Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 05:05 PM

349 posts, read 243,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
I would not give any notice to anyone, until this is over. Likely wherever anyone is today, will be in the same place 2 months from now. "shelter in place".
I almost gave notice to my employer last friday, with the idea of starting to drive towards FL next day, but the sudden escalations, mentioning of possible domestic travel bans and other things, spooked me and postponed it all. Imagine giving notice one day, next day you get a notice that you are not allowed to go anywhere for 2 months. No home, no job, no health insurance.
Another thing to consider, is only give notice once you are already on the other side with apartment and job started. It is an axhoie movie, but you have to protect yourself from total ruin. Before leaving, take a week off or something.
Oh, I’m not telling my employer anything until we know we are moving. But our lease is up in June so we have to give 60 days notice or renew a lease. That’s less than 2 weeks away. Depending how things go next week I may ask the landlord to extend the time frame because of this craziness going on.

Thanks for the insight, though. I really hope this doesn’t last 2 more months. But we have to take this one day at a time. Be safe!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 06:15 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
As a public service announcement for anyone who might actually believe this idiocy, it's not about you getting sick, it's about preventing the geometric spread of the virus and overwhelming hospitals.

The Wuhan virus is highly contagious, both through the air and surfaces. It attacks the lungs, which requires ICU's and respirators. There are only so many ICU's and respirators in the country, certainly not enough for a widespread outbreak.

That's why epidemiologists are asking everyone to "shelter in place", avoid close contact, stay sanitized, etc., to keep from spreading the virus too quickly. It's not about protecting the 75% who won't get sick, or the 20% who will get sick but not enough to require hospitalization. It's about protecting the elderly and others with compromised immune systems or other problems from DYING.

They're trying to flatten the curve so hospitals can accommodate a steady flow of patients, and not just let it explode out of control as happened in Italy, to the point where people over 80 are basically being left to die.
Again, most of the people in this country don't need to worry. Just because the idiotic media is freaking you out doesn't mean most of the people in this country need to worry. I don't give a damn if people are losing their ish over this, I'm going to continue carrying on with my life as I always do. If you're that afraid, then you stay in your home. I'm going to go and do what I need to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Thanks. It' nice you got out in the last minute. I was looking into relocation and jobs in TX, FL, NC, for almost 2 years now. I have to get out of CA, and now CA is more CA than it was before.
I wouldn't say it was "last minute", but for some reason the media really started to pump up the fear mongering in the week that I was moving. The cases in WA state were in January, and everyone went about their lives. But then, the media decided to start inducing panic into everyone in March. Earlier this week, I got a text message from the county I used to live in CA. They were ordering people to stay home unless it was "essential". Again, my timing is not usually good, but this time it was. Oddly enough, the app jobs that I do on the side have sent out messages that app drivers are still allowed to be out. So, yeah, I would have still been working, delivering to all of those sick people! And, according to some, spreading it around to everyone else. Whatever.

Quote:
I would not give any notice to anyone, until this is over. Likely wherever anyone is today, will be in the same place 2 months from now. "shelter in place".
I almost gave notice to my employer last friday, with the idea of starting to drive towards FL next day, but the sudden escalations, mentioning of possible domestic travel bans and other things, spooked me and postponed it all. Imagine giving notice one day, next day you get a notice that you are not allowed to go anywhere for 2 months. No home, no job, no health insurance.
Another thing to consider, is only give notice once you are already on the other side with apartment and job started. It is an axhoie movie, but you have to protect yourself from total ruin. Before leaving, take a week off or something.
Yeah, and I'm sure that out of 310 or more millions in this country, you're not the only one who almost gave notice - I'm sure some actually did. And then this nonsense of some states forcing people to stay in their homes. They've known about this stupid virus for months. If Newsom wanted people to "flatten the curve" or "stay in their homes", he could have given them some notice. "You have one week to get everything together, because next week, we are going to instruct everyone to stay indoors." He had that power all along. Why didn't he use it and do it with some kind of notice for people instead of just plopping it on them, potentially screwing people over really badly in the process? Well, it doesn't scare people as much when you give them notice.

As for what you need to do - if this is how people are going to react to a virus, then you do what you have to do. I don't blame you for waiting until you are set up with your new digs and new job to give notice. The way people are acting right now is irrational, so, you do things that you wouldn't normally do, because no one else is going to protect you. They're too concerned about stoking panic and hoarding.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 03-21-2020 at 06:27 AM..

Old 03-21-2020, 10:41 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luo2013 View Post
We are planning to move out of state when our lease is up in June. However my husband is still looking for a job. This has obviously affected places hiring right now. He is in process with a remote position that they’re looking to have filled May 4th, so that may give us the opportunity to leave. Though that’s if he’s successful in getting an offer. He may be able to continue at his current company and work remotely but won’t know if that’s an option until next week.

My position has the option to telework (and I’ve been doing so since last Wednesday). It’s not a guarantee I can stay on if we move, but I’m hoping they’d rather keep me on then try to hire someone new and start from scratch.

Anyway, all that to say, it’s all up in the air. And stressful trying to figure out do we give notice to our landlord about moving out or renew a lease in case this is still crazy by then? (I just don’t want to wait another year to move!)
Ask your LL if you can do a month to month lease.

Old 03-21-2020, 02:02 PM

349 posts, read 243,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
Ask your LL if you can do a month to month lease.
We live at an apartment complex, and got our renewal rates information last week. Month to month is too expensive - like $600/month more than we’re paying now. Even a 12-month lease is about a $70/month increase. We could renew with a longer lease, but then we would still have to pay to break it early. Hence our predicament.

Old 03-21-2020, 03:52 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,539,685 times
Yup! Moving to Washington state of all places next weekend. Hired a small U-Haul, hired 2 guys to load up on the So. California end, then 2 guys scheduled to unload in Washington. Some furniture we were going to have picked up by Salvation Army is postponed till mid April. Looks like they'll be coming with unless the apartment complex here would schedule a pick up after we leave.
The apartment we're moving to has been great and keeping us informed. Apartment is ready for us, cleaned and sanitized. When we go in I'll be spraying down the surfaces again anyways.
Husband btw, will be working from home with the same company he's been with for years. We've tripled up our earthquake supply kit and should be good for a few weeks isolation situation.

Sigh... we were so excited to get the go ahead on tellecommuting in January. Some of us have rotten timing eh?

Old 03-23-2020, 05:54 PM

1,665 posts, read 974,344 times
Nope. Just waiting on the bank to finalize everything. Just ready to get out of Louisiana.

We live in a rural area and will be buying in another rural area. To me that is about the best my family can do.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:03 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
Once again, I have the option of moving from CA to the east coast with my same company. My present lease is up in September.

This thing should be done by then, but I have several concerns. I called moving companies and no problem, they’re still doing moves.

Flights are probably the main issue. That would suck if my stuff went and we got stuck. If this isn’t completely over and done, I’ll postpone.

Old 03-25-2020, 12:16 PM

172 posts, read 145,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I was in the middle of moving when you started this thread. (Edit: Check that, I had just completed my move when you started this thread.)

I moved from CA to the east coast. The difference is that I work for myself, so I didn't have to deal with trying to get a new job. And, considering the over hyped panic about this virus, it means most people aren't going to be getting their new job any time soon.

I drove the entire way because it's the cheapest way to go. I shipped one big box of clothes, packed my pets, laptop, and a few things in my car, and stayed at truck stops along the way. (Get their apps, helps to find them when you're getting tired and need to stop - and they don't care if you sleep in their parking lot, that's what they are there for - not just for truckers, but for cars, too.)

I got here one week before the major panic happened, so I was able to go to the store and get whatever I needed as the shelves were pretty well stocked, except for pasta for some reason. It's not often that I have good timing, but this time I did. If I had waited one more week, I would have empty cupboards and fridge right now thanks to the hoarders.

You're not going to get sick. Just use truck stops. Sleeping in your car isn't always the most comfortable, but you can do it, and you stay in your car. You have a restroom right there at the truck stop, you have gas, and you have access to food. Not the best food, but it's food.

If you don't have any current health problems, then you're worrying needlessly.

The panic stricken don't like to hear this but it's the truth: People are panicking unnecessarily about this.

Again, if you don't have any respiratory problems, don't have any health problems, are not elderly, your chances of getting sick are slim. If you do get sick, your chances of it being mild and not even needing medical care are high. These are the facts that the blabbering idiots on the news don't like sharing with people. Where's the fun in that? It's better to scare the crap out of everyone to keep them glued to their channel - all that ad revenue!

Your biggest problem right now is finding any damn food when you get to your new place, because of panic stricken, insensitive hoarders who don't give a damn about anyone else.
Thank you, that is very helpful! We are still moving because my husband is already working in the new state. We just went under contract on our house and people were touring as of last weekend. Fingers crossed we can close on both places before anything else gets shut down. My son and I will have a 2 day drive to the new place.

Old 03-25-2020, 04:59 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,775,842 times
The last 2 weeks were daily escalations and policy changes and a lot of uncertainty. I think a month from now at least whatever situation there will be, will be stable and more predictable. So, I am waiting for that.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:31 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times
My plan was to give notice on my apartment April 1 and move at the end of May. My lease is up at the end of April and a 60 day notice is required here. The move was from AZ to TX. Looking at the projections, April & May will be the peak months for the virus, so that plan is down the drain. Like someone else posted, I can't see trying to get set up with new doctors in a new city while all of this is going on. I'm also not sure I could get moving labor on both sides of the move, if that's a business that isn't considered essential in either city. Now I get to decide if I want to renew for 6 months or a year. I'm not thrilled with either option since it means a hefty rent increase and my reason for moving was COL. Oh well, like the song says, "you make your plans and you hear god laughing". At least I do have a Plan B, even though I don't like it. Some folks don't have even that, and I try to remind myself of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues