You go by a place called Black Rock canyon or something like that. Then there is the native american market. Then some ancient ruins in a national or state park. The blowhole is in the park near some ruins.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...f_Arizona.html

https://www.nps.gov/wupa/planyourvis...20fourth-2.pdf

https://arizonaoddities.com/2010/10/...onal-monument/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues