Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2020, 09:48 PM

184 posts, read 338,734 times

Advertisements

Husband and I are trying to decide between using a moving company or utilizing UPack / PODS for a long distance move in August. East Coast to Midwest, about 1300 miles.

Obviously, there's the usual stuff you can't move, like paint, chemicals, aerosols, etc...but I'm wondering about other items that might be affected by the environment of the storage container, especially one traveling long distance during the summer months.

For example, how hot do these PODS or relocubes get during the summer months? My husband has a lot of DVDs, CDs, video games, etc. Would they be in any danger from the heat in a PODS, or would it be no different than traveling with a full service mover?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 11:11 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,341,370 times
They'll fry. Even our moving company told us that they wouldn't guarantee or replace those items when we moved one summer. Since our move was less than 1,000 miles, my husband packed his pick-up and a rented trailer and drove those things to a storage facility in the area where we would be living.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:11 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,069 times
Just do yourself a favor, and get rid of everything you can live without prior to the move.

I just finished moving myself for the second time in 4 years, and I'm hauling around stuff from when we lived in Atlanta 16 years ago.

We moved down 1000 square feet, and I still have a triple car garage I cannot even walk in right now.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:24 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autum1031 View Post
Husband and I are trying to decide between using a moving company or utilizing UPack / PODS for a long distance move in August. East Coast to Midwest, about 1300 miles.

Obviously, there's the usual stuff you can't move, like paint, chemicals, aerosols, etc...but I'm wondering about other items that might be affected by the environment of the storage container, especially one traveling long distance during the summer months.

For example, how hot do these PODS or relocubes get during the summer months? My husband has a lot of DVDs, CDs, video games, etc. Would they be in any danger from the heat in a PODS, or would it be no different than traveling with a full service mover?
The containers can get really hot. So can moving vans. Both are under the sun's rays from beginning to end. You could consider shipping the DVDs etc. by USPS or UPS. Yes, they will spend a lot of time in a truck, but they will have a "break" at distribution centers and they might travel faster than any POD- type container.

Would you be filling up a mover's truck so that they would leave your home on the East Coast and go directly to your new home in the Midwest? If so, and if I was in your shoes, I'd choose to put the DVDs etc. on the moving truck. It's the lesser of all evils. If you're not filling the truck and they will be picking up another load to fill it up (which happens), that can delay the delivery leaving your things on the truck that much longer.

One last option, which may or may not work for your situation, is to rent a UHaul-type truck or trailer. Along with the DVDs etc. you could pack things you might need immediately like mattresses, coffeemaker, computer stuff, clothing.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:56 AM

316 posts, read 303,925 times
I'd be careful about packing candles. We had about a half dozen that melted and while we could still use them, were not pretty to look at. The ones in glass containers held up much better.

We've never had an issue with DVDs, CDs or video games and we've done a number of long distance moves, most in the summer months.

The only other thing that comes to mind is fire extinguishers. They are considered hazardous and we've always had to leave them behind.

Good luck on your move.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:58 AM

248 posts, read 243,669 times
Pets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues