Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2008, 12:43 PM

32 posts, read 99,718 times

Advertisements

I'm all new to this whole online information community. I have lived in Pgh, PA all of my life and would like to relocate to another state. Any assistance is appreciated negative and positive opinions. I'm in the process of researching different states now and have been reading multiple postings and replies to various places. I really like DC and I've heard so much about ATL. I'm looking to start over in a new area that has no snow or at least hardly ever snows (temperate climate all year round if possible), with a large AA community, moderately priced housing, with diverse career opportunities, with a variety of social events to choose from including: nightclubs, plays, poetry readings, singles, and many many more. I'm interested in any opinions of how to relocate, what areas are a good place to start, what information to get before you go, what preparations needed before leaving a familiar area to move to a new unfamiliar one. Thank you so much for any and all responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 01:03 PM

Thank you so much allforcats, I really appreciate the reference website. I will definitely check it out

Old 04-23-2008, 01:54 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,093,857 times
You're very welcome, Wanting! When you narrow down your location ideas, c'mon back to City-Data and ask questions about those locations on those forums. The answers you get (plus the statistical info on City-Data.com and through Google) will help you choose, and also help you figure out the most successful and satisfying ways for you to start a new life.

Don't forget to Google! Any idea you can think of, you can type into the Google search line and get lots of info, and in no time you'll learn how to be selective.

If at all possible, plan for, and save for, taking a vacation to your chosen location(s) so that you get a real understanding, not just an idea, of the vibes there.

I've started many new lives during this one, and each time I've had more fun than the previous. This could be the most fun you've ever had!

Old 04-27-2008, 10:23 PM

633 posts, read 2,540,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Wanting, you're going to love this! ****.com
Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You!
If you answer their many, detailed questions truthfully and heartfully, what will come up at the end is several places in the U.S. that could make your heart sing.

Have fun!! and welcome to a new life! Remember that no matter what path you choose, now or ever, Life will always show you the best that path has to offer you. Go forth in joy!

And as for "what preparations needed before leaving a familiar area to move to a new unfamiliar one", there are logistics like ending your cable service, and getting back your various deposits, and what you must take with you and what you can sell.

But from one who has moved several times, my best advice is to dream big about what you really want in life, start thinking about details months in advance, so you can make a list and add to or change the list, and therefore not be unhappily surprised at the end.

Meaning: dream, plan, be flexible enough to see when Life is offering you great ideas, and make choices that make you feel centered. See yourself as a bamboo tree, bending in the wind rather than breaking in it. Go with the flow of your own heart, Wanting, and you will have fun!
Thank you for such a great post! It's very true, what you said about choices that make you feel centered. I tend to forget that sometimes. I need to listen to that inner voice, it will never steer me wrong.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
But from one who has moved several times, my best advice is to dream big about what you really want in life, start thinking about details months in advance, so you can make a list and add to or change the list, and therefore not be unhappily surprised at the end. !

Oh my goodness thank you so much ALLFORCATS, I finally got a chance to visit Best Places to Live: Compare the Best Cities & Small Towns for You! and I was virtually impressed. Even though it is a simple quiz which by all means may not be that reliable it was fun to do. I find it interesting that many of the states that the quiz spit out to me were a few places i've already been researching so I think i'm on the right track. Thanks again i can't tell you how excited i am right now........i love researching and learning new things about new places and places that i've formerly known. I just can't wait to leave the burgh now

Old 04-29-2008, 07:57 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,093,857 times
YOU'RE WELCOME YOU'RE WELCOME, Wanting!! I'm so glad you're finding that site helpful. I think one of its great services is getting one to become really detailed about what one wants and doesn't want, don't you think?

Good for you that you're so excited and having so much fun!! You're doing it right!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues