Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 02:58 PM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I very much agree with you!
Thx Mawi!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 03:31 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I'm happy to see people who are willing to work and I'm grateful to people who work at difficult and sometimes unpleasant jobs. If a little extra tip keeps someone returning to work instead of choosing another route, then I'm happy to do it. They're contributing to society and not being a burden. I've taught my kids that there is dignity in all work and they've done some difficult jobs while they were in school and after graduation while they were waiting for their careers to kick in. They remember the people who were kind to them and also the people who weren't. Anyone who has ever worked in a restaurant or bar knows what I'm talking about. The way some people treat hospitality workers or waitstaff is disgraceful. I'm very forgiving in restaurants - a lot of things are out of the waitstaff's control - and if I overtip I feel that it makes up for all the people who treat the waitstaff terribly.
Agree again!

As for tipping movers, when we first moved to Florida in 2007, it was in June. The sun was blazing and it was an inferno on our driveway where the guys were loading up two-wheelers with boxes and carrying furniture and schlepping it all from the truck and into the house across the desert of concrete. Some were local help and "used to" the blistering heat (as much as anyone can be), but two guys were northerners who had traveled with the driver from PA our origin. Adding to their misery was that company policy meant they had to wear the royal blue polo shirts. All of them were drenched with sweat and getting sunburned, but not one complained. I gave them sunscreen and lots of water and Gatorade. Yes, it was their job to work even in those conditions, and yes they received paychecks. But honestly I felt it was the right thing to do to tip well at the end for doing a job for me, that had I been doing it, I probably would have thrown up my hands and quit.

Old 05-15-2020, 07:59 PM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Agree again!

As for tipping movers, when we first moved to Florida in 2007, it was in June. The sun was blazing and it was an inferno on our driveway where the guys were loading up two-wheelers with boxes and carrying furniture and schlepping it all from the truck and into the house across the desert of concrete. Some were local help and "used to" the blistering heat (as much as anyone can be), but two guys were northerners who had traveled with the driver from PA our origin. Adding to their misery was that company policy meant they had to wear the royal blue polo shirts. All of them were drenched with sweat and getting sunburned, but not one complained. I gave them sunscreen and lots of water and Gatorade. Yes, it was their job to work even in those conditions, and yes they received paychecks. But honestly I felt it was the right thing to do to tip well at the end for doing a job for me, that had I been doing it, I probably would have thrown up my hands and quit.
And I'll bet a smile and a thank you from you meant a lot to them too! This is what I mean about people who are willing to do difficult and sometimes unpleasant jobs. Mike Rowe has a show called Dirty Jobs and it's a real eye opener to see some of the difficult and unpleasant jobs that need to be done to keep things going. I have tons of respect for the men and women who are showcased. Today I brought our three little scruff muffins (dogs) into the groomer and I always tip them well but today I felt that they should get much more because they really get up close and personal with the dogs and cats and those same animals are hugged and loved by owners who could be carriers. Again, gratuities show gratitude and can make all the difference in the world to someone who might have just been treated unkindly by someone else.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:05 PM
JRR

8,165 posts, read 5,657,641 times
When we moved from Florida to Tennessee three years ago we did tip the movers. Three people finished our packing (half a day) and I gave them $15 each. Two days later two came back to load the truck and I gave them each $20. They drove the truck to Tennessee and unloaded it four days later and I gave each of them $40.

The whole process went like clockwork and the only damage was one cracked glass that got bumped against the counter when they were packing. They were all as pleasant as could be. For the unloading a lot of heavy boxes went upstairs to my wife's sewing room and they never flinched as she would say "upstairs" as she was directing traffic. They got all the boxes and furniture exactly where we wanted it and assembled the beds and mattresses.

I realize that everyone feels differently abut tipping, but I was so happy that the move went off without a hitch, that I have no regrets about how I tipped them. Especially after reading some of the horror stories that people have had in their moves.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:07 PM

5,340 posts, read 4,427,425 times
Tipping is quite controversial I see.

Do what you want. There are no steadfast rules where tipping is involved.

We are retired military and have moved many, many times. I do tip and I do it up front and at the end. I give $100.00 each before they even begin their job. I ask them to do a few extra things and they do it willingly and with great care. I tell them that there is more when they drop off the HH goods. Many times the ones that did the packing and loading request that they are the ones to do the drop off since they already know that there will be a tip on the other end. I like that because after we spend many hours together we know each other pretty well. I also feed and water them.

We have movers coming tomorrow. They will be packing and loading not only our basic stuff that everyone has but, heirlooms, marble and antiques that all require special handling. Yes, it's their job but a tip at the beginning gives them an incentive to treat my belongings as if they were their own and with the knowledge that there is more when they deliver, the incentive to be extra accommodating is ever present.

I have a back issue from an accident that gets worse over the years. We have a ship's helm that belonged to my father that weighs close to 100 pounds with a diameter of almost 5 feet. I can no longer help my husband put it in the truck since we take it with us, not on the mover's truck. They will help with that. There are little things like that that they don't report back to the moving company, that make the tips worth it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues