Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 06:31 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,308,300 times

Advertisements

My answers is uppercase below. Not shouting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
The risks, (mostly financial):
- by the time I start, the office would be probably closed and everyone WFH, hard to get on-boarded.
SO WHAT. THIS IS THEIR PROBLEM IF THERE IS A DELAY.

- would have to live in a temporary apartment for 2 months minimum, that is not too good for isolation from other people in case social distancing is ordered. My current house in CA is a separate SFH.

AN APARTMENT SHOULDN'T BE AN ISSUE. YOU HAVE SEPARATE EXTERIOR ENTRY DOORS AND DIFFERENT HEAT/AC VENTS PER APARTMENT. AIR ISN'T BE SHARED.

- If I get sick while living in the temp apartment, they would not let me back into the complex (in case of leaving for groceries), I would be homeless while sick and likely die.

NOBODY IS GOING TO REFUSE YOU TO ENTER YOUR APARTMENT. WHEN PEOPLE ISOLATE, THERE IS NOT RULE THAT SAYS IT'S ONLY FOR SINGLE FAMILY HOMES.

- By the time I get to move into the temp apartment and want to buy a month supply of groceries the grocery store might be empty or closed.

YOU CAN GET FOOD AT GROCERY STORES IN FLORIDA. EVEN NOW WITH CRAZY FRENZY, FOOD IS AVAILABLE.

- can get sick on the road, while stopping in many cities and hotel rooms. While sick from CV hotels and apartments or even the company would not let me in and I would become homeless and unemployed and uninsured (could cost my savings on out of pocket hospital intensive care for weeks).

DO YOU HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE? KEEP IT EVEN IF COBRA UNTIL YOU START YOUR NEW JOB AND GET THEIR HEALTH INSURANCE. IF YOU GET SICK AND CANNOT START, THEN YOU CONTACT THEM AND DELAY THE START DATE DUE TO ILLNESS.

- Temporary apartment might have shared HVAC system, that would be bad right now.

NO SHARED HVAC IN STANDARD FLORIDA APARTMENTS. SURELY YOU KNOW OF THE PLACE ALREADY. IF A STANDARD APARTMENT COMPLEX, NO SHARED HVAC.

- Halfway on the way, away from home and from destination, may need to be quarantined, or my destination town might get quarantined, or general interstate roads might get closed by then like in Italy right now. Resulting in being stuck in a an in-between state for months. IT'S NOT LIKE YOU ARE TRAVELING FOR 10 DAYS. YOU WILL KNOW THIS BEFORE YOU LEAVE AND CAN DELAY START DATE ACCORDINGLY. OR IF YOU ARE AT HOTEL IN MIDDLE OF TRIP AND A QUARENTINE, THEN YOU DELAY START DATE.
- Anything other, potentially devastating...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 07:07 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
My company moved to a work-from-home policy starting on Monday. We are still hiring for some positions. What we'll do during this policy is ship a company laptop to new hires and on-board them remotely. It's not ideal, but we can make it work in the interim.

My point is, don't just cancel without reaching out to the new company and seeing what your options are. Maybe you can on-board from your current location and relocate later, once everything has settled down with all of the uncertainty.

Old 03-13-2020, 08:00 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
I wouldn't let anything stop me. If you want the job, get up there.

Old 03-13-2020, 08:22 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,078 times
Thanks.

I am a design engineer, I always look at worst case scenarios.

This is some kind of a long term hotel, with full kitchen inside each unit. The room entry door seems to be from an internal corridor, that is through main door and reception.

The WFH might persist for 2-6 months.

Old 03-13-2020, 08:45 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
It's too bad so many are caught up in this big psyop mess. IMO this common cold virus is a political infection far more than any sort of danger. Remember Y2K?

NOTHING has happened before like these insane consequences. Pro sports cancellations, classes cancelled, everything cancelled.

Turn off your TV, turn off NPR. Everyone is caught up in this insanity, but look at the numbers. Insignificant cases insignificant fatality numbers in the grand scheme of things, under 100 in the USA. Out of 330 million. About 1,000 people a day die in the US of medical errors and malpractice. Has anyone made a big stink about that? No.

Overreaction much? Good luck coming out of this OK, I mean job-wise not coronafake-wise. In two or three months this insanity will hopefully pass. Meanwhile lives are disrupted, jobs lost, the poorest will be the worst affected.

And what's with the toilet paper?

Old 03-13-2020, 10:30 PM

172 posts, read 145,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Thanks.

I am a design engineer, I always look at worst case scenarios.

This is some kind of a long term hotel, with full kitchen inside each unit. The room entry door seems to be from an internal corridor, that is through main door and reception.

The WFH might persist for 2-6 months.
That's the type of place my husband is staying in. Other than a few nights of some all night neighbors, it has been pretty quiet. Not the best setup but everyone has been friendly. His office went WFH but at this point, he is allowed to go in, as are some others.

Old 03-14-2020, 06:14 AM

7,342 posts, read 4,134,790 times
My daughter is starting a new job five states from home. We've been here a for two weeks while she started training. We are living in a hotel until her apartment is ready on Monday.

Her job is fine for now. We were able to get 12 rolls of toilet paper and I'm hoping to go food shopping when the apartment is available on Monday.

We are in Virginia which is about two weeks behind Westchester in terms of the virus. I hoping we can settle down before it hits like it did in New Rochelle.

Old 03-14-2020, 11:58 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
I'm holding off on selling my house because we have plans to move to a different state when we do sell. I just can't imagine trying to find new doctors, new stores and just starting from scratch in a new state with everything going on at this time. We're not cancelling our plans but we are postponing them.

Old 03-14-2020, 03:16 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,362,001 times
We are having our retirement home built (ground is being broken in three days) with an estimated finish in four or five months IF things go as planned. Our current plan is to move into an extended stay place one month before completion, but this might change if we have problems selling our current home (currently we are in a hot market for our price range. If that happens, I am not sure what we will do.

Old 03-14-2020, 05:53 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,078 times
Domestic travel will be restricted.
Trump mentioned twice the last few days.
Florida governor is asking for it too.
I think it will happen within a week.
Obviously if no travel then there is no moving either.
First travel is restricted, then local movement or curfew. Both would inhibit a relocation process.
With curfew, you have no access to temporary housing, to buy supplies, to go to mank, to meet with escrow about signing documents, to go to open house events...

https://www.politico.com/states/flor...travel-1267088
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues