U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2020, 12:22 PM

14,790 posts, read 21,044,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Be very careful who you choose. I moved from CO to FL and my stuff wasn't delivered for almost 3.5 weeks when I was told 7-10 days!! I wasn't told that until day of pickup. Also, I was charged almost $700 more because they said I didn't include things in my quote which was a complete lie. I ended up having to fed ex boxes of stuff-clothes, pots/etc just to be able to have stuff while my stuff was being delivered.

That is called hi jacking your things you should have paid the 700 and then taken them to court . I always move myself because this has happened to several of my dear friends . I hate moving companies like this .
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 08:15 AM

17,854 posts, read 23,424,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
That is called hi jacking your things you should have paid the 700 and then taken them to court . I always move myself because this has happened to several of my dear friends . I hate moving companies like this .
I was moving the next day to Florida. This occurred on a Saturday night. I didn't have the time to deal with court. So I paid it and moved on and burned them in every review I could

Old 06-29-2020, 11:55 AM

3,691 posts, read 1,505,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie2008 View Post
Hello. I will be moving from Pennsylvania to North Carolina within the next month. Does anyone have a national moving company they had a good experience with? Who should I avoid? Thank you very much! First move I have ever done.
Moved my mom from nh to el paso tx using mayflower. Had them pack. Did a goid job, nothing broken, actual weight was less than estimate so they refunded 800.00.

Old 06-29-2020, 12:44 PM

250 posts, read 188,832 times
I believe the big chains use local offices. When we talked with our Mayflower rep in the house he actually has a different moving company name but told us that Mayflower is the parent corporation and they still have to follow Mayflower's guidelines / rules.

Old 06-29-2020, 08:28 PM

1,235 posts, read 584,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Moved my mom from nh to el paso tx using mayflower. Had them pack. Did a goid job, nothing broken, actual weight was less than estimate so they refunded 800.00.
If you don't mind providing details (or even ballpark figures):
  • How much stuff did your mom have (# of beds/baths, etc.)?
  • How much did it cost?
  • How long did it take for them to pack and load?
  • How many packers were involved?
  • How long did it take for her stuff to get from NH to TX?
  • How did you find *your* Mayflower? I'm concerned that the on-line website might redirect me to a local company that isn't necessarily Mayflower. (Should I even be concerned about that?)

Old 06-29-2020, 10:47 PM

21 posts, read 23,344 times
Default Packing, moving & storage costs?

Quote:
I have the same questions as the poster quoted below, if you don't mind! We're moving my MIL from NM to MO in early August if we can get it all sorted out in time (if we can't go get her in early August, we may have to wait until Christmas or next summer to go help her get it sorted). What we need is packing and moving of a small amount of furniture and probably a few small rooms worth of boxes, but ideally we'd like to have them store the items for about a month before delivering to her new place. I'm hoping to get an idea of what that storage might cost before we go that route. (I've sent off to a few places for quotes, but have no idea what is considered a good or bad price for all of that.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
If you don't mind providing details (or even ballpark figures):
  • How much stuff did your mom have (# of beds/baths, etc.)?
  • How much did it cost?
  • How long did it take for them to pack and load?
  • How many packers were involved?
  • How long did it take for her stuff to get from NH to TX?
  • How did you find *your* Mayflower? I'm concerned that the on-line website might redirect me to a local company that isn't necessarily Mayflower. (Should I even be concerned about that?)

Old 06-30-2020, 02:04 PM

I googled the mayflower number and they set everything up.
Sent estimater to house..a condo with 2 bdms and a small loft with futon, tv end tables. Had a small living rm, dining rm, sunroom with wall unit, couch, chair, small table and 2 chairs
Plus a basement with a bunch of boxes. Approx 1600 sf finished area plus basement.

Packed in 1 and a half days, with 2 people packing. Started loading truck on 2nd day, and finished on 2nd day.
If i recall, it was about 11k, and then got 800 back.
I think they left on a thurs and were supposed to arrive the following thurs but actually arrived on monday. So they were early. Took about 4 days.

I will add, that the move was unexpected, as my brother died, and i flew ip there and brought my mom back to el paso. Just cleaned out refrig, and left house as is.
When i talked her into moving, i had neighbor let estimator in. Then we got back up there 2 days before move, and threw out some stuff, but packers packed everything.
This house had mom's stuff, some of my brothers stuff (lots of tools...hecwas a master woodworker by trade), plus it had my grandmothers and great grandparents stuff (china, crystal, lots of nic nacs, boxes of photo albums, hooked rugs, sentimental stuff, yearbooks, letters and cards from over the years.
Still had painings and wall decor up, tons of nic nacs, tons of dishes and china (like 10 sets of plates/glasses(china ),.
It was amazing how much stuff was there.
They even packed the slivers of soap from bathrooms.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:14 PM

The temperature controlled storage unit was about 200 mo i think. The largest one they had. Needed temp controlled, because there were a lot of antique wood furinture things, and we get extreme heat over 100 degrees, and then cold below freezing, and wasnt sure how long i would need to store things.
I used an independent storage facility. Dont know if mayflower has any they are associated with.

Old 06-30-2020, 08:14 PM

1,235 posts, read 584,375 times
Quote:
I googled the mayflower number and they set everything up.
Sent estimater to house..a condo with 2 bdms and a small loft with futon, tv end tables. Had a small living rm, dining rm, sunroom with wall unit, couch, chair, small table and 2 chairs
Plus a basement with a bunch of boxes. Approx 1600 sf finished area plus basement.

Packed in 1 and a half days, with 2 people packing. Started loading truck on 2nd day, and finished on 2nd day.
If i recall, it was about 11k, and then got 800 back.
I think they left on a thurs and were supposed to arrive the following thurs but actually arrived on monday. So they were early. Took about 4 days.

I will add, that the move was unexpected, as my brother died, and i flew ip there and brought my mom back to el paso. Just cleaned out refrig, and left house as is.
When i talked her into moving, i had neighbor let estimator in. Then we got back up there 2 days before move, and threw out some stuff, but packers packed everything.
This house had mom's stuff, some of my brothers stuff (lots of tools...hecwas a master woodworker by trade), plus it had my grandmothers and great grandparents stuff (china, crystal, lots of nic nacs, boxes of photo albums, hooked rugs, sentimental stuff, yearbooks, letters and cards from over the years.
Still had painings and wall decor up, tons of nic nacs, tons of dishes and china (like 10 sets of plates/glasses(china ),.
It was amazing how much stuff was there.
They even packed the slivers of soap from bathrooms.
My condolences on the loss of your brother.

Thank you for sharing the details of your mom's move. That is so very helpful, especially the description of all the "stuff" that needed packing up! Every household has it's own amount of things...some people are more packrat-ish, and others more minimalist, so when you do the on-line estimators based on just the number of beds and baths in a home, it's hard to know accurate the results are.

Old 07-02-2020, 05:08 PM

154 posts, read 49,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Mayflower. No problems at all.

Do not go on the internet and look for the cheapest mover. Those are brokers who hire independent truckers.
Someone once told me something so true: why in the world would you choose the cheapest company to move your most valuable and cherished possessions? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues