Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 02:43 PM

679 posts, read 878,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
What do you do with the 2 cats?
Actually most cats cannot take a 1 hour drive, would go crazy on a 5 day drive.
My husband I drove from St. Petersburg, FL to Gold Beach, Oregon with both cats in March of 2019. They were great. Not happy, but they settled in. However, things are changing by the hour here and now it looks like I will be driving with one cat. It’s difficult trying to come to an agreement with someone who has a TBI. Initially, he wanted me to take both cats because he was going to kill himself but now he’s decided he wants to keep one.

My choices are: getting in my car and driving 3000 miles with a cat by myself OR selling my car, getting a ride to Eugene airport 4 hours away, spending the night in a hotel the night before the 5 am departure, two flights, finding a ride from Philadelphia to a hotel or Airbnb and stay there for 2 weeks in quarantine from the flights and then getting a ride to where I’ll be living.

I wish the OP and I could do a convoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 05:04 AM

275 posts, read 285,487 times
Buenos: May I ask what sites listed this information? I'll need to keep up on this as the months continue.
Thanks.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:36 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayMoveInFuture View Post
Buenos: May I ask what sites listed this information? I'll need to keep up on this as the months continue.
Thanks.
Various websites combined.
Here is one of them:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/30/coro...usinesses.html
These pages are not update, and new pages get created, so use google search "travel restrictions states", "reopening states"...

Old 05-06-2020, 07:23 PM

275 posts, read 285,487 times
Thank you!

Old 05-07-2020, 07:28 PM

679 posts, read 878,221 times
I just found a new service that is saving my life. But first, in answer to the question of what’s open and closed and travel restrictions, you may “pass through” most every place except barrier islands who restrict access to residents. I had to leave my home briefly last week to stay in the Motel 6 in town. They were only accepting essential workers, travelers in distress, and locals in distress. I saw three other people while I was there. I was told most other hotels are the same, but not to assume anything.

In addition to my own experience, I have learned that there is a service where people drive other people’s cars for them. With passengers and without. The driver I’m hiring just drove from Naples, Florida to Providence, Rhode Island. He comes with excellent references. He doesn’t charge extra for pets. So I have a second driver and someone to change the tire when it goes flat. I’m so relieved!

Old 05-11-2020, 07:48 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,777,078 times
Just arrived to apartment in Florida, on my 5-day drive from CA. Through CA-AZ-NM-TX-LA-MS-AL-FL.

Lots of traffic in Florida and Texas, other states were not desolate either. Dallas highways congested.

No hard enforcement of essential travel.
At the Florida I-10 checkpoint they asked me whether I have been to Louisiana/NY/NJ ? I answered no and did not have to fill out paperwork. I told them I passed through northern Lousiana on the highway but didnt stop, they said okay.
Hotel receptionists didn't question my essential travel, most were weaing masks, except in Arizona. The hotel in Arizona had lots of guests. The hotel in NM were asking me whether I had any positive covid19 tests. In Texas, gas station plazas have lots of people, some wearing masks others dont.
I booked the hotels few days in advance, at holiday inn express, over the phone, not online.
I saw lots of out of state license plates in all 8 states I traveled through.

Other regions might have different experience, especially the north east or around the great lakes, more restrictions or enforcement, I have not been there.
Trip was between May 7...11 in 2020.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:57 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Just arrived to apartment in Florida, on my 5-day drive from CA. Through CA-AZ-NM-TX-LA-MS-AL-FL.

Lots of traffic in Florida and Texas, other states were not desolate either. Dallas highways congested.

No hard enforcement of essential travel.
At the Florida I-10 checkpoint they asked me whether I have been to Louisiana/NY/NJ ? I answered no and did not have to fill out paperwork. I told them I passed through northern Lousiana on the highway but didnt stop, they said okay.
Hotel receptionists didn't question my essential travel, most were weaing masks, except in Arizona. The hotel in Arizona had lots of guests. The hotel in NM were asking me whether I had any positive covid19 tests. In Texas, gas station plazas have lots of people, some wearing masks others dont.
I booked the hotels few days in advance, at holiday inn express, over the phone, not online.
I saw lots of out of state license plates in all 8 states I traveled through.

Other regions might have different experience, especially the north east or around the great lakes, more restrictions or enforcement, I have not been there.
Trip was between May 7...11 in 2020.
Thanks for the update. Welcome to FL, a Phase 2 state.

My relatives' move from TX to MA at the end of April was uneventful panic-epidemic-wise. They had other types of "fun" unrelated. They did it in 5 days, 4 nights staying in campgrounds. They didn't go near southern NY, instead going through Upstate as in Niagara Falls area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues