Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 09:42 AM

74 posts, read 81,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Your desires are leading you down the wrong path.

That savings money is for reserves only. Things like Medical, Car repairs, etc.
The costs of living, rent/groceries/etc in particular, need to paid for with EARNED money.
That is the case whether you're in MI or GA.

I have a specific savings account just for this move and a better-than-average emergency fund. It's not tons, but between my partner and I, I feel lucky (aka smart/responsible) to have what we do. I am getting the sense that you are older and think that all Millennials are irresponsible, throwing caution to the wind I appreciate the concern, but there is not much more we can do to put us in an EVEN safer position right now. Compared to many, we would be alright if we completely fail. I haven't led myself down the "wrong path" in my entire, safe, boring life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 08:22 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
Overall I think the idea of moving to a different part of the country is great and you sound prepared for emergencies that might crop up. I'm in my sixties and if I could have done one thing differently, it would have been to have lived in a couple more areas of the US for short amounts of time. Building a business and raising kids kept us in the Southwest for 30 years. It worked out great for us and we visited the heck out of the West Coast. We're now living in the Southeast, right by the water, and we're here for the duration and very happy about it. I grew up in the Northeast so the areas I've missed out on are the Midwest and the Pacific Northwest. I think it would have been nice to have had those experiences.

Old 07-05-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Overall I think the idea of moving to a different part of the country is great and you sound prepared for emergencies that might crop up. I'm in my sixties and if I could have done one thing differently, it would have been to have lived in a couple more areas of the US for short amounts of time. Building a business and raising kids kept us in the Southwest for 30 years. It worked out great for us and we visited the heck out of the West Coast. We're now living in the Southeast, right by the water, and we're here for the duration and very happy about it. I grew up in the Northeast so the areas I've missed out on are the Midwest and the Pacific Northwest. I think it would have been nice to have had those experiences.
I think my biggest goal in life is to be able to see as many places as I can. It already makes me sad that I will inevitably miss out on a lot. It sounds like you've made a couple of big moves in your lifetime and that's more than many get to say. Glad you ended up somewhere you love!

Old 07-13-2020, 07:37 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desirepaths View Post
I think my biggest goal in life is to be able to see as many places as I can. It already makes me sad that I will inevitably miss out on a lot. It sounds like you've made a couple of big moves in your lifetime and that's more than many get to say. Glad you ended up somewhere you love!
Then pick an area that has easy/cheap travel to the rest of the world.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:00 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
I would pick one or two cities where you have job prospects and spend the time looking into neighborhoods and mingling. Your quality of life is going to be dependent on what neighborhood you live in. If you pick the wrong neighborhood, you may become quite bored.

Old 07-13-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
I would pick one or two cities where you have job prospects and spend the time looking into neighborhoods and mingling. Your quality of life is going to be dependent on what neighborhood you live in. If you pick the wrong neighborhood, you may become quite bored.
Thanks. Yes, I'm going to care a lot about the neighborhood. I'm so close to narrowing down the city and next will be researching neighborhoods in great detail!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues