U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 01:30 AM

13,048 posts, read 10,494,068 times

Advertisements

I moved cross country with 2 dogs and I second pre-measuring portions into ziploc bags. Especially if you add supplements. TSC has a few natural calming agents you could add if your dog has any anxiety.

I put folded towels and linens in bags and filled in the foot room in the back seat. Then placed a thick blanket over seat and all giving my back seat passenger (dog) a spacious area. I hung clothes in the windows to block sun on him.
Be sure to anticipate a delay in recieving your household goods. Bring a well rounded minimum. Is the apartment furnished? If not, one plate, one fork, etc. for each of you. Even so there are gadgets you may miss, a favorite paring knife, a cheese slicer, cork screw, stuff you regularly use.

To save space I put bottled vitamins into zip locks and labeled them with a sharpie.
I used clothes to cushion the few breakable, stuffed a washcloth in my coffee cup, e.t.c.

I also put jewelry into small food containers so I could ship the jewelry cabinet and keep my jewelry with me.

That's all I can think of. Best wishes!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 06:24 AM

2,142 posts, read 1,034,102 times
Great stuff. We have our “pharmacy” to pack and luckily, it’s mostly vitamins and Tylenol. I like the idea of creating a bed or pad for our dog. The rear seat is a 60/40 split with the larger section behind me. That’ll be his place which will also be more convenient for me wife to access him.

My aunt’s “apartment” is fully functional and furnished. My grandmother live there until she passed and my aunt has rented it out on occasion also. She’s ready for us!

My boxes and dolly all arrive today. I’ll spend the next few weeks weeding and packing while my wife focuses on her job. I want to insure that everything is labeled and the correct room in the new house indicated.

I’m strange. I’ve done a little of bicycle touring and a few kayak trips. I always create a map of where everything goes either on the bike or in the kayak and I kept that map handy. It saves me time when I need something odd. If I can at least map everything out, it help direct the boxes into storage and then into the new house.

Thanks for you input, much appreciated!

Old 03-08-2021, 05:47 PM

9,039 posts, read 14,533,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Smart man.

I have a similar saying for home projects: it’s not really a home project unless you have to make at least two extra trips to the hardware store.
JUST two? lol

Hey, I've been reading the posts on here and one thing I didn't see mentioned, but you probably did it first thing, is getting your mail forwarded. Handy to be able to do it online instead of going to get one of those cards at the Post Office.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
JUST two? lol

Hey, I've been reading the posts on here and one thing I didn't see mentioned, but you probably did it first thing, is getting your mail forwarded. Handy to be able to do it online instead of going to get one of those cards at the Post Office.
Currently, we live literally 100 yards as the crow flies from our PO. It’s a three minute walk but, an unfortunate downside is that we’re the last delivery on the route. We rarely get our mail before 6 pm.

That said, I’m dragging my feet on setting that up until the very last minute. Our builder got our driveway and power easement completed this weekend. Crush and run to follow in the next day or so followed by septic, power and well. Big doings are happening in Oak Bowery! I’m hoping our builder will get our mailbox installed and even if he doesn’t, I’ll reach our to the local USPS and ask if I can use our address anyway. Hopefully, they’ll simply hold our mail and allow me to pick it up every few weeks. The address has already been established by the local EMS entity. That process took less than four hours.

I’m so pleased with our anticipated rural house location. I spoke to a new, local, self-storage business today about a 10x20 unit that we’ll in a few weeks. Before the call was done, I learned she was expecting her second child and she’ll let me know if they run low on inventory on the size we’ll need. She also knows our builder and neighbor. Small town living...it’s not for everyone....but it suits me.

Old 03-12-2021, 12:39 PM

1,584 posts, read 568,560 times
I think it's a good idea to wait until you're absolutely ready to make the move to have your mail forwarded/changed. For us, we had to re-schedule our trip at the last minute because of some Covid restrictions along our route so we had to contact the Post Office and let them know about the date change. Not a big deal but just another thing we had to add to the list.

I had some emails already prepared and waiting in my Drafts folder to send out with our address change. Other places I was able to call ahead of time and give them an effective date for the address change.

As hunterseat said, putting vitamins in ziplock bags is a great idea when traveling. I take several different B vitamins and those bottles are huge! I have a label maker and I went a little nutty making labels for everything but it really did help

Old 03-14-2021, 04:48 AM

3,904 posts, read 1,613,178 times
Get vet records. Microchip dog and put 2 ph #'s for contact info.
Get a harness and collar for your dog. Put ID tags on both with 2 ph numbers...have one # be a landline of a friend or relative in case dog gets loose when traveling in an area you dont get reception. You want to use a leash and harness when taking out, while on the road, in case something startles dog and they slip collar. Its just safer.
Bring a gallon or 2 of water from home for the dog. Some dogs won't drink strange water, or it can give them diarhea. Bring a can of pure canned pumpkin and a can opener. Add a couple of tablespoons to food, and it will prevent diarhea from stress. Put a few large ziplock bags, paper towels, resolveor hot shot carpet cleaner and wet wipes in car, in case of an accident (throw up or poop). You'll be glad you have them if that happens. Or if they get a messy rear end, or walk thru mud.
Be aware that normally calm dogs can stsrtle, jump out of cars on long trips. Use 2 leashes, and don't open car doors until dog is leashed and you securely have leash.
Watch for broken glass in rest stops.

Old 03-14-2021, 01:42 PM

Vet records are in-hand. His collar has our numbers and he was chipped several years ago! I’ve got a couple of one gallon jugs for his water already. I’ll add a can of pumpkin to his food box. Leashes and his harness are ready to go along with his e-collar. Cleaning supplies - thanks for the reminder! Actually, thanks for all of the suggestions!

Old 03-14-2021, 04:19 PM

17,533 posts, read 3,071,553 times
Paper map, first aid kit, manual list of phone number, knive/flashlight/bourbon! Did you get cuttings/chunks from favorite plants?

Old 03-14-2021, 04:34 PM

Lol Have you read a Tom Clancy book recently? The guy who writes them now is an acquaintance on mine, Marc Cameron. A few years ago, on another site, Marc offered a knife as a random prize to anyone who posted a photo showing that they were reading his first published book, number one in his Jericho Quinn series. Great books by the way.

I won the drawing and in the process of talking to Marc, I mentioned something my dad said to me about carrying a knife. Marc liked what he said so much that he asked me if he could use that saying in a future book. I said yes of course and he worked it into his third JQ book!

Needless to say, if I’m wearing pants, I’ve got a knife on me. Lol

Paper maps? Who the heck uses paper maps? Well, me. There’s an large book of maps in the truck already. That said, from my house to I-10 is two turns. I-10 branches off to I-20 in west Texas and then, there’s only three turns to my aunt’s. I’ll still carry it so my wife can figure out our stop for the night.

First aid kid. Check. Already/always in the truck.

Cuttings? Not much in the desert that I want in the south but, I’ll make sure I ask my wife. She might want a cutting from a plant that her mother planted here some 18 years ago!

Old 03-22-2021, 09:27 AM

If all goes according to plan, we load in one week. Yeah, sorry if you’re tired of hearing about it but I’m excited. Today’s objective is to fully pack the second bedroom. It’s about 90% packed already but I’ll empty it today except for the mattress which will be donated. Tomorrow: “most” of the kitchen. It’s about 80% packed. We’ll donate plates and such but we’re using these until next Monday. I’ll pack up all the small appliances and what not to essentially wrap it up. Haven’t planned any further than that. Maybe I’ll pack my side of the closet after checking the sizes. I’m down to 195 so many of my old clothes are too large. Those will be donated.

Tick tock baby! Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues