U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 10:45 AM

960 posts, read 450,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Having moved to different states I think renting for at least year if possible is the best thing to do. It gives you time to get a feel for different areas and also if living in the new state is not working out its easier to leave.
While I agree with this, it's also important to thoroughly check out the rental! I rented for less than 6 months when I moved to Cleveland, thank god! It was fine until a neighbor moved into the apartment above me, and I realized that there was NO soundproofing between floors! If I had had to live there for a year, I would have gone insane! Fortunately, I only had 2 months left of the 6 month lease and bought and moved into a house 6 weeks later.

I also agree with the hire help for the move advice. I packed and loaded up the pod myself, but hired a couple of young guys to unpack once I bought a house. No way I could lug boxes, etc up stairs! Well, I could have, but sure would have paid for it afterward!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 11:37 AM

3,078 posts, read 1,224,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
VERY good point about traffic. I looked around over a holiday weekend. The house I have my eye on is next to a school. I need to go park the car on that street during school pickup/dropoff and see how busy it is.
I wouldn't purchase a house next to a school. Never mind school pickup/dropoff, there will be noise from afternoon recess and outside assemblies. Also the possibility of Saturday morning sports games - little league, etc. Depends on how much privacy and quiet you want.

I moved down the street from a town park with a pool. I didn't realized that the town held summer camps there. The park wasn't accessible during summer camp hours.

Someone said to rent your present house for a year and rent in your new location. From MA to the midwest is a huge cultural difference.

A friend sold her house and moved to CA. She was fired in less than a year. She returned to MA significantly poorer. Another friend moved from NY to MA and hated the area. She rented which made returning easier. Another friend moved from Austin to Colorado and shortly afterwards the economy tanked.

I also agree with keeping things and not discarding. The idea of shopping for something like a new toaster or towels after a day of unpacking is exhausting.

Wish you good luck!

Old 03-01-2020, 08:50 AM

33,972 posts, read 19,481,556 times
I just downsized from a larger house to a Condo. I underestimated the amount of things that I should have gotten rid of! I have a lot of storage for a Condo but they are full.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have given more stuff to Goodwill. I let my friend talk me into keeping my Mom's old Lenox China, etc and now it's just sitting in very heavy boxes taking up room in my closets!

You can't fit everything from your large house into a two bedroom Condo.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:29 PM

31 posts, read 14,415 times
Test the drinking water. We found after we moved that it was horrible. Needed bottled water and a filter. If you have pets, what kind of pest prevention will they need? Take 1/2 of what you think you will need, except during COVID 19 take everything you cannot replace at one of the essential stores. Get rid of (most) sentimental stuff like mom's china, etc. The people you love live in your heart, not in belongings. i agree in renting for 6-12 months. We did in the new place and wish I had rented my old house instead of selling it, though with this virus it may have been a good idea - time will tell.

Old 05-02-2020, 06:42 PM

169 posts, read 101,283 times
We were going to leave tomorrow but are pushing it back to Monday just so I can chill and finish the odds and ends without losing my mind. The truck was packed up Thursday so we are basically camping inside with odds and ends.

1- every time you want to put off dealing with an object, don't. Just get it done. Keep telling yourself every single thing HAS to be gone.

2-pay attention to trash and donation days. Our trash day is Tuesday so I made a dump run today for all the last week trash and stuff that seems to keep multiplying. I had to pay attention to open hours. No Sundays so planning ahead was necessary.

3-donating takes a little more effort while things are semi shut down. I did a ton of pick ups on NextDoor but I should have just loaded it all up and drove it across town. Too much time was spent replying and coordinating multiple pick ups, even if just putting it on porch.

4-the Upack truck experience has been great so far but highly recommend hiring loaders and having it all done and locked up by them. We were left with odds and ends that couldn't be in boxes. Maybe there was a way to pack them we didn't know about but they left it to us. Garden tools, folding bookcase, etc. to add in and those ramps and bulkhead doors are extremely heavy. I hired my son's friend to help put them back on.

This has been absolutely awful even though I thought I had been planning so well and over time. I ignored little things and am now stuck, plus we had some stuff that we were either too tired to put on or didn't fit on truck.

Old 05-03-2020, 09:52 PM

4,388 posts, read 3,918,308 times
I put stuff on the curb with a free sign to get rid of it. I don't advertise. It's always been taken.

We moved furniture here becuase we had bought it new and got nice quality three years earlier. The furniture doesn't fit this house. We still have it, but if we move again, it's going. I've found that a lot of things don't fit the new house when you move. Get rid of what you can and start over.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:17 AM

13,045 posts, read 10,368,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
There are lots of factors, many of which depend on individual circumstance.

But I would say the highest thing we didn't take into consideration when we first moved was traffic. We opted to rent for a year while looking for a house to buy. We scoped several complexes and found one that suited us for square footage and seemed close enough to hubby's workplace. Traffic didn't seem bad, but then we were out looking at midday. 7 am traffic was much, much worse than we realized. What should have been a 20 minute drive turned into an hour or more. By the time we were ready to buy we had a better understanding of traffic difficulties and purchased accordingly.
That was so me when I moved to Hawaii, Oahu, DURING WINTER BREAK. There was no traffic. What's all the fuss?
Until it wasn't winter break and it took over an hour to go 20 miles.
This last move I wish I'd chosen my rental unit more carefully. My neighbor is a bit of a psycho.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:32 AM

12,073 posts, read 5,933,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
Okay, so we know hindsight is 20/20 (or at least doesn't need reading glasses). For those of you who have moved, looking back, is there anything you said...Dang, I wish we would have considered XYZ before we decided to move (or as part of the move)?

Inching closer to a decision to move 1/2 way across the country and I'm scared I haven't thought of something

TIA
Wish I would have known there would be a pandemic and a global economic collapse.

Old 05-10-2020, 11:19 AM

5,948 posts, read 4,402,033 times
Wish I had visited Tennessee like I was going to. I didn't because I was warned it was tough for people with allergies. Guess what? My allergies followed me here to Arizona.

I'm actually glad I did move to Arizona but am moving from my current apartment. It has been totally awful since new neighbors moved in upstairs last October. They make noises I've never heard before. And I'm sure they are not doing it on purpose. The insulation in this building is not very good would be my guess.

But I am glad I came to Arizona. I had never been here and there is still a lot I have to explore. Also, since I know I'm going to have allergies anywhere, I'm looking forward to exploring Tennessee too.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:03 PM
Her

293 posts, read 786,826 times
Wish I had sold/donated everything. I thought I was moving for a six month stint, so put my things into storage - turned into a long term move and the trios bake to purge the storage unit were nothing but a nussiance. Not worth it! Never again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues