U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 04:13 AM

988 posts, read 904,639 times

Advertisements

My two containers arrived around mid-day on Thursday. My first impression was I hope our "stuff" fits in them. I have no furniture, just too much "stuff" for just two of us. I even discussed with the driver how quick could I get another one if I needed it. I had these delivered on a Thursday to give me more time to load and adjust the load. My wife and I use to move about every 1 1/2 year or so due to work. We are experts at loading. By mid-day on Friday 95% of everything was loaded. What is left is what I call "space killers" which will go on top. These containers hold a lot of "stuff". One thing I wished I thought of was to buy boxes from only one place. The boxes from Lowes and Walmart are not the same size.

These are scheduled to be picked up on Tuesday and they will be taken to their warehouse to store for 30 days. This will give me time to find a storage facility where I am moving to or our new home. The storage fee is a little steep costing $150 per container a month.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 08:30 AM

181 posts, read 81,117 times
I just completed a move from CA to ID using U-Pack. Everything worked out, but the process was near-broken. At first, when I was awaiting the cubes, they said our order was canceled. But then they managed to deliver them, albeit late. Then later, when I called to price one add-on cube for my overflow, they had us moving from NV to WY, when we were really moving from CA to ID. Someone had apparently changed the wrong record. Then, when I called for pickup, they didn't have us down for pickup that day, but managed to pick them up, again, late. Because of the changes to our source and destination address, we felt we had to call every day just to verify the destination address was still correct. I had lost confidence in UPack at that point.

Here are my lessons:
1. Call them frequently to verify your info is still correct and their schedule is up to date.
2. Order an extra cube. Their website said 3-4 cubes for a 4 BR house, but we needed 5. I had a shed and a garage holding some stuff (garage still fit one car with room to spare, so not full) and my exercise bike and Bowflex Max are odd-shaped.
3. Buy some E-Track fittings for your ratchet straps or ropes to attach to the walls. This is what I bought, but you may find them cheaper. The S-hook straps will still grab the slots inside the cube, but the E-Track adapters are best.
4. I built a ramp into the cube using plywood and 2 2x4s at the lip, tapering down using various 1x and 2x lumber so I could roll heavy stuff right in. Same for the house entry to avoid beating up the transom.
5. I had a hand truck, refrigerator dolly and a few furniture dollies which made it easy to load most of the stuff by myself.
6. I wrapped furniture with blankets (Harbor Freight) and then wrapped them completely with plastic stretch wrap. You can get two sizes of that stuff (4" wide and wider, maybe 24") and we used it everywhere. That stuff wasn't around last time we moved ~30 years ago and it was incredibly helpful. We used two rolls of each.
7. We used these labels. Even though we moved ourselves, the labels were easy to spot even our our pre-used boxes. Don't stick them to anything you'd want to remove them from, because they don't come off.

I think that's all. U-Pack worked out for us and I would use them again, but I'd watch them like a hawk. It was about $1300 per cube to move from CA to ID and the biggest benefit was we didn't get extorted by any of the moving companies. It was also good to DIY and even though I'm 62, I managed to do 95% of it myself.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:18 AM

6,424 posts, read 10,384,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceski44 View Post
I just completed a move from CA to ID using U-Pack. Everything worked out, but the process was near-broken. At first, when I was awaiting the cubes, they said our order was canceled. But then they managed to deliver them, albeit late. Then later, when I called to price one add-on cube for my overflow, they had us moving from NV to WY, when we were really moving from CA to ID. Someone had apparently changed the wrong record. Then, when I called for pickup, they didn't have us down for pickup that day, but managed to pick them up, again, late. Because of the changes to our source and destination address, we felt we had to call every day just to verify the destination address was still correct. I had lost confidence in UPack at that point.

Here are my lessons:
1. Call them frequently to verify your info is still correct and their schedule is up to date.
2. Order an extra cube. Their website said 3-4 cubes for a 4 BR house, but we needed 5. I had a shed and a garage holding some stuff (garage still fit one car with room to spare, so not full) and my exercise bike and Bowflex Max are odd-shaped.
3. Buy some E-Track fittings for your ratchet straps or ropes to attach to the walls. This is what I bought, but you may find them cheaper. The S-hook straps will still grab the slots inside the cube, but the E-Track adapters are best.
4. I built a ramp into the cube using plywood and 2 2x4s at the lip, tapering down using various 1x and 2x lumber so I could roll heavy stuff right in. Same for the house entry to avoid beating up the transom.
5. I had a hand truck, refrigerator dolly and a few furniture dollies which made it easy to load most of the stuff by myself.
6. I wrapped furniture with blankets (Harbor Freight) and then wrapped them completely with plastic stretch wrap. You can get two sizes of that stuff (4" wide and wider, maybe 24") and we used it everywhere. That stuff wasn't around last time we moved ~30 years ago and it was incredibly helpful. We used two rolls of each.
7. We used these labels. Even though we moved ourselves, the labels were easy to spot even our our pre-used boxes. Don't stick them to anything you'd want to remove them from, because they don't come off.

I think that's all. U-Pack worked out for us and I would use them again, but I'd watch them like a hawk. It was about $1300 per cube to move from CA to ID and the biggest benefit was we didn't get extorted by any of the moving companies. It was also good to DIY and even though I'm 62, I managed to do 95% of it myself.
Just curious, if you had that much of a load, why not use the 28' trailer option ?

Parking ? Costs ? Steeper ramp ?

Old 02-27-2021, 09:27 AM

181 posts, read 81,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Just curious, if you had that much of a load, why not use the 28' trailer option ?

Parking ? Costs ? Steeper ramp ?
Yeah, it was the steep ramp. It's about 4 feet high and I couldn't see myself pushing or pulling anything up that steep a ramp. I fell on one of those ramps when I was moving my dad when the ramp was slick from a brief rain and I didn't realize it. I don't need any more pain. The lip into the ReloCubes is only about 4 inches
high.

U-Pack will not charge you for the "extra" cube unless you use it.

Last edited by Bruceski44; 02-27-2021 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: added more info

Old 02-27-2021, 10:24 AM

The driver that delivered our cubes mentioned that the trailer option may have been better. I did not want it being it was too long and don't forget the space needed for ramp. Plus as Bruceski44 mentions it was to steep. I had my cubes put about 8' away from my shop door which had the heavier items. One cube is filled about 2/3 full and the other one about 1/2 full. I am in the process not of putting my yard working tools in voids.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:59 PM

444 posts, read 103,805 times
I’ll let you know in a couple of months. Just made my reservation for the trailer to be delivered end of the second week in June. I have too many large, heavy, bulky tools and tool chests to even want to attempt the pods. Hoping the driver can get it into my driveway here in CA. Not the least bit worried about the new house in Maine as I essentially have a parking lot at the end of my nice long driveway.

Old 03-01-2021, 04:30 AM

I will be calling for my cubes to be picked up today. They are to be stored at their facility in Fayetteville for at least a month. The perfect scenario would be I find a new home and have the cubes delivered there. It would be less wear and tear on my old 70 year old body than dropping off the cubes at a storage facility where I would have to unload, then reload and unload again at the new home.

The big issue with having the cubes dropped off at my new home is a lot of the driveways are on slopes plus the streets are narrow. I read somewhere that they need a certain amount of space and they cannot deliver the cubes if the driveway has more than a certain percent of slop.

Old 03-01-2021, 02:05 PM

The cubes are gone and they will be heading to NW Arkansas. I was concerned about exceeding the 2500 pound limit being I had a lot of tools in one. I did split them up but more was in one than the other one. He picked them both up with no problems. The driver did not call before heading this way and caught us by surprise. My 40' motorhome and car was in front of the cubes. We were able to pack it up and move it in about 20 minutes. I had the cubes ready except for putting the locks on. I took a picture of the cube number of each one plus a picture of the inside of each one.

Old 03-04-2021, 12:45 PM

2,294 posts, read 873,686 times
One important thing to pack and make sure you take is a your sense of humor and good nature. Both are in short supply these days.

Best wishes to you, Mrs. and pooch.

Old 03-05-2021, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
One important thing to pack and make sure you take is a your sense of humor and good nature. Both are in short supply these days.

Best wishes to you, Mrs. and pooch.
Believe me we know about moving issues. We use to move about every 1 1/2 years for work. One of the worse moves was from New Orleans to Spring, Tx right after Katrina. Most of our moves were with Uhaul with us doing the loading/unloading and driving. These were the less stressful moves. As we got older we started using movers or pods and that is when the fun started. We learned to take a small TV and a blow up queen size bed with us being we never had any idea when our stuff would get there. One move our stuff got there 3 weeks after we did. Also when we used movers more stuff got damaged.

This move may be one of the less stressful moves. We loaded our stuff and Upack will store it until we get a new home and then deliver it to our door step for us to unload. This time I will have my brother and SIL to help unload being we helped them a few years ago. I had neighbors offer to help load the cubes, but I am very particular about how I wanted it packed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues