Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 03:03 PM

10,947 posts, read 6,988,496 times

Advertisements

I did a trip of less than half of that, and no trailer, during the summer. Seemed like a really long drive, even though I like road trips and travel.

I'd think winter travel would be much worse around Boston than Seattle, so hopefully you'd be ready for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 10:40 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,168,491 times
We moved to Wyoming in winter weather four years ago. I had zero experience driving on snow. It was quite the awakening let me tell you. We hit snow in Utah, Idaho, and into Wyoming. The drive took forever. Here's my tips.

Pay close attention to the weather forecast and adjust your trip accordingly. If you can leave sooner to avoid the bad weather get up at 4 a.m and go! Or delay leaving until the worst of the storm is over. Be prepared to stop if need be, and don't wait until the last minute where you're at some tiny no where town and all the rooms are already booked. Keep sleeping bags in your car, along with other emergency supplies, that way if you can't find a place to stay for the night you can sleep in your vehicle with the supplies and sleeping bags you have.

Bring chains and know how to use them.

I don't have any winter experience with the I-90, but I do with the I-80 through Wyoming. That interstate gets shut down frequently in the winter for bad weather and for major accidents. When they shut it down it could be closed for hours or even a day or more. It's a huge trucking route, but when things get squirrelly it can be a total disaster. Trucks plowing into trucks, passenger cars, etc. High winds, blowing snow, blizzards etc. Be prepared for anything. Again watch the weather and avoid the storms if at all possible.

Take it easy, don't rush when you're driving on snow or ice. Watch some YouTube videos on winter driving they will explain what to do when you start to slide, not if/when. Leave a much bigger space cushion between you and the other cars on the road. If you are going too slow, pull over at a safe spot and let the other drivers pass you. They have more experience in the conditions so they may be comfortable going faster than you, but you need to go at a safe speed.

Lastly no trailer. It's complicated enough driving in winter conditions without adding that extra potential danger to your journey.

Just my two cents take it or leave it.

Old 11-26-2020, 06:47 PM

3,576 posts, read 2,165,451 times
Personally I would ship the car. We made a trip from Boston to Las Vegas for a move and hit snow, blizzard horrible weather. I will never drive again cross country in the winter weather. I would sell the car or ship it. Fly and take the dog on the plane too, he/she will be fine . I have flown many times with our dogs they were always ok.

Old 11-26-2020, 09:46 PM

32,758 posts, read 35,962,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
Personally I would ship the car. We made a trip from Boston to Las Vegas for a move and hit snow, blizzard horrible weather. I will never drive again cross country in the winter weather. I would sell the car or ship it. Fly and take the dog on the plane too, he/she will be fine . I have flown many times with our dogs they were always ok.
It really depends on the dog. Our dachshund or spaniel would have been fine. The terriers not so much.

Old 11-26-2020, 09:53 PM

32,758 posts, read 35,962,679 times
Post in the Auto forum and ask what you want in your car. Hopefully things like tea candles in aluminum cans are mentioned.

Old 11-26-2020, 11:57 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,190,784 times
I totally agree with good sleeping bags in case you get stranded. Keep fueled up.

I drove from CT to CA with my 2 dogs. I used a trip planning site and made hotel reservations in advance. It wasn't winter.

My dogs took supplements and were on a fairly restricted diet. I pre-portioned out their meals, by dog, day, am/pm and marked the baggies with a sharpie.

Old 11-27-2020, 02:35 AM

10,932 posts, read 11,657,815 times
I90 all the way is the most direct route. Yes, there is a risk of winter storms, icy roads and also high winds, at least until you get to around Chicago. You obviously need to look at long term weather forecasts before you leave. Be prepared for the worst case. Be sure you have good winter tires. Take a cooler with plenty of food, lots of water, and blankets. Dress warm. If it starts snowing, stop in the nearest town and rest in place until things clear out. Winter blizzards along the Northern and upper Northwest stretch leave highways strewn with stalled vehicles for a day or two after a large blizzard. In a blizzard, towing a trailer is really hazardous, especially if it's a big one.

I have never driven this route in the Winter. But I have driven from Minneapolis to Colorado Springs, twice, in the winter, just after big blizzards, and both times we encountered post-blizzard situations, but we made good time by taking the precautions I have mentioned.

Old 11-27-2020, 09:41 AM

416 posts, read 404,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberc11 View Post
Thank you all for your advice. Unfortunately, we do have to move in winter as I start my new job in Boston in January.

I think for sure we aren't going to do the trailer and we'll go with the POD route instead.

And I think you all are right, we just have to take it slow, be prepared, and wait out any storms along the way.

I looked a bit into flying out and either shipping our car or selling it, but I am just worried about how our dog would do with that.
Good decision! Ship the stuff, drive the car & take the dog.

It’s going to be a horrible trip so get mentally prepared. Drive in shifts, be safe and make sure your vehicle is in perfect shape (get a full service, check tires aren’t worn/summer-only, etc).

Good luck!

Old 11-27-2020, 08:32 PM

3,602 posts, read 9,013,592 times
We've moved cross country with dogs and cats more times than I can count. Hood River, OR to Rhode Island is the closest to yours. I did it in February with a storm in front of me and one behind me 2 dogs one who got a bladder infection on the trip, a siamese cat who had commentary the whole way and a husband with the flu. It almost broke me, my advice:

Pack a cooler with food and drinks, for humans and dog. Make reservations for dog friendly hotels ahead of time, we're good for about 8-9 hours of driving, knowing where we are stopping for the night gives you something to look forward to. I do look for hotels with a restaurant or within walking distance because when we finally check in and walk the dog I want a drink and dinner and I don't want to drive anywhere. I pack beer, screw top wine maybe a bottle of gin and cookies, I need to take the edge off after being in the car all day. Good tires and extra wiper fluid are life savers as well as the ability to change you plans if needed, give yourself a cushion to get there.

For the dog, tag with your cell, even if your pup is trained off leash, please use one. Unfamiliar places and scary noises can lead to tragedy, a harness is also useful if you have a dog that could slip his collar and run. Keep the pup hydrated, hotels can be strange places so a blanket or bed that smells like home is great.

Good luck and safe travels!

Old 11-28-2020, 07:34 AM

3,286 posts, read 1,888,678 times
We moved cross country with three dogs during Covid restrictions but it was along the southern route. My advice is regarding your dog. Our vet prescribed anti-nausea medicine for them which fortunately we didn't have to use and he also prescribed anti-anxiety meds which we did give them each morning before we set out on our drive and it made for a very pleasant trip for them. They slept in their crates most of the time we were driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues