Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 10:57 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I've moved cross country several times, and every time, I come out ahead financially by self moving, but I am exhausted. Wondering if PODS or Upack may be easier on my body?

Upack -those cubes look tiny, I can't imagine being able to fit a bed and couch, but it's pretty cheap. 2k for two pods.

Pods - still no quote yet

Self move - looking at maybe 2000 as i have to compensate a buddy to help me move and then fly him back to original destination.

Movers - still haven't come back with a quote yet

This is an 1200 mile move.

Would love to hear your experiences.
Whenever I moved I usually diy. There are usually labor ready places where you can get a few guys to pack the truck. When you get to the place you move go find the daynlabor areas and have them move you in.

KEEP your valuables hidden.

I usually rented a big truck but next time I move I’m probably gonna get a big enclosed trailer and pack it myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2021, 12:21 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Make sure with PODS that they will actually deliver to the new place, which is tough if you haven't bought the new place yet. I would particularly worry about it if you may be going someplace that isn't a major city! We had clients who moved to WA and when they settled in Shelton and called to get their POD delivered, the nearest place PODs would deliver to was in Tacoma or Lakewood someplace... Over an hour away. Our clients had to rent a large UHAUL, drive to Lakewood, unpack everything from the POD, load it all in the truck, and then drive the truck to the new house and unload it. All under a clock for the UHAUL rental.

THAT WASN'T HANDY AT ALL!

Punch line... They don't deliver everywhere.
Yeah, I've run into that-my area is one of them they don't service.

U-Pack has had a huge price increase in the last few months. We're moving from Idaho to Tennessee. When I looked into a full, 28 foot truck in February I was quoted about $4800. Now about $7600!!! It gets worse. We planned to sell one car, rent a large cargo van and put our animals (8 cats, 4 dogs) in the van for the move. Have plans for a multi-level enclosure for the cats. Long story short-there are NO VANS AVAILABLE. Even most rental places are out of everything-vans, cars, SUVs, at least through August in my area. It's nuts! Current plan (as of a couple hours ago) is to keep both cars and rent a cargo trailer. That will let us bring a few items so we at least have a few things before our stuff gets delivered. Dogs and cats are going to have to deal with our rigs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues