Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 09:00 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,010,811 times

Advertisements

I'd be interested to know from those who have moved across states what the cost difference was when comparing getting a moving truck and packing it yourself, versus package one of those pods and having it moved, versus paying a company to do everything for you. Obviously the latter option will be the most expensive but I wonder how much more expensive. We are considering a move from Indiana to Texas later this year and I've always used a moving truck and packed it myself, but after our last move my wife said she doesn't want to do that again. I wonder how much cash we'd need to spend to pack up a pod and have it shipped or for someone else to do everything from us. Anyone have past experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2022, 09:05 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,019,204 times
It is of course going to be cheaper moving yourself. Unfortunately no one is going to be able to give you even a good guess on how much it will cost to have someone else move you. That will very on local costs and how large your house.

Being in the military we moved many many times. From that experience I can tell you that if you can afford it, have someone else move you. Not having the stress of having to deal with it is amazing. However, make sure that you supervise the movers as they pack stuff up and make sure that there is an inventory sheet from you and from the movers. That way you can verify that everything you packed up makes it there. One other thing. If you have anything that is fragile or valuable (grandmas china perhaps) pack it up and move it yourself.

Old 01-02-2022, 11:23 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,650,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
I'd be interested to know from those who have moved across states what the cost difference was when comparing getting a moving truck and packing it yourself, versus package one of those pods and having it moved, versus paying a company to do everything for you. Obviously the latter option will be the most expensive but I wonder how much more expensive. We are considering a move from Indiana to Texas later this year and I've always used a moving truck and packed it myself, but after our last move my wife said she doesn't want to do that again. I wonder how much cash we'd need to spend to pack up a pod and have it shipped or for someone else to do everything from us. Anyone have past experiences?
We moved from TX to WA in 2019 (only stayed 9 months hated it) Bekins and Allied both quoted us $14k!! We did the Uhaul thing for a total of $5k or so. We moved back to TX and used Uhaul. Glad to make 20k on the house we had for 9 months that paid for our move and new TX home downpayment.

Astounded that they would charge that much. Had 3br/2ba home, not that much stuff. Probably lots more now.

Old 01-02-2022, 12:38 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,019,204 times
I do have another idea which saves you money but can take alot of the hassle out of moving. For me, the worst part about moving was the loading and unloading the truck. I dont mind driving. What we have done is to hire someone to pack the truck, I would then drive the moving truck to where ever we were going and then hire someone to unpack it.

Total cost for the packer/unpackers was 500 dollars. You still have to rent the truck and pay for gas but the total for everything should be less then 1000 dollars.

Old 01-02-2022, 03:08 PM

7,520 posts, read 13,634,207 times
You can get an instant on-line rough estimate for all 4 methods here, based on the specifics of your move:

https://www.movebuddha.com/

Old 01-03-2022, 07:15 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,010,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
We moved from TX to WA in 2019 (only stayed 9 months hated it) Bekins and Allied both quoted us $14k!! We did the Uhaul thing for a total of $5k or so. We moved back to TX and used Uhaul. Glad to make 20k on the house we had for 9 months that paid for our move and new TX home downpayment.

Astounded that they would charge that much. Had 3br/2ba home, not that much stuff. Probably lots more now.
14k is ridiculous!! I saw someone in another thread say it cost them 30k to use a moving service going across the country which is even more insane! Unfortunately, I hate packing/un-packing a 26 foot moving truck but also hate driving a truck that big (did it when we moved from Illinois to Indiana and that wasn't even that far and I didn't enjoy it, it's just stressful driving something that big IMO). But for 9k difference I would do it again. 14k isn't worth it!

Old 01-03-2022, 07:19 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,490,397 times
my neighbor across the street,father and 3 sons are all long distance movers,often go to Florida,they do very well !!

Old 01-03-2022, 07:51 AM

218 posts, read 214,444 times
Quote:
14k is ridiculous!! I saw someone in another thread say it cost them 30k to use a moving service going across the country which is even more insane! Unfortunately, I hate packing/un-packing a 26 foot moving truck but also hate driving a truck that big (did it when we moved from Illinois to Indiana and that wasn't even that far and I didn't enjoy it, it's just stressful driving something that big IMO). But for 9k difference I would do it again. 14k isn't worth it!
I had a client in 2021 move from Cali to Charleston. She was quoted $38k. I told her I would fly myself and a small team out for $25k, pay for airfare, lodging, and other expenses as long as she covered the truck and gas. I offered because we've had such terrible experiences with moving companies. Almost always something of value is broken and many times stolen. The claims process is almost worthless. With that being said, I'm sure you could find some local vetted guys to load the truck, drive it, deliver it, and unload for significantly less.

Old 01-03-2022, 07:57 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,605,988 times
Quote:
Not that insane, if its a full-service move for a moderately sized home.

Cost is relative, however I've moved more times than I can count, and I simply can't spend the time packing.Our last 3 moves have been full service moves (they come and pack/crate everything) and its money well spent.

Old 01-03-2022, 08:19 AM

3,062 posts, read 2,040,914 times
Full-service move is not "stressless". Our 2019 move from FL to NC pre-Covid cost $7k, lowest among 3 estimates.
We did our boxing/packing and national company with highly rated local office did the loading, trucking and delivery.

Even though longtime owner (meaning very experienced) came months before to see what would be moved he underestimated quantity so another half truck was needed. We were under great pressure to go-go-go and race the loaded truck to destination so they could get back on the road after delivery. We, as retired seniors, don't drive as many hours a day or as fast as truckers do so after weeks of exhausting packing we also had to drive like he** to meet the truck and then couple days later get another delivery of the other furniture.

We were continually told our contents would not be touched once on the truck. Untrue. When the first large truck arrived for FL pickup it was half-filled with other contents to be delivered somewhere else in NC. We ended up with no missing furniture but a really nice leather jacket went missing.

At our age we could not do anything except "full service" move. But it is not "stressless" by any measure. I had to have physical therapy on hands due to overuse in packing, never had a hand problem before that time. Luckily great PT got that fixed. Moving sucks but must be done.

Last edited by twinkletwinkle22; 01-03-2022 at 09:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues