Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 09:02 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times

Advertisements

I (soon-to-be 22M) might be moving from my parents' house in NJ to my grandparents' California in 2.5 weeks. Can I change my address through USPS' website if I am still financially dependent on my parents (I have a part-time to hire opportunity)? Will USPS send an embarrassing letter to my parents' house about me changing my address?

Nothing important usually comes in the mail at my parents' house, however, I want my address changed, because I am worried if I get called in for jury duty or something like that, I want the government to know I am not living in NJ anymore.

Also, I will still be driving in CA with my NJ license using my grandparents' car and I will eventually get a CA license.

Last edited by moshywilly; 06-04-2020 at 09:13 PM..

Old 06-04-2020, 09:27 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Also, I will still be driving in CA with my NJ license using my grandparents' car and I will eventually get a CA license.

I have no idea about CA laws but some states take a very dim view of you not obtaining their license and insurance within like 30 days of arriving. Your grandparents need to get you as a named driver on their policy if you are living in their house. This will cost them some $$. I suspect rather a lot due to your age. . .

Old 06-04-2020, 09:30 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,649 times
I can't help but wonder what USPS could do to "embarrass" you as surely your parents are going to know that you don't live there. . . .

Old 06-04-2020, 09:50 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
I have no idea about CA laws but some states take a very dim view of you not obtaining their license and insurance within like 30 days of arriving. Your grandparents need to get you as a named driver on their policy if you are living in their house. This will cost them some $$. I suspect rather a lot due to your age. . .
https://www.shouselaw.com/can-i-driv...cycle%2C%20etc.).

It looks like California's is 10 days. Yikes! I wonder if it's really enforced . Changing the address first is important, because I did read up that you need proof of California residence (you can use a USPS proof) to obtain a CA license.

I also thought I can just drive any car, which means any bad responsibilities I make in it leads to the insurance holder's insurance to go up.

Old 06-05-2020, 02:01 AM

247 posts, read 236,668 times
You may get cut off your parents’ insurance if you aren’t living with them, definitely look into that before moving!

Old 06-05-2020, 02:13 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
I doubt that your parent's health insurance will cover you in another state. Most health insurance is state-based.

Old 06-05-2020, 02:53 AM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times
Re the Change of Address, yes, the USPS will send a letter. This from USPS website:
"After scheduling a Change of Address (COA), USPS will promptly mail, to the address you are leaving, a Move Validation Letter (MVL) to validate the move."

It is part of their validation check against scams or pranks. Also if filing the COA on-line, you need a credit or debit card number which they charge a nominal fee (about $1), again as a validation check.

ISTM that a notice to your old address is the least of your worries, as others have said.

Good Luck.........

Old 06-05-2020, 06:02 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Look up "knowingly driving without valid license".
USPS changes your mailing address not your legal residence.
Your grand parents add you to their auto policy and you pay the difference.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:09 AM
KCZ

4,673 posts, read 3,667,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Look up "knowingly driving without valid license".
USPS changes your mailing address not your legal residence.
Your grand parents add you to their auto policy and you pay the difference.

^This. You need to get a CA license and obtain coverage in CA unless this is only a temporary, short-term move. If you don't have insurance coverage and you're in an accident, you and your grandparents could be not only repairing/replacing their car but also be liable for any damages or injuries you caused to another party. CA requires you to have liability coverage. Your grandparents can find out from their agent if you can be added to their policy or if you'll need to get your own, which could be expensive.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:28 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPRFmama View Post
You may get cut off your parents’ insurance if you aren’t living with them, definitely look into that before moving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I doubt that your parent's health insurance will cover you in another state. Most health insurance is state-based.
Good points.

Also, be sure to make sure that you follow all the rules for your drivers license and car insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues