Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 10:16 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,490,652 times

Advertisements

I am moving from my parents' house from NJ to my grandparents' house in CA. The issue is my parents are going with me and they are going to stay for a week and I am going to ship some of my stuff out from NJ, but I don't want my parents to see the package when they go with me. Can I use USPS intercept feature to hold a package to the local post office in the CA town I am moving to and then I can pick it up from the post office? Also, I am going to make the package have the same return address and recipient address both the same exact address (with my name), because I really do not want stuff getting returned to my home in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 09:49 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Can I use USPS intercept feature to hold a package to the local post office in the CA town I am moving to and then I can pick it up from the post office?
Pick up the phone and call them. (USPS, not your parents)

Old 06-12-2020, 11:24 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Do your parents know that you are moving? Why would they care if you sent some clothes and personal belongings to your new home?

Old 06-12-2020, 02:03 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
I am moving from my parents' house from NJ to my grandparents' house in CA. The issue is my parents are going with me and they are going to stay for a week and I am going to ship some of my stuff out from NJ, but I don't want my parents to see the package when they go with me. Can I use USPS intercept feature to hold a package to the local post office in the CA town I am moving to and then I can pick it up from the post office? Also, I am going to make the package have the same return address and recipient address both the same exact address (with my name), because I really do not want stuff getting returned to my home in NJ.
Yes, you can arrange to hold/pick a parcel up at the destination USPO. Take the box in to your local PO and mail it from there.

https://www.uspstrackingfun.com/usps-hold-for-pickup/

Are you predicting your parents will try to rip open your mail while you're standing right there? What on earth is the big mystery? A box is what it looks like...a BOX. You're moving...mailing something to yourself makes complete sense. Who cares if the box happens to contain your sillier game DVDs, Playboy magazines, or dirty socks? However, if a box really stinks the USPS can refuse to ship it.

I suppose you could mail yourself a dummy box to distract them...like throwing a fryer to an alligator so you have enough time to swim across its ditch.

Yes you can ship something with the same return address and recipient address. Done it many times.

Just don't understand the need for such secrecy. Feeling guilty about something OP? Do you want to launch or don't you?

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-12-2020 at 02:40 PM..

Old 06-12-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Yes, you can arrange to hold/pick a parcel up at the destination USPO. Take the box in to your local PO and mail it from there.

https://www.uspstrackingfun.com/usps-hold-for-pickup/

Are you predicting your parents will try to rip open your mail while you're standing right there? What on earth is the big mystery? A box is what it looks like...a BOX. You're moving...mailing something to yourself makes complete sense. Who cares if the box happens to contain your sillier game DVDs, Playboy magazines, or dirty socks? However, if a box really stinks the USPS can refuse to ship it.

I suppose you could mail yourself a dummy box to distract them...like throwing a fryer to an alligator so you have enough time to swim across its ditch.

Yes you can ship something with the same return address and recipient address. Done it many times.

Just don't understand the need for such secrecy. Feeling guilty about something OP? Do you want to launch or don't you?
It's because one of my packages is my makeup. I am a guy who wears makeup and my parents are homophobic and they don't like guys wearing makeup and I've been hiding it from them for two years. I really want to be able to get that stuff for pickup. I have the makeup inside a bag that has a zipper lock on it.

Old 06-13-2020, 06:38 AM

24,508 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
It's because one of my packages is my makeup. I am a guy who wears makeup and my parents are homophobic and they don't like guys wearing makeup and I've been hiding it from them for two years. I really want to be able to get that stuff for pickup. I have the makeup inside a bag that has a zipper lock on it.
Your parents go through your luggage?

Old 06-13-2020, 09:50 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Your parents go through your luggage?
No wonder he's moving all the way across the country!

If the kid is that whacked out about it, he should just buy some makeup in California (they sell it there too... 100,000 drag queens can't go without!) instead of going through all the trouble and angst of secret packages.

PS: I'm gay as the day is long and came out 44 years ago this coming July 4th. Live your life out and proud and don't worry what anyone else thinks. In the end, it's *your* life.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
No wonder he's moving all the way across the country!

If the kid is that whacked out about it, he should just buy some makeup in California (they sell it there too... 100,000 drag queens can't go without!) instead of going through all the trouble and angst of secret packages.

PS: I'm gay as the day is long and came out 44 years ago this coming July 4th. Live your life out and proud and don't worry what anyone else thinks. In the end, it's *your* life.
Yes, I have drugstore makeup and that is easily replaceable and I get the fact that I can just buy it there. I could easily donate the makeup or I could ask my gay friend if he wants it. But he doesn't want it. It would be a waste money to start all to buy makeup over there after giving up my makeup over here. It's not like I would come back here often enough to use the makeup. It's also risky to keep it locked up in a bag in my parents' house before they eventually find it.

I'm bi btw, but I am very masculine and I wear "natural look" makeup not like drag queen makeup. Guys can wear makeup too as long as you don't feminine stuff like lipstick or funky eyeshadow colors. It's undetectable on my face.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:31 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
You're overthinking this. Put your eyeliner in a sock.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:00 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,286,731 times
Can you have a friend mail it to to you after you leave?

Are your parents helping unpack? I would put it in a unrelated box like 'manilla envelopes' and open it later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues