Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2020, 11:39 PM

24 posts, read 39,947 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving in late October to Tennessee. We are looking at carpooling in one SUV while towing a 5'x8' U-haul enclosed toy-hauler trailer with our cat in her large carrier in the backseat with us, and having my car shipped on a flatbed open trailer sometime between now and the third week of October. We tried to gather a few quotes, but quickly were bombarded with spam calls and emails, confusing quotes or estimates and potential hidden fees. Has anyone used a good, reliable shipping company that provided:
- comprehensive insurance from door-to-door while it was in their possession?
- an all-inclusive quote with no hidden fees?
- would you recommend working with a broker or an auto shipping company directly?
- which reviews to trust?
- were you able to keep anything in the trunk or backseat, or below window height?
- any other pertinent information?
- any other ideas?
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2020, 10:16 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times
Under other ideas:

Tow your car instead of U-Haul trailer, and ship your "stuff" by one of the container outfits, like
U-pack https://www.upack.com/how-upack-work...ving-container
PODS https://www.pods.com/
u-Box https://www.uhaul.com/UBox/

Under reviews to. trust:

https://www.movingscam.com/

Old 09-26-2020, 05:59 PM

699 posts, read 1,014,513 times
We did this a few months ago....used 4 corners....no hidden fees, completely honest and trustworthy,
Jeff at the number below took care of everything at a very reasonable cost, much lower than our moving company quote. They came strongly recommended by friends who used them. They are located in Seattle I believe. Good luck!
And yes, we were allowed to put up to approximately 100 pounds of stuff in the trunk

4 Corners Transport Services LLC
Phone: 360 210 7665
Fax: 360 954 5488
Email: info@fourcornerstransportservices.com

Last edited by whitelotus; 09-26-2020 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: added more

Old 09-28-2020, 12:05 PM

169 posts, read 179,786 times
I believe some Carfax locations transport cars. I've read it on here before. Tried looking into it before we moved from SLC, UT back to St. Louis in February, but the SLC location didn't do this service.

Not sure where you're located but it might be worth looking on the Carfax site.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:57 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,611,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtDreamer16 View Post
I believe some Carfax locations transport cars. I've read it on here before. Tried looking into it before we moved from SLC, UT back to St. Louis in February, but the SLC location didn't do this service.

Not sure where you're located but it might be worth looking on the Carfax site.
It's CarMAX, not Carfax.

See https://www.carmax.com/car-shipping

However unfortunately for the OP, CarMax appears to not offer this service in CA or TN.

Old 09-28-2020, 03:27 PM

275 posts, read 285,166 times
We moved from NY to NV in August and used Number 1 Auto transport. Highly recommend.

Old 10-03-2020, 04:03 PM

24 posts, read 39,947 times
Thank you all for your replies. We found a direct carrier that works out for us great!

Towing our car is not an option, it could mess up the transmission unless we rented a trailer to tow it on, which is several hundred dollars more expensive, as well as an increase in several hundred dollars' cost in having our stuff shipped (Ubox, PODS, etc.).

Old 10-04-2020, 09:14 PM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
Sell the car in Calif, then buy in Tenn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues