U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM

71,442 posts, read 5,711,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
As a very first step: Sell or give away everything you don't cherish and don't use very much.

Lighten your load just as much as you can. Go deep.

I learned the hard way that once all those treasures go into storage, you won't even notice most of them are gone, and you will end up paying the storage bill for months (or years in my case) to come.

My sister didn't own as much stuff as I, so she rented a much smaller storage unit. Cheaper, too. After about 10 years of storage, I helped her clear her unit out. Almost all of it were things she no longer needed or wanted. The stuff she kept was nothing but a tiny fraction of the junk. She really didn't need all her daughter's 8-year-old belongings any more when her daughter was 18, though she thought she did when she moved it into the unit.

Moving is stressful and hard. Using a storage unit is adding another move to the move. Once you have moved to your new place and are settled in, the last thing you will want to do is deal with the jumble that's packed in the storage unit.

Things like pots and pans will be replaced before you'll go hunting in the unit for the old ones. Old bedding and lots of other worn stuff will be replaced too. Old clothes won't be worn again later on if you don't wear them now.

The trick is to lose it before the unit is packed full. There is always time pressure in every move, and there will always be some furniture and other stuff that will want to be kept.
If you can save the real treasures and dump the stuff that is battered, worn out, un-used, and isn't really necessary, the storage will be cheaper, much easier to find what you need in it, and make clearing it out much easier.

If you must rent one, put a definite time limit on the rent. For me, that was 90 days the second time I rented one after another move. At the end of 90 days, I stripped out the unit and moved the stuff into my new home first, before anything else.

Best of luck to you! Moving is super-hard at the best, and it's very seldom the best. The time you take now in lightening up will pay big dividends when you have resettled.
ITA, have a good purge, you probably don't want or need much of the stuff you have, so no point in paying rent to keep it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:10 AM

1 posts
Default Maybe yes!

This quite confusing if you can do it or not

Old Today, 02:05 PM

13,496 posts, read 6,934,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibinfotech View Post
This quite confusing if you can do it or not
Because everyone's reason for storing stuff is different. Everyone's options for storing stuff is different. What it will cost to store stuff is different. There is no single answer to the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues