U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 09:47 PM

16,104 posts, read 28,558,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I remember that. I think we all felt the pain with you. I was terrified of that happening when I was moving here and whatever wasn't easily hid I brought in the motel rooms with me. It was a pain and the entire trip I worried.

Your experience taught us all I think.
Thank you for remembering. Maybe people learned that parking under a streetlight in front of an established hotel is no guarantee!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 10:01 PM

5,937 posts, read 4,389,237 times
Jonathan, Henderson was one that was on the top of my list, as was Pahrump. Sounds like it's working out for you. I do plan on visiting both areas in my research while traveling.

Yes, brightdoglover. I may not have taken the extra time and effort to bring things into the motel room without your warnings. It was a pain but what was visible was obviously of no interest, thanks to you.

Old 02-01-2020, 06:48 PM

6,917 posts, read 7,176,127 times
Absolutely we love it! As high as I’d say my expectations were, they’ve been exceeded. I feel like a lot of people acted as though moving isn’t that big of a deal, like it doesn’t change that much. It does. It has been a complete change in my attitude day to day, I wake up to sunshine every single day, I never get rained on anymore, I enjoy the outdoors even during the winter and have a fire pit and hot tub. I love my view of the Strip and mountains around me. Maybe most of all I finally feel my house reflects where I want to be living. I was able to take out my collections and display them nicely, for the first time in a decade for some of this stuff, and the little conveniences really add up - massive walk in pantry, huge double size fridge and freezer, dedicated workout space, it all just makes day to day living awesome. Then outside my door I have no problems finding food any time day or night, and not just fast food. I am absolutely loving being here!

Old 02-02-2020, 06:01 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,389,237 times
And that's where good planning gets you. Looking back, now that I've been away from friends and family for two years, I realize I let their fears dictate where I moved.

Well, having never traveled much, I really didn't know what I was doing. But, at least I did get away from the snow and ice, which was my main objective.

I am looking forward to seeing more of the west and experiencing more adventures.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:02 PM

169 posts, read 100,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Absolutely we love it! As high as I’d say my expectations were, they’ve been exceeded. I feel like a lot of people acted as though moving isn’t that big of a deal, like it doesn’t change that much. It does. It has been a complete change in my attitude day to day, I wake up to sunshine every single day, I never get rained on anymore, I enjoy the outdoors even during the winter and have a fire pit and hot tub. I love my view of the Strip and mountains around me. Maybe most of all I finally feel my house reflects where I want to be living. I was able to take out my collections and display them nicely, for the first time in a decade for some of this stuff, and the little conveniences really add up - massive walk in pantry, huge double size fridge and freezer, dedicated workout space, it all just makes day to day living awesome. Then outside my door I have no problems finding food any time day or night, and not just fast food. I am absolutely loving being here!
Congrats, it sounds wonderful! I remember you from the planning a move thread and am so happy for you! Your experience is what I am hoping for too.

Old 02-04-2020, 03:16 PM

168 posts, read 71,924 times
Thanks all....

To get back on track, summary from my last check-in:

1. Don't underestimate the amount of time it takes to pack/unpack
2. Don't understimate the level of effort it takes to pack/unpack
3. Number/write on the side of each box (I usually do 2 sides)
4. Don't rush getting to your new location...and if you need to overnight, be cautious of theft risk
5. Whether you are renting or buying, check the neighborhood different times during the day/week (cut thru traffic is my biggest nightmare)
6. Leave plenty of time for scouting in your new location, and don't let your realtor be a deadbeat
7. Don't be surprised about post move depression (heck, I'm having pre move depression/demotivation!)
8. Don't delay finding a new doc as new appointments can take up to 6 months (eggcellent advice)
9. Make sure you've scouted out if your favorite activities are available in your new location
10. Make sure to have a plan for window shades the first night (REALLY good advice that I would not have considered)
11. Pack First night/week boxes and unpack the bed first
12. Confirm all your insurance (health, car, life, boat) will transfer with you

Couple things I did:
1. Drove and clocked the time it took from my favored neighborhood to my favorite 'regular haunts' (Costco, Trader Joe's, Grocery, Target, Starbucks, Pharmacy (CVS) and open space for the dog to run). Made sure I could live with the drives/walks
2. I took 2 days just to drive thru the 2 towns I liked, street by street. While I was driving, I had my notepad app open on my phone and used voice to text to document my thoughts about neighborhoods (literally as I was driving thru them). I tried to compare traffic, busy side streets, housing stock/upkeep, tree cover and lot sizes...as I was driving from neighborhood to neighborhood. Helped me winnow down my favorite neighborhoods pretty quickly.
3. Checked how long I have to transfer titles for the vehicles/license/register to vote.

Anything else, looking back, you think, MAN, I shoulda done X,Y,Z? (that's not already noted on the main packing thread)

Last edited by TechieTechie; 02-04-2020 at 03:31 PM..

Old 02-06-2020, 08:20 AM

3,134 posts, read 7,111,588 times
Having moved to different states I think renting for at least year if possible is the best thing to do. It gives you time to get a feel for different areas and also if living in the new state is not working out its easier to leave.

Old 02-07-2020, 11:32 AM

8,397 posts, read 6,392,393 times
We moved from Michigan to South Carolina. I planned about a year in advance. The house search for buying, house repairs for selling, schools, packing, moving companies etc.

Everything went smooth except I underestimated how much stuff we needed to move. That's a bad idea when moving during June peak moving season. We used Pack Rat. I ordered 1 16 foot trailer. We actually needed 2 16 foot trailers that was jam packed. Luckily, Pack Rat had another trailer that they delivered so it worked out. I would say to make sure you have space for everything you are taking with you. Delivery and storage was great in both Michigan and South Carolina.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:27 PM

1,773 posts, read 3,466,850 times
I moved to another house just three miles away, five years ago at age 67. I love my new home! I am so glad I moved. But looking back on it, I could have made the move so much easier on myself.

I should have realized that I am NOT a 25 year old kid any more! Or 45 years old! I did all the packing and that was too much for me. I injured myself so many times, tripping over boxes, bumping into them, throwing my back out, and injuring myself in a variety of ways like that. I had some very, very bad falls, too.

Instead, I should have told the movers to pack everything and move it. I could afford to have them do that. Then I should have just taken one suitcase and stayed in an Extended Stay America type of place, until the move was done. Unpacking was a breeze! It was packing and then living in a jungle of boxes for a few weeks until the move, that did me in.

Old 02-08-2020, 09:20 AM

169 posts, read 100,708 times
I can definitely relate to underestimating packing and abilities.

If you know you are planning a move and will sell a house, just get your house list done! I have a list by room of what needs to get done and still procrastinated. Now I'm scrambling to get the trim painted and finish the odds and ends I kept putting off.

It would help our timeline if we had been ready to sell when the job offer came through. Now we are looking at carrying 2 living spaces and the pressure is on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues