Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 09:34 AM

16 posts, read 19,182 times

Advertisements

So we’re thinking of moving, but there’s still two issues where we have opposite beliefs and need to find a compromise.

Size - We live now in a rural county with two stoplights and a population of about 30K with little in terms of amenities. We both agree we want something larger so we can get more choices for food, shopping, etc.

The issue is how big we should go. My wife is essentially a country girl who is afraid of cities. She doesn’t want anything larger than 40K. While I don’t need a major metro, I would like to be closer to something bigger for job diversity and culture.

Climate - She has arthritis in her knees that gets worse with cold temperatures. So I understand that she wants to live somewhere warm. But for me, I lose the will to live when temperatures hit 90 for a few days. I couldn’t imagine that for months at a time.

Any thoughts about what could get us back on track?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 07:43 AM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangemap View Post
So we’re thinking of moving, but ...
If Momma ain't happy... ain't nobody happy.

Old 07-05-2020, 08:23 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,968,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Ain't that the truth! (Spoken by a Momma ; )

Old 07-05-2020, 08:39 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Is there that much difference in opportunities/amenities between 30k and 40k?

If employment is not an issue, live where the COL meets your climate requirements. Perhaps somewhere like Tennessee.

Old 07-05-2020, 09:22 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,880,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangemap View Post
So we’re thinking of moving, but there’s still two issues where we have opposite beliefs and need to find a compromise.

Size - We live now in a rural county with two stoplights and a population of about 30K with little in terms of amenities. We both agree we want something larger so we can get more choices for food, shopping, etc.

The issue is how big we should go. My wife is essentially a country girl who is afraid of cities. She doesn’t want anything larger than 40K. While I don’t need a major metro, I would like to be closer to something bigger for job diversity and culture.

Climate - She has arthritis in her knees that gets worse with cold temperatures. So I understand that she wants to live somewhere warm. But for me, I lose the will to live when temperatures hit 90 for a few days. I couldn’t imagine that for months at a time.

A rural-ish area an hour or two outside of a metro area? She can stay in the country if she chooses, and you can drive into the city for work. Friends of mine just sold their house and live full time in their RV about 1.5 hours outside of Tulsa. One telecommutes from the RV, the other drives into town 3-4 days a week.

I don't feel qualified to venture into guessing about specific areas because every place I like to live is hotter than a fritter factory. Forecast high for today here is 110!

Old 07-05-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I agree with this 100%

Old 07-05-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Is there that much difference in opportunities/amenities between 30k and 40k?

If employment is not an issue, live where the COL meets your climate requirements. Perhaps somewhere like Tennessee.
Good question. So, the county in which I live has 30K. The entire county. When I talk about a city having 40K, I'm not including the suburbs and the rural parts. So a county that has a city of 40K might have at least 100K or more, which does make a difference in amenities.

Cost of living and jobs are definitely the two big essentials. I wish I knew more about conducting a relocation search. The first thing I'm doing is looking at housing costs and eliminating ones where the COL is too high. We're probably looking somewhere in the southeast US, even more likely in the Carolinas.

Old 07-05-2020, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
A rural-ish area an hour or two outside of a metro area? She can stay in the country if she chooses, and you can drive into the city for work. Friends of mine just sold their house and live full time in their RV about 1.5 hours outside of Tulsa. One telecommutes from the RV, the other drives into town 3-4 days a week.

I don't feel qualified to venture into guessing about specific areas because every place I like to live is hotter than a fritter factory. Forecast high for today here is 110!
This is what I was thinking. My thought was to find a large town/small city about 45 minutes to an hour outside of a mid to major sized city. This way, she can hang out in the small place and I can commute to get my city fix.

Old 07-05-2020, 02:18 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,730 times
Get another home and split your time between them?

Old 07-05-2020, 04:01 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
Unless you go to a high elevation in the mountains, NC can be miserably hot. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my state, but don't have unrealistic expectations on the temps. If you go to a high elevation in the mountains, you get some pretty cold temps in the winter and they can last from November to April (last time I was in our mountain house before it sold, it was mid-April and we had an 18 degree morning). We were at 4400 feet. The summers were fabulous! Never even had to turn on the A/C. The winters were a whole 'nother story. Maybe look at something at 2500-3000 feet in the mountains of NC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues