Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 04:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,594 times

Advertisements

So, long form version of this story is, I am in a pretty bad situation where I'm living now. I want to move to Tampa FL, which is on the opposite coast of where I am. I have somebody willing to be a roommate if I can get over there and get my disability benefits in place. The monthly payments are doable with a roommate, same with utilities, and the place is in an area I like. I'm desperate to get out of where I am, to the point of considering crowdfunding moving expenses so I can get going early. I can't work, so job hunting is entirely out of the picture for me.

The issue I'm running into is...I've never made a move on my own before, much less one so far away. I have no idea where to start, what things to look at first, what to get lined up well in advance and what to leave until I'm ready to go. Most of the things I've read on the subject focus entirely on making sure you like the area and visiting/touring for a while so you can put in applications, which I physically can't do.

I guess the questions I have are...
Where in the world do I start with regard to moving?
Is there an order I should follow when looking into things?
What are the most important things to look at when I'm doing those things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 05:22 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamwood View Post
So, long form version of this story is, I am in a pretty bad situation where I'm living now. I want to move to Tampa FL, which is on the opposite coast of where I am. I have somebody willing to be a roommate if I can get over there and get my disability benefits in place. The monthly payments are doable with a roommate, same with utilities, and the place is in an area I like. I'm desperate to get out of where I am, to the point of considering crowdfunding moving expenses so I can get going early. I can't work, so job hunting is entirely out of the picture for me.

The issue I'm running into is...I've never made a move on my own before, much less one so far away. I have no idea where to start, what things to look at first, what to get lined up well in advance and what to leave until I'm ready to go. Most of the things I've read on the subject focus entirely on making sure you like the area and visiting/touring for a while so you can put in applications, which I physically can't do.

The first step should (almost) always be de-cluttering. It's likely you have a lot of stuff you don't use and could get rid of. Once you do that, the rest will seem a lot less overwhelming. Given your fiscal difficulties, you might want to try selling some old furniture or belongings rather than abandoning or donating them, to try to have some cash to use for the move.

I recommend, as a rule of thumb, the 12 month rule: If you haven't used it in 12 months, you don't need it.

Old 12-08-2019, 05:42 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,147,957 times
Quote:
In order to get more relevant suggestions, it would be helpful to know what kind of living situation you're moving from and what you're moving to. For instance, are you down-sizing, up-sizing, or already living pretty minimalist?...Pets?...Cars?...Furnishings?...that sort of thing.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
In order to get more relevant suggestions, it would be helpful to know what kind of living situation you're moving from and what you're moving to. For instance, are you down-sizing, up-sizing, or already living pretty minimalist?...Pets?...Cars?...Furnishings?...that sort of thing.
I'm basically living out of my bedroom currently. I don't currently have a pet or a vehicle, and I was planning on leaving most furniture behind because it's a lot of large things I won't be able to move on my own. I'm definitely planning on downsizing either way, and getting rid of things I won't particularly need that isn't (mostly small kitchen) appliances, clothing, blankets, or particularly sentimental.

I can't drive, and my potential roommate has said they would be willing to fly over and drive either a uhaul or a minivan if I can manage either of those.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:40 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Here's what I would do first. Picture yourself at your new place. What's the minimum you'll need?
Start with underwear. If you have 7 (or however many) decent pair, pull them out and start packing a bin. The rest that are less than perfect will do until you move then throw them out. Socks, etc.
Then go to shirts, blouses. Anything you're not sure of, stick aside. Take the rest to Goodwill.

Start a bag for the trip. Maybe your travel clothes are the ones you'll wear until you go.

Sometimes you can make travel money by selling stuff but that takes energy. Also if it's a choice between hauling it off and offering it for free so someone else hauls it...

You'll be in a different climate. Plan your wardrobe accordingly.

Is your friend's kitchen supplied with all cooking utensils? Maybe go over her list and see if there's something she doesn't already have that you can contribute. If you feel you must, take a plate, cup, bowl, place setting for one. (Two if it's awesome stuff)

Sounds like an adventure. And it sounds like you have a good friend.

I'm in CA, east of the Sierras.

Old 12-08-2019, 11:14 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
Are on Florida's east coast (opposite coast) or California opposite coast? Huge difference in moving.
If you aren't moving furniture you are way ahead already. Minivan is perfect for a cross Florida trip.
You could probably find free boxes at liquor stores and sometimes on craigslist.
Start boxing things you don't use much but want to keep (books, summer clothes).

The hardest part will be selling appliances that you use and then won't have them (fridge, stove, washer/dryer).
Packing the kitchen always comes last and you'll be eating out often without a fridge or stove.
Deciding what to keep and what to sell/give away is hard.

Good luck. I just moved several states away and it was the hardest thing I've ever done. Months of packing, selling, giving away stuff. Now it's unpacking too many boxes and trying to find stuff.

Old 12-09-2019, 03:32 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
I'm desperate to get out of where I am,
Start by finding something where you are now ... you can't afford to go farther than 15 miles.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:22 AM

22,165 posts, read 19,217,049 times
key to moving:
get rid of, well, pretty much everything, all your "stuff"
this will make the move much easier.
if you are driving, limit what you own to what will fit in your car.

you will be amazed at how much lighter you feel without all that stuff weighing you down.
you can furnish your new place at your own pace, and within your own budget: goodwill, ikea, whatever
it sounds like you are used to living simply, that will make it easier.

if "moving" freaks you out in terms of "never done this" and "how do i do it"
think of it instead as packing for a long trip. that makes it more manageable.

most important? affordable areato live (you have that); roommate if needed (you have that); income (you have that).
it sounds like you have already done, or have in place the big stuff. you are farther along than you think.

what's left?
roof over your head, so you and your roommate find a place that works. maybe do something in the interim like craigslist until you find something more long-term. there are weekly places on craigslist, advantage is you get to be in different neighborhoods you may want to check out while you are looking

once you have a roof over your head all you need is a bed to sleep on.

the rest you do as you go. you'll do great. best wishes.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-09-2019 at 07:31 AM..

Old 12-09-2019, 10:48 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,324,068 times
Why Tampa?
What are you running away from?
Looks like you have support services where you are now- your own place and a disability check, probably doctors, etc
Do you have enough money, some help to start all process anew in another state?

Before you start packing- contact social services where you are and run it by them.
They are at least somewhat vetted employees vs this unknown future room mate of yours.

Did you find him/ her on Internet?
It is a good way to get murdered: think about it- you think that you have nothing to lose, but you have a disability check and a social security number- if you “disappear”- someone can draw public assistance possibly?Healthcare, etc? Or even apply for a caregiver pay?
Some people get murdered for less by some desperate drug addicts, con men, etc.

You have to be extremely careful in your condition- don’t do it like that! Do you have any mental illness or delayed development in addition to your physical disability?
Don’t you have at least someone you can truly trust where you are?

We need more details in order to help you.
You sound like a vulnerable person- you might end up in a very bad situation, much worse than what you are trying to run away from in your state.

Last edited by Nik4me; 12-09-2019 at 10:58 AM..

Old 12-09-2019, 10:52 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Blankets and your pillow are important!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues