Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:09 AM

36 posts, read 129,229 times

Advertisements

I can perhaps 'top' that...

I have (in my footloose and fancy-free youth) moved to many cities, sigh(t) unseen, and had absolutely no contacts or residence to...um...reside at.

Basically, i was a homeless bum.
Well, not a bum because I was looking for work...but I was homeless none-the-less.

There's nothing like getting off the greyhound in Eureka, California at 11 PM on a Saterday night and having no clue what will happen next or where you'll be sleeping.

Greyhound stations aren't usually located in the best areas of town either.

Anyways, I'll put away my high hat now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 11:43 AM

50 posts, read 146,429 times
My boyfriend and I are moving to Chattanooga Tennessee from Olympia Washington sight unseen. Our friend lives there and just bought a large house so we are going to move in with him. We have more business opportunities there than we do here, plus the whole West Coast is getting way too expensive.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:59 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
take it from me-southern born and southern bred- you should quite enjoy Chattanooga. I love it there. Make sure you visit Knoxville and Gatlinburg and Asheville,NC; all really beautiful,awesome areas. Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentia View Post
My boyfriend and I are moving to Chattanooga Tennessee from Olympia Washington sight unseen. Our friend lives there and just bought a large house so we are going to move in with him. We have more business opportunities there than we do here, plus the whole West Coast is getting way too expensive.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:47 AM

50 posts, read 146,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
take it from me-southern born and southern bred- you should quite enjoy Chattanooga. I love it there. Make sure you visit Knoxville and Gatlinburg and Asheville,NC; all really beautiful,awesome areas. Enjoy!
Thanks! One of the first places I want to go after I get a job is Dollywood. LOL

Old 05-11-2008, 12:59 AM

when you do go there and if you plan on staying in the area for a few days, I recommend checking into renting a cabin at Brothers Cove. They have a web site. We've stayed there a few times and it's lovely and just down the highway from Dollywood. Rates vary according to seasons and cabin selections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentia View Post
Thanks! One of the first places I want to go after I get a job is Dollywood. LOL

Old 05-11-2008, 01:36 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I have not, however I've family that did. As one would rationally expect, the result was disastrous. I don't recommend anyone ever do this.

Not only did the job for which the move was made fall through just a year later (a lot of empty promises were made but since none were put in writing, none of them came to fruition once the job was accepted), it took the family over 2000 miles away from their closest family, cost a fortune as moving allowance was never negotiated nor even asked for (duh), and the area ended up being relatively dangerous due to proximity to the Mexican border and thousands of illegal immigrants crossing each year through the city.

The whole thing was a part of a lousy plan put into action without much rationality. Decisions like moving should never just be emotionally motivated. Sure there may be an emotional element, but there needs to be some forethought and research done ahead of time. Being in the military is one thing (at least you know you're moving for an employer which isn't going anywhere, and you also know thousands of others do the same thing each year), and moving for an employer who you know well is likewise "ok".. but moving sight unseen to a place without really knowing who you're about to work for... a very bad idea.
Aw, Im sorry, sounds like you moved to Phoenix? Am I correct? That happens a lot out here is why I wonder.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:14 PM

64 posts, read 343,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsoncat View Post
Hello,

Just wondering, has anybody here ever decided that they needed a change and after researching a state say, via internet packed up and moved before visiting first?
Yes! I moved to Dallas, TX on 4/14/08. I was totally miserable and tired of struggling in GA and wanted to make a better life for myself somewhere else. I decided that I didn't care what Dallas looked like. I needed a town where there were jobs and better wages. I couldn't afford to fly out and rent a car to look around because that would have used up what little money that I had in savings. I think I have made a good choice moving here. The job market is excellent and I won't have to struggle anymore.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:08 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new28moon View Post
Yes! I moved to Dallas, TX on 4/14/08. I was totally miserable and tired of struggling in GA and wanted to make a better life for myself somewhere else. I decided that I didn't care what Dallas looked like. I needed a town where there were jobs and better wages. I couldn't afford to fly out and rent a car to look around because that would have used up what little money that I had in savings. I think I have made a good choice moving here. The job market is excellent and I won't have to struggle anymore.
I hope that it continues to be a good move and you don't have to struggle anymore either. Wishing you continued good luck.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:18 PM

awesome pic! The Smokies are my favorite place on earth. Next would be where I live now-Juneau is "almost" as beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I hope that it continues to be a good move and you don't have to struggle anymore either. Wishing you continued good luck.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:37 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsoncat View Post
Hello,

Just wondering, has anybody here ever decided that they needed a change and after researching a state say, via internet packed up and moved before visiting first?
Shoot, before I had access to the internet to do research with, I packed up and moved to Maine just because I could. Have left the state a time or two for a year here, two years another time, and cannot wait to head out again. It has been a long run here, but time and situations change and it no longer fits at all. So yes I have moved to a state sight un-seen other than a few pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues