U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 09:29 AM

1,366 posts, read 474,911 times

Advertisements

We had several cans of Lysol spray disinfectant with us so we sprayed everything imaginable including the bedding. Light switches and doorknobs were wiped down with disinfectant wipes and then sprayed for extra protection. As I might have mentioned before, our family has traveled a lot and my kids grew up hearing me yell "Don't touch anything!" as soon as we would get into our lodgings and that was long before Covid. I always did a "sweep" through the accommodations making sure to look under the bed for anything that might have been missed by housekeeping (if you get my drift) and then once the place was Mom approved, they were allowed to have fun. So many of the precautions being done now are really just smart ways to get around in the world so I hope simple things like true hand washing (not a quick rinse under water) and paying attention to coughing and sneezing (some people do it with abandonment) become part of everyone's daily life.
Another thing about bedding. Any time we travel I inspect the sheets and pillowcases. I look for hair and signs that perhaps not all of the pillowcases have been changed. It's rarely happened but there have been times when I've called housekeeping and asked for fresh bedding if I think corners have been cut but I always tip at the time of service and every morning. I also leave a note every morning thanking them along with the gratuity - always.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 09:26 AM

1,600 posts, read 2,096,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
No, you misunderstood : ) We lived in Scottsdale for two years and then moved to Nevada and stayed there for 28 years for a total of 30 years in the desert. We recently moved from Nevada to Southwest Florida. That's what I referring to as being paradise - living in Florida with all the greenery and close to the Gulf. I disliked the desert immensely and longed to live where there was lots of green. We love living in Florida. I re-read my last post and I could definitely see where my timeline was confusing without reading my prior posts.

LOL - I just moved from Oregon back to Arizona (I'm on the PHX side of Scottsdale Road but close enough to the line that I can throw a rock into Scottsdale!) and am so happy to be back in the desert. I love the stark desert landscape, and my old arthritic bones love the heat. Vive la difference!

Old 07-05-2020, 10:55 AM

^^^ ^^^

Just one of the many great things about our country - there are so many different geographic areas to choose from. Being near the water is amazing and life affirming for me and my skin thanks me every day - no more dry, cracked skin! I'm in my sixties so I can use all the help I can get.

Old 04-16-2021, 09:29 AM

19 posts, read 12,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
My husband and I just came off a cross country move. He drove the U Haul, towing our smaller car. I drove the other car, caravan-style.

We had no issues with hotels. I made reservations online as we worked our way west to east (Oregon to Pennsylvania). Room rates were a little lower than normal, which was nice. Lots of vacancies, empty parking lots... which was good for us with that big truck towing a car.

We mostly ate from groceries we bought before we left. Just did take out food just a couple times. Coffee from the hotels.

As for health/safety of hotels, they seem to be all over the disinfecting thing. Just the same, we traveled with disinfecting sprays and wipes. First thing, once in a room, we'd disinfect all switches, knobs, handles, faucets, remote control, microwave, fridge, etc. Wiped down all surfaces. It wasn't that hard. Just a matter of having the supplies and getting used to the routine.
Were you concerned about theft when staying at hotels, and how did you mitigate the risk? What was your strategy with parking?

Old 04-16-2021, 11:29 AM

^^^blueson you were probably addressing Jessie Mitchell with your concern about driving cross country with a U Haul but I'll chime in with some advice about our concern even though we just traveled by car.

I was very concerned about theft occurring overnight since our days were spent traveling. I kept our valuables (passport, cash, credit cards, jewelry and important papers) in heavy zip lock bags, double bagged them and then put them into small nondescript containers and brought them into the room every night. I didn't leave anything valuable in the car overnight but we had boxes full of clothing and small items we would need right away in our new house in the car.

Of course we parked as close to our room as possible and in the most brightly lit spot. We traveled with three dogs so we always stayed at Residence Inns because they're very dog friendly. Everything went very smoothly.

Old 04-27-2021, 03:02 PM

19 posts, read 12,027 times
What was your route ? Did you take i40 all the way or change to 287 in texas? which would you prefer?

Old 04-27-2021, 03:05 PM

1,983 posts, read 638,593 times
Quote:
Just moved form the southwest of the US to southwest Florida. AMA - ask me anything : )
How much did the move cost?

Did you end up with local movers or the company you contracted with?

How was the move quality on each end?

Old 04-27-2021, 05:03 PM

A little over $5,000 and we went with the national company that we contracted with but the actual loading and unloading was done by local guys. I'm assuming that since we didn't have a whole lot of furniture and didn't require a large moving van, they contracted it out to a smaller company but with all the insurance and such that comes with the large company. The local guys loaded up the truck and the owner of the smaller company drove the truck cross country. He did keep me informed along the way.

When they got to FL a few local Florida guys helped with the unload. All of the guys were very nice - we tipped everyone well and provided lots of drinks on both ends. They did break one of our vacuum cleaners and I could have filed a claim for it but there was just too much going on at the time so I let it go.

Overall I was happy with them. I've heard enough horror stories about major moves that I think we didn't pretty well and remember this was at the beginning of all the Covid restrictions.

Old 04-27-2021, 08:39 PM

5,551 posts, read 9,871,319 times
Do you like living in Florida?

Old 04-27-2021, 08:41 PM

1,983 posts, read 638,593 times
Quote:
A little over $5,000 and we went with the national company that we contracted with but the actual loading and unloading was done by local guys. I'm assuming that since we didn't have a whole lot of furniture and didn't require a large moving van, they contracted it out to a smaller company but with all the insurance and such that comes with the large company. The local guys loaded up the truck and the owner of the smaller company drove the truck cross country. He did keep me informed along the way.

When they got to FL a few local Florida guys helped with the unload. All of the guys were very nice - we tipped everyone well and provided lots of drinks on both ends. They did break one of our vacuum cleaners and I could have filed a claim for it but there was just too much going on at the time so I let it go.

Overall I was happy with them. I've heard enough horror stories about major moves that I think we didn't pretty well and remember this was at the beginning of all the Covid restrictions.
My local loaders in Sacramento were pretty terrible. They did a great job of wrapping the furniture but that is where the great job ended.

My unloaders in Knoxville were fantastic - Roadway. Real beasts.

Only one of my loaders in Sacramento spoke English. People may say “Who cares”? But if you can’t speak English then you can’t read English — things like fragile, this side up, do not stack. They laid pictures and mirrors flat that were supposed to stand up the entire 2400 miles. I haven’t opened any of those boxes yet so ‘I have no clue what I am in for.

I have bedroom lamps I have owned for 30 years and I love them. I marked their boxes as fragile. One of the cast lamp bases is smashed/chipped and cracked half way up the base. The lamp is still usable. I need to glue it so it doesn’t continue cracking.

This is what happens when loaders can’t read the English word fragile. They also broke the leg on my bedroom chest.

I just expect breakage anymore. So far I am thrilled only the 2 items are broken so far, but we will see when I unpack the other half of my boxes.

My move was $8,500 for w400 miles, with a very long unloading distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues