Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 10:14 PM

1 posts, read 6,367 times

Advertisements

We have a box turtle as a pet and need to move it across the country with us. Any idea how? We don't want to bring it in the car because we're worried he'll over-hat if we have to leave him in the car for any time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 12:51 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Wow, what an interesting subject, what a beautiful turtle -- and what a challenge!!

I've just spent close to 2 hours on the internet looking for moving information relative to the Box Turtle. Found out they can live over 100 years! Found out lots about how intelligent they are, their living conditions, including temperature, humidity, food, hibernation....

Okay. I've got three suggestions:
1. Ask your turtle's doctor, your exotic pet veterinarian. The doctor has to know or will be able to find out pretty quickly.
2. Slog through the many, many Box Turtle care books in your local library.....
3. Contact this animal clinic, All Creatures Veterinary Clinic in Omaha.
All Creatures Veterinary-Home
They clearly know these animals -- this page of their website is all about the Box Turtle, although not about moving one:
All Creatures Veterinary-Box Turtle Care
I had to do some sleuthing to find out where that clinic is. Here's the info, with area code for that phone number on their website:
MyVetOnline.com

A surprising possibility:
I clicked on "Activities" on this site, the Tortoise Trust Web page, "Avoiding Problems With Box Turtles":
Tortoise Trust Web - Avoiding problems with Box Turtles
and got this site, the Tortoise Trust Foundation:
Home
with this email address: tortoisetrust@aol.com
You could send them an email, imploring them to please help you....

I hope this helps! And I wish you all well.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:06 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Allforcats has certainly provided what looks to be some very helpful info.
We drove a water turtle from New York to Colorado with no problems, and this was a non-airconditioned car.
But I do understand that box turtles are different.
I can *certainly* understand your worries about overheating.
I would think that keeping him or her in a little bath would be helpful.
We gave our box turtle baths all the time, she seemed to enjoy them.

Old 05-08-2008, 07:16 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times
At least it's not a fish!

Old 05-08-2008, 11:32 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Whatever you do don't let him loose in the back seat.

My friend John lives in Florida where the sea turtles come in to lay their eggs. He found one of them up on the highway and knew that it would get smashed so he picked it up and put it in the back seat of his car to take it back to the beach.

The turtle got stuck under the driver's seat and John had to take the whole inside of his car apart to get it out. He couldn't get it back together so he told the insurance somebody stole his car and tried to strip it down by the beach.

The insurance company fixed the car and the turtle was last seen heading back out into the Atlantic.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:43 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
verrrrrrrrrrry slowllllllllllly

Old 05-08-2008, 04:06 PM

319 posts, read 1,910,868 times
You could bring him in the car, and just have a smaller carrying case to take him with you for very long stops (lunch, etc). Allforcats had tons of advice too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues