Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 04:36 PM

19,796 posts, read 9,331,249 times

Advertisements

I am thinking that you should narrow down the region for a climate you can agree on, and THEN check out all the cities in that region of any size with a population greater than 30,000 and then check those cities out for the amenities (restaurants, shopping, etc.) that are important to you. After that, depending on how far you are willing to travel for shopping and restaurants, draw a radius around the cities that make your "finalist list" for the amount of miles you are willing to travel to go out to eat, and then check out those towns within the radius for home prices and the kind of towns/communities they are. (City Data is great for that, and TripAdvisor will tell you how much of a variety in restaurants there are.)

I also think that the best solution for people who like rural but also like the big city advantages is to put the main focus on your home's location because most people won't go to "the city" all that often, unless there are no large grocery stores close by. (Of course, it depends on one's definition of "all that often", but for us that means just three or four times a year.)

Btw, it took us eight years to find our perfect spot, so the earlier you start, the better!! (And, btw, our first pick turned out to be wrong for us, whereas our final pick just fell into place like it was meant to be!)

Also, a trick my husband and I have used for our retirement location, buying a home, and vacation decisions is for each of us to make a list of what is important to us, and then combine the lists, and then each of list the items on the combined list from most important to least important. The top five priorities (out of a list of about 20 items) for each of us was "non-negotiable", and if any item on our "top five" had contradicted one of the other's "top five", we would have either compromised or entered into a "give and take" negotiation on the rest of the items.

[However, my husband and I are very fortunate in that we are so compatible in our wants that the only thing that my husband had to "give up" was having a good Japanese restaurant within 50 miles of us. (I like Japanese food, too, but it was never a "deal breaker" for me.)]

Good luck!!

Last edited by katharsis; 07-05-2020 at 06:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 04:47 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,270,040 times
Here's the deal....

Nix the entire "coastal" East Coast--and I mean from MA on down to FL (research my previous posts). Winters will wreak havoc on your wife. Cold/damp/humid are killers. So you might consider San Diego, or perhaps CO which may have the best of both worlds (though from what I understand "winter" as such could last forever in CO.

Prior to my retirement in 2018, I had lived in New England since 1986. Winters were a crapshoot. If it was a "wet" winter my arthritic bones suffered greatly; on the other hand, some winters were not so bad. This will be the norm up and down the East Coast in general. One year I flew to visit my daughter in Savannah for New Years Eve. When I left CT it was 40s, damp, cold. When I arrived in Savannah--guess what--it was "40s, damp, cold."

I'm from upstate NY and quite frankly this was never an issue--of course I was 50 years younger then. In my 20s I lived in Rochester, NY and had no issues--we moved to the Boston area in 1986 and that's when I started to experience SADs and "arthritis" big time.

As a "former wife" I agree--if Mama ain't happy, NOBODY will be happy..."

Old 07-05-2020, 05:00 PM

11,082 posts, read 17,525,111 times
I was just checking the population of towns in the western part of Kentucky, where I live. Population of Owensboro is 57,000. but in 5 minutes you could just about be sitting out on a farm or a nice country neighborhood. Not putting in a plug for Owensboro but just showing that the size of the city doesn't mean you have to live IN the city. I've lived and worked in that area. But there's plenty of things to see and do in that area, either in Owensboro and Henderson, Ky. (Pop.28,000), or Evansville, In (117,000), in that triangle. Cost of living isn't bad, concerts and sports usually in Evansville, and plenty of shopping in all 3 cities.
Humidity gets a little rough at times. Heat index today was upper 90s. Ohio and Green Rivers for plenty of boating and fishing if you want to get away for a while.

Old 07-05-2020, 05:43 PM

438 posts, read 269,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am thinking that you should narrow down the region for a climate you can agree on, and THEN check out all the cities in that region of any size with a population greater than 30,000 and then check those cities out for the amenities (restaurants, shopping, etc.) that are important to you. After that, depending on how far you are willing to travel for shopping and restaurants, draw a radius around the cities that make your "finalist list" for the amount of miles you are willing to travel to go out to eat, and then check out those towns within the radius for home prices and the kind of towns/communities they are. (City Data is great for that, and TripAdvisor will tell you how much of a variety in restaurants there are.)

I also think that the best solution for people who like rural but also like the big city advantages is to put the main focus on your home's location because most people won't go to "the city" all that often, unless there are no large grocery stores close by. (Of course, it depends on one's definition of "all that often", but for us that means just three or four times a year.)

Btw, it took us eight years to find our perfect spot, so the earlier you start, the better!! (And, btw, our first pick turned out to be wrong for us, whereas our final pick just fell into place like it was meant to be!)

Also, a trick my husband and I have used for our retirement location, buying a home, and vacation decisions is for each of us to make a list of what is important to us, and then combine the lists, and then each of list the items on the combined list from most important to least important. The top five priorities (out of a list of about 20 items) for each of us was "non-negotiable", and if our "top five" had contradicted each other, we would have either compromised or entered into a "give and take" negotiation on the rest of the items.

[However, my husband and I are very fortunate in that we are so compatible in our wants that the only thing that my husband had to "give up" was having a good Japanese restaurant within 50 miles of us. (I like Japanese food, too, but it was never a "deal breaker" for me.)]

Good luck!!

THIS! Make sure your priorities are compatible first.

Old 07-05-2020, 06:21 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,921,088 times
Find a small town two hours from a metropolis, somewhere in the South or Southwest. Get central air.

She will be healthy and happy, and you can stay cool, and get your culture fix once a month on the weekend.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:40 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,582,011 times
Find an exburb 1 hour from a medium metro area of an area that meets your wifes climate expectations.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:06 PM

7,243 posts, read 7,064,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangemap View Post
So we’re thinking of moving, but there’s still two issues where we have opposite beliefs and need to find a compromise.

Size - We live now in a rural county with two stoplights and a population of about 30K with little in terms of amenities. We both agree we want something larger so we can get more choices for food, shopping, etc.

The issue is how big we should go. My wife is essentially a country girl who is afraid of cities. She doesn’t want anything larger than 40K. While I don’t need a major metro, I would like to be closer to something bigger for job diversity and culture.

Climate - She has arthritis in her knees that gets worse with cold temperatures. So I understand that she wants to live somewhere warm. But for me, I lose the will to live when temperatures hit 90 for a few days. I couldn’t imagine that for months at a time.

Any thoughts about what could get us back on track?
These are incompatible. Someone has to give. I suggest it be you, since yours is just a dislike and hers is a physical disability.

You will have to decide if you can stand heat but not humidity. That'll be the difference between some place like South Carolina or Arizona.

Find a decent sized city and live in the suburbs.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:10 PM

16 posts, read 19,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

This makes me feel better. We thought about moving in 2013, but we clearly weren't ready. I insisted on living in a major city and she insisted on being right on the beach. At an impasse, we stayed where we are now.

Last night, we thought about what type of climate would be best for us. We don't want to go to the far West..we can't afford the West Coast and she doesn't like desert. Plus we want to be within a reasonable driving distance of our parents. So, being stuck in the East, it's pick your poison, deal with summer or deal with winter...or deal with both.

This isn't scientific at all, but she picked the minimum daily high temperature she would feel comfortable (45) and I picked the maximum high temperature I'd feel comfortable with (80). I then went to the National Weather Service website and started typing in cities and recording how many days a year the average high temperature was between 45 and 80.

It turns out that Interstate 40 is roughly a line through the cities that have the most days of these temperatures. If you go too far north of it, you have to worry about winter in addition to summer. If you go too far south, summers become too long.

Old 07-06-2020, 01:42 PM

19,796 posts, read 9,331,249 times
Quote:
This makes me feel better. We thought about moving in 2013, but we clearly weren't ready. I insisted on living in a major city and she insisted on being right on the beach. At an impasse, we stayed where we are now.

Last night, we thought about what type of climate would be best for us. We don't want to go to the far West..we can't afford the West Coast and she doesn't like desert. Plus we want to be within a reasonable driving distance of our parents. So, being stuck in the East, it's pick your poison, deal with summer or deal with winter...or deal with both.

This isn't scientific at all, but she picked the minimum daily high temperature she would feel comfortable (45) and I picked the maximum high temperature I'd feel comfortable with (80). I then went to the National Weather Service website and started typing in cities and recording how many days a year the average high temperature was between 45 and 80.

It turns out that Interstate 40 is roughly a line through the cities that have the most days of these temperatures. If you go too far north of it, you have to worry about winter in addition to summer. If you go too far south, summers become too long.
Wow, the bold is a great idea. I'm impressed!!!

Old 07-06-2020, 03:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
Quote:

Brilliant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues