U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 02:18 PM

1,401 posts, read 725,503 times

Advertisements

When we moved from California to Wyoming we had an entire house worth of stuff that we needed to move. I checked into U-haul, Penske, Budget etc but in the end the best company for us that we used was U-pack.

How it works is that they bring a big trailer to your house and leave it there for 3 days. You have to fill it up with your belongings, furniture, boxes, etc. It's up to you to pack it so things are safe so we used moving blankets, newspaper, all the things. Then you put this bar across your stuff to keep it secure. It also shows them where your stuff ends because if there's room they'll finish filling the trailer with someone else's stuff. After three days they come back and drive the trailer away.

Then on the date you chose they will arrive at your new house in the new state and drop the trailer off. You have 3 days to unload it all and get everything that's yours off the truck. Then they pick the trailer up again and the job is done.

Worked like a charm for us. Only caveat is make sure that the houses have enough room for this big rig trailer to be parked on your property or on your street and that your not breaking any city or HOA laws with it being there. Or get advance permission. We didn't have any issues but we weren't in the city limits either time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2020, 02:39 PM

6,421 posts, read 10,363,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
When we moved from California to Wyoming we had an entire house worth of stuff that we needed to move. I checked into U-haul, Penske, Budget etc but in the end the best company for us that we used was U-pack.

How it works is that they bring a big trailer to your house and leave it there for 3 days. You have to fill it up with your belongings, furniture, boxes, etc. It's up to you to pack it so things are safe so we used moving blankets, newspaper, all the things. Then you put this bar across your stuff to keep it secure. It also shows them where your stuff ends because if there's room they'll finish filling the trailer with someone else's stuff. After three days they come back and drive the trailer away.
<snip>
Not exactly.
This from https://www.upack.com/how-upack-work...ailer/bulkhead

"One unique thing about moving in a U-Pack trailer is that you only pay for the space you need. Any empty room is filled with commercial goods moving in the same direction."

Old 12-13-2020, 03:07 PM

6,588 posts, read 3,094,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
You know, a 5 X 8 is an awful small trailer. Might look at going up a size or two. (I know, 1 bd apt.) Yeah, people can "rat hole" a lot more stuff than they thought they had. A 6 X 10 if you have a couch. And if you have a king-size mattress, forget it. It might go diagonal.

Based on the limits of the trailer size, it sounds like you're pulling it with a smaller car. If so, plan on getting crappy mileage as that little 4 banger will work harder than it ever has! Figure about 1/2 to 2/3rds of what you regularly get. (Hint~ Your cheapest fuel will be along the Texas/Oklahoma border, pretty much.)

The Clampett's are moovin' to Tennessee! YEE HAWW!
Good advice. I had a mover once tell me to figure out what size truck I needed and then go up one size. No big deal if you have extra room. You’re in trouble if your stuff won’t all fit in one load.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:08 AM

979 posts, read 898,214 times
I had planned on using Pods for our future out-of-state move. But after reading this thread I have switched to Upack and it was about half the cost of Pods. I will use two of the small separate containers instead of the big trailer. We will only have a few pieces of furniture. When I checked Upack it mentioned that if I wanted the big trailer option I would have to bring all of my stuff to their yard to load into the trailer. This made this option not possible, so I will the go the container route instead. Another reason against the trailer is the height of the trailer which makes it very hard for heavy stuff.

Old 12-14-2020, 07:23 AM

2,618 posts, read 1,402,192 times
How about renting and selling your car or even trading your car in for a cargo van. Great conversion vehicle if you and your husband like camping and husband is handy.

Another option is to rent a small truck and tow your car.

Last edited by NorthofHere; 12-14-2020 at 07:47 AM..

Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 68 times
Try out this company trailers123 They are very reliable and their products are quiet cheap. I patronized them when I changed location too.

Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM

2,041 posts, read 953,374 times
Upack’s minimum for their trailer is only 5 ft but scheduling on short notice might be an issue. You may want to try their cube option or UHaul’s equivalent cube.

Have a safe move, good luck!

Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM

2,041 posts, read 953,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benhouston View Post
Try out this company trailers123 They are very reliable and their products are quiet cheap. I patronized them when I changed location too.
From their site:

DUE TO THE PANDEMIC ALL TRAILERS ARE ON BACK-ORDER. PLEASE CALL 727-346-6423 FOR MORE DETAILS.
Their caps, not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues