U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 01:47 PM

206 posts, read 116,823 times

Advertisements

Good thread. My husband and I sold our house, he's on the edge of retiring but is still doing some short term work in a variety of places. The short term jobs provide temporary housing, so we're basically nomadic for now, going from one temporary situation to the next with some short term AirBNB-ing in between gigs.

We have brought with us only what fits in the car (a small SUV), and left the rest in a 10x20 storage unit in our old town.

At some point we'll have to figure out where we'll plant ourselves. Right now we have our eye on Pennsylvania, so maybe it will be there. I miss the west (my natural coast), but our beloved grown kids are settled here in the east and being closer to them may be more important (not sure yet).

After being tethered to one place, to a home and property for so long, I'm enjoying this rootless life for now but it will have to come to a close at some point. Especially after the husband actually retires -- which will be pretty soon. I'm beginning to feel like it will be nice once we have a real home again, but I'm also enjoying this phase for as long as it lasts.

Not sure I want to be a home owner again (too much responsibility), but not sure I want to be a renter (too much control over my home by someone else) ... LOL. It's a dilemma.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 03:39 PM

643 posts, read 279,784 times
I recommend starting to "shop" for new doctors ahead of time so you can schedule New Patient Appointments at doctors - or as soon as you land. We failed to act on the suggestion we do this and have found a 3-6 month wait to get a New Patient Appointment. One dermatologist we called would put us on a 6-12 month waiting list only after they received our medical files from our existing doctor. I started with the In-Network physicians listed on our health insurance company and asked people who their doctor is and if they liked her/him. I also looked up patient reviews on http://www.vitalsigns.com

I also suggest you list every item in each box you pack, if possible - at least for the kitchen. That way you won't have to open every box to find the flatware, for example, which happened to me in one move. OR pack a few "Kitchen Essentials" boxes that have everything you need to exist comfortably for a day or two - the coffee maker, the flatware, some dishes, cups/mugs. We found ourselves in a position where we moved on very short notice (I'll spare you the details) and had to work immediately before and after settlement and move day and we didn't find our flatware until day 5 of living there because we had such limited time to unpack.

Wishing you good luck on your move.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:56 PM

11,330 posts, read 10,101,810 times
For some reason, when we moved to Florida from South Carolina, I thought I needed to take all my sweaters with me.

I finally gave them all away. Cashmere in Florida? Not on the coldest day.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:32 PM

160 posts, read 92,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Also, I would have spent more time scouting out a good real estate agent.

In NC, you sign on with a buyers' agent. Once we signed on the dotted line, her enthusiasm waned. I wish we had parted ways right there. Instead we hauled her across the finish line.
We are headed to Raleigh NC! We have a buyers agent but are several states away and haven't signed anything yet. Is there anything else about the NC buying process I should be aware of as we shop?

Were you familiar with NC and do you enjoy it?

Old 01-30-2020, 08:41 AM

11,030 posts, read 7,195,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
I recommend starting to "shop" for new doctors ahead of time so you can schedule New Patient Appointments at doctors - or as soon as you land. We failed to act on the suggestion we do this and have found a 3-6 month wait to get a New Patient Appointment. One dermatologist we called would put us on a 6-12 month waiting list only after they received our medical files from our existing doctor. I started with the In-Network physicians listed on our health insurance company and asked people who their doctor is and if they liked her/him. I also looked up patient reviews on http://www.vitalsigns.com
That's an excellent reminder. Assume you might have an appallingly long wait for your initial visit.

Unfortunately for me, turning 65 and enrolling in Medicare coincided with my move to an unfamiliar area. Bad timing. Then Medicare fouled up my record and all my claims were rejected. Plus, some doctors wouldn't accept me because Medicare kept telling them my account was suspended. It's fixed now and wow, what a difference that's made. I guess the message here is make sure your insurance is going to be valid in the new place. In hindsight, I should have paid for COBRA to maintain the employer-provided policy an extra year.

I use the Banner Health system here in the Phoenix metro. New patient appointments for allergy and asthma are currently about one month out. I got an orthopedist appt very quickly.

Old 01-30-2020, 05:08 PM

4,895 posts, read 7,697,717 times
I’m in the middle of getting ready for move right now, 3 weeks to go I wish I would have gone thru boxes with all kinds of papers (medical, insurance, retirement, taxes, etc. a long time ago. it’s now been very time consuming to go thru all of it, keep or get shredded.

Old 01-31-2020, 08:29 AM

5,840 posts, read 4,280,328 times
When I decided to move away from Minnesota, after retirement and a very bad winter, I chose a warm state. I was in such a hurry to move before the next winter that I didn't take time to really look for an apartment and just took the first one that had an opening.

It was a nice enough apartment but the windows were small and there wasn't enough sunshine in the apartment. This turned out to be depressing for me.

The next, current, apartment has great windows as well as a sliding glass door, which is wonderful. But, it's next to a highway and traffic gets heavy starting about 5 am. Very noisy.

I will be giving notice when my lease is up. I plan on getting rid of most of my furniture and downsizing to the point where I can put everything in a small storage unit. Then I will travel a bit and really take my time exploring before I make any decisions.

I'm re-looking at going to places I had first put on my list, such as Nevada, Tennessee and Florida. Even here in Arizona. So many places I haven't even seen because, having lived in Minnesota most of my life, I didn't even know what I really wanted.

I don't regret moving and I know a lot more about what I am looking for. I do wish I hadn't been so scared of traveling. I really didn't know what I wanted, I just knew I could not spend another winter in Minnesota.

I'm looking forward to this next stage of my life. I'm looking forward to visiting the places that were on my 'maybe' list, back when I first contemplated moving out of state. I'm still very glad I left winter behind.

Old 01-31-2020, 05:58 PM

15,824 posts, read 28,163,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post

I also kept a box with me that had the important things we needed for the first night & next morning in the new place: soap, toilet paper, linens, towels, shampoo, etc.
I had a bag for the first week in my new house after a 2200 mile drive with multiple dogs. Favorite shirts of different weights, stuff I'd need before my belongings arrived a week later. First night on the road, someone broke the window of my new car and took the bag and my winter coat. Thank you Columbus Ohio.

It was a miserable first week.

Old 01-31-2020, 06:21 PM

5,840 posts, read 4,280,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I had a bag for the first week in my new house after a 2200 mile drive with multiple dogs. Favorite shirts of different weights, stuff I'd need before my belongings arrived a week later. First night on the road, someone broke the window of my new car and took the bag and my winter coat. Thank you Columbus Ohio.

It was a miserable first week.
I remember that. I think we all felt the pain with you. I was terrified of that happening when I was moving here and whatever wasn't easily hid I brought in the motel rooms with me. It was a pain and the entire trip I worried.

Your experience taught us all I think.

Old 01-31-2020, 08:20 PM

6,745 posts, read 7,021,827 times
Found a better moving company that didn’t break half of our stuff would have been nice. Otherwise the end result has been awesome, I love our house, but it has taken now about 6 months to get it to the point where I’m happy - and it was a brand new house. A lot of upgrades and improvements, smart home functionality, new furniture, detail work, etc. Lots of money and work including the backyard from dirt to landscaped pool and hot tub and fire pit. But I can’t say there’s much I’d do differently except to realize it would take a lot longer than I anticipated. I thought in 2-3 months I’d be about there, but it really wasn’t anywhere close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues