U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 12:44 PM

5 posts, read 2,566 times

Advertisements

We are also moving from PA to NC, prob September/October
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2020, 01:31 PM

179 posts, read 76,915 times
It's been 20 years, but my blood still boils when I recall how Bekins shafted my in-laws during their cross-country move from FL to here in SoCal. First off, in FL, the driver demanded a $280 fee because he couldn't get his rig to the apartment, despite this being a 900 unit complex with people moving in and out almost every day. My in-laws reached a verbal agreement with the driver about the delivery date in CA, but that was just hot air which meant nothing. When that date came and went, I started calling for status and was told no one at Bekins could contact the driver who they thought was in Vegas, 300 miles out of the way. He called at one point stating he would be there Monday, but never showed up. All this time, we were trying to contact the agent who met with my in-laws in FL, but he was never available. When the driver finally showed up and I asked him why he didn't show up or call on Monday, he told me "Stuff happens." He was surly and rude. After I declined to let him use the phone inside the residence, he demanded a "long carry fee" because the path from the truck to the residence door exceeded 75 feet. I told him to drop the stuff at 75 and GTFO. I carried every box and every stick of furniture the final few feet myself. I wrote a letter to the VP and Mgr, but never heard a word back. For a future move, I would carry everything on my back the whole way before I ever used Bekins again.

These moving companies have sunk to new lows in extorting their customers. Either you need them to show up ASAP to pick up your stuff, or you need them to deliver it ASAP so you can move in. They do not provide reasonable estimates or schedules. Their drivers are nothing more than highway robbers. Any humans you may have dealt with before paying them will be out of touch when you need them. Meanwhile they have all your precious stuff and can get you to agree to almost anything to get it back. It's no wonder the DIY places are so successful. I'm now considering a move of my own and will go to great lengths to avoid being extorted again by these unscrupulous movers. AT 61 YO, with a bad back and all-over arthritis, I'm actually trying to decide if I can unload all our stuff by myself, using dollies and a handtruck.

On a positive note, I think the government has gotten involved to protect the consumer in these situations. There are tips at these gov't. pages:
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/protect-yo...ps-for-success
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/move...ng-quotes.html

Good luck to all and God bless

Old Today, 02:25 PM

9 posts, read 2,097 times
Had a good experience with Three Men and a Truck when we used them in 2019 - they moved us from Dallas to Raleigh and I think they work in all 50 states. Definitely compare some prices before you settle on one though. We found that the costs were all over the place so you can save yourself some money by doing price comparisons. That's how we ended up going with the company we did, they were several hundred dollars cheaper than all the others. Good luck with the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues