U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 08:16 AM

1,078 posts, read 3,744,975 times

Advertisements

We are under contract on our home, and have to move out in 7 weeks. If we don't find a new house very soon, we are going to do an apartment rental. I'm looking for tips on storage for our stuff- and we have a lot of stuff! It's a 5 bedroom house, and we also are taking our fridge, washer/dryer, and patio furniture. We are definitely hiring professional movers.

Would you recommend a traditional storage facility? A storage facility that the moving company manages? Or something like the PODS system? I'm willing to pay a premium if it means less hassle, but I also don't want to waste money. This would be a local metro area move.

Finally, with so much stuff, how do you determine how much rental space you need? I don't even know where to begin with calculating size needs. I'd hate to hire movers and then find out on moving day that I didn't rent enough space

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by Go Blue 99; 03-11-2020 at 08:31 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2020, 11:36 AM

3,168 posts, read 6,284,085 times
If you contact a regular moving company (as opposed to a guy with a truck) then they will have a storage facility and can give you a quote.

I did this once many years ago, where some items were stored and some were delivered to an apartment. More recently I had a moving company drop off items at two different locations.

I don't remember how much extra it cost but it was a small fraction of the total cost.

Old 03-11-2020, 01:23 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,282,078 times
Can you park a 28' trailer at the house for loading ? If so, check with Upack's Trailer service. You (or helpers) load a 28' trailer. They store it at their terminal until you need it delivered. For the trailer, you pay by the foot used.

https://www.upack.com/moving-service...ifications.asp

https://help.upack.com/Storage/

Old 03-11-2020, 10:46 PM

2,394 posts, read 1,332,380 times
If you use a moving company that has a storage facility will you be able to access it? I would rent at least one storage garage to store stuff, like vital paperwork that you may need access to just in case. You could also store the essentials you will need right away to live at your new place that can be moved at a moments notice. A large storage company you may have to schedule move and may take a few days or more to get moved.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:24 AM

4,561 posts, read 13,568,102 times
There are pros and cons to having the moving company store your belongings, or filling containers and having them stored, or renting storage units.

You will not have access to anything if stored by movers or in a container. You will have access if you rent a unit (in your case units plural).

If stored by movers or in a unit, your belongings get moved four times increasing the risk for damage. If put into containers, they're moved only twice - into the container at the origin and out of the container at the destination.

Containers are not climate controlled and there's the potential they can be stored outside. Some container storage facilities do have inside storage, and some do not. Some mover's storage warehouses are climate controlled by default, but some offer choices for an additional fee. Same choice with storage units. Depending on time of year and where you live, climate control can be important.

If you rent units and hire a mover to take your belongings to the storage facility, with such a large amount of belongings requiring a large truck, that truck won't fit and shuttling (transferring belongings out of the large truck into either a smaller truck or walking them long distance) will add to the cost of the move.

You can hire labor to pack your belongings into a container and then hire labor to unload it at your new house.

Usually we've been fortunate to move out and move in within a short span of time and hired movers to load, transport, unload. But once we had a couple of weeks between move out and move in, and did have to do a combination. We hired a mover to load and then store the majority of our things except what we needed immediately at move-in like beds, basic kitchen items. For these items we hired labor to pack a U-Haul and unload into a storage unit, then hired labor to retrieve them from the unit and load them into another U-Haul and unload at our new house. Lastly we had a container that we filled way ahead of our move with things like Christmas decorations and other attic items. This stuff left our old house first and arrived at our new house last.

The last thing that anyone who's moving needs is more stress on the plate! Whichever method you choose, make a good list of questions to ask. If you choose to have a mover load and store essentially everything, ask for details about the entire process - where exactly your belongings will be warehoused, when and how and by whom it will be unloaded off the truck and placed into storage, is storage climate controlled, the turn-around to get your belongings out of storage and onto a truck and delivered. Guaranteed they won't give you a firm answer on this latter. Choosing containers - ask about the exact location of storage, about the delivery time of the empty container(s), how long you have to fill it/them, the timing for picking it/them up, and then the turn-around to have it/them delivered to your new home.

One last thing to know is that sometimes in mover's warehouses belongings get shifted around to make space for others' belongings or to retrieve others' belongings stored behind yours. It's the same with containers - where they are initially stored is not always where they stay. If you choose reputable companies with decent reviews and feel comfortable with the salesperson or move coordinator you talk to, you can believe that they will take care of your belongings to the best of their abilities.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:21 AM

26,040 posts, read 17,420,660 times
As a very first step: Sell or give away everything you don't cherish and don't use very much.

Lighten your load just as much as you can. Go deep.

I learned the hard way that once all those treasures go into storage, you won't even notice most of them are gone, and you will end up paying the storage bill for months (or years in my case) to come.

My sister didn't own as much stuff as I, so she rented a much smaller storage unit. Cheaper, too. After about 10 years of storage, I helped her clear her unit out. Almost all of it were things she no longer needed or wanted. The stuff she kept was nothing but a tiny fraction of the junk. She really didn't need all her daughter's 8-year-old belongings any more when her daughter was 18, though she thought she did when she moved it into the unit.

Moving is stressful and hard. Using a storage unit is adding another move to the move. Once you have moved to your new place and are settled in, the last thing you will want to do is deal with the jumble that's packed in the storage unit.

Things like pots and pans will be replaced before you'll go hunting in the unit for the old ones. Old bedding and lots of other worn stuff will be replaced too. Old clothes won't be worn again later on if you don't wear them now.

The trick is to lose it before the unit is packed full. There is always time pressure in every move, and there will always be some furniture and other stuff that will want to be kept.
If you can save the real treasures and dump the stuff that is battered, worn out, un-used, and isn't really necessary, the storage will be cheaper, much easier to find what you need in it, and make clearing it out much easier.

If you must rent one, put a definite time limit on the rent. For me, that was 90 days the second time I rented one after another move. At the end of 90 days, I stripped out the unit and moved the stuff into my new home first, before anything else.

Best of luck to you! Moving is super-hard at the best, and it's very seldom the best. The time you take now in lightening up will pay big dividends when you have resettled.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:36 AM

3,373 posts, read 4,077,196 times
Storing "stuff", didn't work out for us.

When we decided to fulltime RV, we gave stuff away, sold stuff, and were left with what we couldn't possibly part with...enough to shoehorn into a 10x10 conditioned storage cube. It sat there for about 10 years...the rent started out reasonable, but over time increased to about $150/month. I figure we spent $12,000 storing that "stuff", precious handed down antiques, mementos, etc.....it was not a good financial decision.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 03-16-2020, 06:39 AM

1,078 posts, read 3,744,975 times
Thanks for the advice all! Will start getting some quotes.

Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM

11,919 posts, read 16,665,122 times
We are considering a rental unit for things we don't use. One area location has a 10 x 7.5 for $82 but their larger 10 x 10 are only $69. We have no visibility on time frames. It would be nice to rent one for a year and what are the pros and cons of long term in a storage rental?

Any issues with needing to move out in say 6 months which would be 5+ or 6 months early?
(their terms of service says that unused months are refundable but only full months)

Thanks.

Old Yesterday, 05:45 PM

13,496 posts, read 6,934,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
We are considering a rental unit for things we don't use. One area location has a 10 x 7.5 for $82 but their larger 10 x 10 are only $69. We have no visibility on time frames. It would be nice to rent one for a year and what are the pros and cons of long term in a storage rental?

Any issues with needing to move out in say 6 months which would be 5+ or 6 months early?
(their terms of service says that unused months are refundable but only full months)

Thanks.
As for renting a unit long term, obviously the terms of the rental contract matter. They vary. There may be no incentives for renting for any particular period of time. Also consider variations in the environment...heat, cold, damp and humidity, even insects. Hopefully not rodents. If they're going to fluctuate a lot over that longer time, it could affect what will be safe to store in it. For example; in my little town none of the rental storage places are heated. They may be perfectly dry and protected from most pests, but contents will freeze from about November through April. In a hot climate you'd have the opposite problem; if no AC in the building, damage from excessive heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues