Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 12:22 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,360,487 times

Advertisements

There is also a choice not to move anything like a houseful of furniture. Sell the stuff and buy new in your new town. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2020, 07:10 PM

287 posts, read 209,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
Bruceski44, did you plan out your major stops in advance? What sorts of places did you stay at for sleeping?
Yes I did. I forget how far we went each day, but I do recall we stopped at Tallahassee the first night, because we diverted on the first day out of Melbourne to visit my mother’s grave. Then we stopped in Baton Rouge. And I know we stopped in San Antonio, but I think there was a stop before that. Our last night was in Las Cruces, NM, then a long day to LA area.

I had a lot of Hilton and Marriott rewards from my business travel, so we stayed at the lower tier of those places, as long as they served a free breakfast buffet. I parked the truck and trailer right outside our room to keep an eye on it.

Old 11-04-2020, 09:00 AM

648 posts, read 513,462 times
Thanks Bruceski44.

kitty61, what I’m bringing is stuff that I do not want anyone else handling. Whatever furniture we do decide to bring will go on a moving truck.

Old 11-08-2020, 03:40 PM

215 posts, read 188,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pejp View Post

First off, backing up a trailer, if you haven't done it before, is NOT intuitive at all. With practice it gets easier, but for most people, the movements are the opposite of what you're naturally do when backing up. ....
Place your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, steer the direction you want the trailer to go.

Old 11-09-2020, 03:12 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,699,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
Thanks Bruceski44.

kitty61, what I’m bringing is stuff that I do not want anyone else handling. Whatever furniture we do decide to bring will go on a moving truck.
Check to see if there are any truck stops along your route. They'll have very large parking lots for over size vehicles. Fuel is also a little cheaper at these. Most of them have showers/laundry/c-store/restaurant/barber services. Some even have small churches inside them.

Love's Travel Stops is one.

T/A is another chain.

Old 11-09-2020, 06:14 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,172,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pejp View Post
I just moved with my family from Colorado to NJ. Me, wife, twins, and two dogs. We have a VW Atlas, and rented a 12ft U-Haul trailer, so probably similar size to what you're doing, it was about 30ft nose to tail. It was my first time towing a trailer.
If it’s the twin axle trailer, I’ve towed this twice, once behind a Touareg and the second time behind a Q7. It’s a beast.

Old 11-13-2020, 04:43 PM

716 posts, read 587,414 times
We moved across country with a U-Haul and pulled our car on a tow dolly. We had no problem with hotels. We stayed at places not too far off the interstate for obvious reasons. Every hotel had easy parking for the truck. Usually on the back side of the hotel, parking cross-ways over regular parking spots. We'd find an open place that seemed to inconvenience the fewest other guests' parking and then confirmed with the check in desk that it was a good place to park. They always said it was fine. Often they'd set us up in a room where we could see the truck from our room window. Probably a good idea not to check in too late when finding a long open stretch of spaces might be more challenging, although in these COVID days every hotel we stayed at was pretty empty. RVs also park that way, so you'll see that too.

Old 11-14-2020, 06:32 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,514,124 times
Having moved across country twice in the past five years I have learned a valuable lesson; sell or dispose of everything and start over. My first move entailed a traditional moving company that ended up costing 14k. Most of the furniture “ didn’t work” in my new house and I got rid of it within a year of the move. Recently moved across country again, this time using pods to move most of the big stuff (WAY CHEAPER than a traditional moving company) then towed a U-haul trailer with my tools and other outdoor stuff. Once again, new house, furniture looked out of place, sent almost everything to consignment shops. Moving bulky items long distance is costly and a pain. I think it’s actually cheaper to liquidate almost everything and start over. Will never pay to move personal belongings again.

Old 11-15-2020, 06:47 PM

648 posts, read 513,462 times
I’m actually not planning on bringing any large items except my Sleep Number bed. Every other piece of large furniture is going to be gotten rid of one way or another. I am bringing small things like lamps etc, maybe a couple of book cases. But otherwise it’s kitchen stuff, clothing, electronics, stuff like that. I already have a new living room and new lanai furniture at the new house.

Old 11-15-2020, 09:07 PM

716 posts, read 587,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olds1 View Post
Place your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, steer the direction you want the trailer to go.
Good to know, but not bad advice for people who aren't accustomed to it to avoid ever having to back up. We traveled west coast to east coast and never had to back up the truck with the car tow dolly attached. Most (all?) gas stations have their pumps set up for driving through. For hotels, you can look on Google maps satellite view to make sure you can drive all the way around the building and back onto the street, do it before you book a place. It's simple to do and only takes a minute. We did find that large chain hotels you find along the interstate are almost always designed this way. After all, they get a lot of business from truckers and design their buildings and parking lot layouts accordingly. They want to make it easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues