U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 09:28 PM

294 posts, read 508,844 times

Advertisements

Hello. I will be moving from Pennsylvania to North Carolina within the next month. Does anyone have a national moving company they had a good experience with? Who should I avoid? Thank you very much! First move I have ever done.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 07:42 AM

31,545 posts, read 70,643,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie2008 View Post
Does anyone have a national moving company...
How many of them serve Scranton? Start with that list.

Old 06-16-2020, 04:48 PM

250 posts, read 188,832 times
We're booked with Mayflower (travel in August)and so far so good. We feel comfortable based on reviews and conversations we've had with them, especially compared to others we interviewed. Hope our intuitions are correct. ☺

Old 06-16-2020, 05:05 PM

1,902 posts, read 589,569 times
I used Mayflower for a 3-hour local move. They had excellent service and great prices. For the first time, they didn't break anything. Every previous move resulting in something getting broken by the movers.

FWIW

The top national moving companies are...

International Van LInes

Allied Moving Lines

North American Movers

(among others)

I am getting quotes from all the above for a cross country move from California to either Alabama, Tennessee, or South Carolina.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:00 PM

Thank you all so much!!!!! I looked at Mayflower too and I will give them a call tomorrow. I put in a call today for a few others. My move is fast approaching, faster than I thought, which is a good problem to have but it is stressful. I have an apartment lined up, so this is the next step. I really do appreciate everyone's opinion. There are so many reviews, etc. Just want to make a good decision!

Old 06-17-2020, 04:11 PM

1,590 posts, read 826,629 times
Mayflower. No problems at all.

Do not go on the internet and look for the cheapest mover. Those are brokers who hire independent truckers.

Old 06-17-2020, 08:27 PM

Thanks. It seems like the local agent for Bekins and Mayflower have mixed reviews. There have been others who got backing from Home Advisor and Angie's List but I am not sure. Most want to video walk throughs. Another just had me tell him over the phone what I had and another looked at my real estate listing and gave a quote. I did have a guy from a regional company come today to the house. Waiting to hear back for an estimate. Some said my stuff would be on a truck with other people's stuff and some said my stuff would be the only load they had. Still checking them out.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:52 AM

17,854 posts, read 23,424,445 times
Be very careful who you choose. I moved from CO to FL and my stuff wasn't delivered for almost 3.5 weeks when I was told 7-10 days!! I wasn't told that until day of pickup. Also, I was charged almost $700 more because they said I didn't include things in my quote which was a complete lie. I ended up having to fed ex boxes of stuff-clothes, pots/etc just to be able to have stuff while my stuff was being delivered.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:38 AM

1,590 posts, read 826,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Be very careful who you choose. I moved from CO to FL and my stuff wasn't delivered for almost 3.5 weeks when I was told 7-10 days!! I wasn't told that until day of pickup. Also, I was charged almost $700 more because they said I didn't include things in my quote which was a complete lie. I ended up having to fed ex boxes of stuff-clothes, pots/etc just to be able to have stuff while my stuff was being delivered.
I had this same experience. My possessions were 6 weeks late arriving. Definately go with a well known mover.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:38 PM

1,902 posts, read 589,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Mayflower. No problems at all.

Do not go on the internet and look for the cheapest mover. Those are brokers who hire independent truckers.
Thank you for this advice.

I asked for quotes from Allied Van Lines and they gave me a number for a local mover. So thanks for your advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues