U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2020, 04:22 PM

24 posts, read 30,743 times

Advertisements

My husband and I reserved a U-haul enclosed 5x8 trailer for our cross-country move (2,000 miles) a month out, but we got a call this morning from a rep saying that it may not be available for our date. We told him that we cannot go up or down in size due to towing capacity and the volume of stuff we have already packed (a 1 bedroom apartment's worth of stuff), so now I'm looking for alternative companies. We are on a budget, which is why we chose the enclosed trailer in the first place. We would consider purchasing as well, if it's price comparable and meets the towing capacity limits and is in good condition as well. Trailers have gone up in price in our area. Any recommendations?
TIA
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2020, 02:26 PM

13,733 posts, read 7,116,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HikingFairy View Post
My husband and I reserved a U-haul enclosed 5x8 trailer for our cross-country move (2,000 miles) a month out, but we got a call this morning from a rep saying that it may not be available for our date. We told him that we cannot go up or down in size due to towing capacity and the volume of stuff we have already packed (a 1 bedroom apartment's worth of stuff), so now I'm looking for alternative companies. We are on a budget, which is why we chose the enclosed trailer in the first place. We would consider purchasing as well, if it's price comparable and meets the towing capacity limits and is in good condition as well. Trailers have gone up in price in our area. Any recommendations?
TIA
And "your area" is where and to where are you moving? Penobscot? Anchorage? San Diego? Miami? What do your local yellow pages have to offer in terms of rental trailers?

Old 10-04-2020, 09:10 PM

14,490 posts, read 28,424,821 times
A previous post says the move is from Long Beach to Clarksville, TN.

Old 10-04-2020, 09:27 PM

3,240 posts, read 1,165,347 times
You know, a 5 X 8 is an awful small trailer. Might look at going up a size or two. (I know, 1 bd apt.) Yeah, people can "rat hole" a lot more stuff than they thought they had. A 6 X 10 if you have a couch. And if you have a king-size mattress, forget it. It might go diagonal.

Based on the limits of the trailer size, it sounds like you're pulling it with a smaller car. If so, plan on getting crappy mileage as that little 4 banger will work harder than it ever has! Figure about 1/2 to 2/3rds of what you regularly get. (Hint~ Your cheapest fuel will be along the Texas/Oklahoma border, pretty much.)

The Clampett's are moovin' to Tennessee! YEE HAWW!

Old 10-05-2020, 10:26 AM

24 posts, read 30,743 times
Thank you Norty Flatz. We are not bringing any furniture, and have about 40 medium-sized boxes. My husband planned it out and we've donated a ton! I actually made him order the boxes early because I was skeptical at how much could fit
Good to know the space size of a mattress though, we're planning on leaving ours (10 years old) and buying a new one when we get there.

Ha! true on the mileage and good to know where the cheaper gas is.

Yeehaw!

Old 12-12-2020, 03:13 AM

1 posts, read 605 times
I’m in the same boat kinda.. been pricing stuff out and cargo trailers are crazy expensive here in the PNW. I can buy the same trailer brand new in GA for like $2000. Even used trailers, if you can find one, are expensive. U-hauls 8x12 enclosed trailer is wicked heavy and not very tall when compared to ones I could buy. I’m limited to 5000lbs for a trailer and I’d like to stay south of that as much as possible. I don’t necessarily need tandem axles with the weight I’d be hauling, but should probably have brakes, which is a simple kit. Plan would be to sell the trailer once I was done with it, but with such cheap ones new in GA(heading to FL) I doubt I’d get even half what I paid. Open utility trailers are cheaper, was thinking I might be able to enclose one with plywood for the trip. Plus I feel an open trailer is probably an easier sell in FL, perhaps lawn care etc. Also thought about buying a used box truck and selling it on the other end.... but again, they’re really expensive here. If I didn’t have cats I’d just do a mega purge, pods whatever else was left, sell cars, and buy a plane ticket lol.

Old 12-12-2020, 11:20 AM

6,421 posts, read 10,357,203 times
Hope you weren't planning on hauling the cats in the trailer :-(

If open to a "mega purge", do that and then pods or u-pack or u-box, and drive car with cats. :-)

Old 12-12-2020, 01:59 PM

13,914 posts, read 18,314,525 times
My wife and I hope to sell our home in New Mexico soon and return to our native Texas. Enclosed trailers are indeed expensive just about everywhere but I would always recommend buying a used one locally, if you can somehow manage it, then selling it when you get to your destination. On our last interstate move to our small Texas farm I made a good profit by reselling a used enclosed Haulmark, single-axle, motorcycle trailer (7'X14'?) I had bought for the move. I hope to do the same on this move except that it will be a 2-axle enclosed trailer that I will probably keep.

Or you could do the same with a box truck if your tow vehicle can't handle the size trailer you need. Unfortunately, the demand for box trailers are also in demand and much more costly than a trailer.

Good luck and be safe in your move.

Old 12-13-2020, 06:36 AM

21,165 posts, read 17,175,627 times
We once shipped our "excess" boxes by UPS, while not cheap, it got the job done. I don't know of any other companies that rent trailers for moving.

Old 12-13-2020, 12:50 PM

863 posts, read 604,723 times
Have you looked at any other companies aside from UHaul? They are not the only game in town so to speak. What about renting a van or a small truck as a substitute option?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues