U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 02:58 PM

1,583 posts, read 568,560 times

Advertisements

I'm certainly not tired of hearing about your adventure - please keep us posted! Wishing you, Mrs K7 and Parker a safe and happy journey to your new home
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 09:27 PM

2,142 posts, read 1,034,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I'm certainly not tired of hearing about your adventure - please keep us posted! Wishing you, Mrs K7 and Parker a safe and happy journey to your new home
Thank you my friend. I appreciate the kind words! The system won’t allow me to rep you again unfortunately.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:12 PM

Our UPack trailer, provided by Old Dominion, arrived today. I may have missed it but I was pleasantly surprised to see that they included a hand cart and three straps in addition to the ramp and the bulkhead. They delivered it within the time slot given to me. Everyone at UPack & OD have been simply great to work with.

The trailer has interesting overhead racks that can be lowered. They didn’t include the rod to release them but the driver said it could be done....just be careful. I’m not sure we’ll attempt to use them although, they would be nice for my kayak if I decide not to trailer it.

I texted the movers to update them and they responded that they’ll see me on Monday morning.

I’ve asked UPack/OD to pick up the trailer at 3 pm on Monday. If all goes well, it shouldn’t take more than two hours to shift everything from the garage to the trailer. I actually think we have way less than I thought we had. I just don’t see using 20 ft in the trailer. But, better to have it and not need it than......

We have two guys for three hours starting at 8:30 so I’m very comfortable with a 3 pm pickup. Having an extra handcart will help. My daughter gets off work at 2:30 so we won’t leave until we see her and the trailer is picked up. My daughter will get all of our freezer/refrig leftovers.

We’ll shoot for New Mexico on Monday night at 264 miles. The next two days will be about 600 miles each making the last day at 200 miles a walk in the park. We’ll stay in a very nice hotel the last night as a “wife bribe” and one of us is already planning to use the spa facilities. Lol

We’re going to meet friends for pizza tonight. Tomorrow, I’ll have a late breakfast with my bike club friends after their morning ride and my wife has a massage scheduled in the late afternoon. One of us will keep packing or organizing while the other is briefly out. If we get a lot accomplished, I may take a break and drive her to her massage. TBD.

The area where we’ll live for the next 6 months was hit by the tornadoes yesterday. Luckily, my aunt’s house wasn’t damaged but my childhood home and our neighbor’s home across the highway were damaged or destroyed. At least I’ll be able to help out old friends once we’re there. This same town was destroyed by another tornado in 1973 so some of us have BTDT.

Old 03-26-2021, 05:55 PM

Exciting! Sounds like you have everything under control and planned out perfectly. Getting out on the open road is going to feel so good. I have a feeling that after having Parker around for a few months your aunt might realize she actually does like dogs. It's been known to happen

Best wishes for a safe and enjoyable trip!

Old 03-26-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
Exciting! Sounds like you have everything under control and planned out perfectly. Getting out on the open road is going to feel so good. I have a feeling that after having Parker around for a few months your aunt might realize she actually does like dogs. It's been known to happen

Best wishes for a safe and enjoyable trip!
Oh Lord, don’t jinx me now! I’ll declare victory when we arrive at my aunt’s!

Old 03-26-2021, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Oh Lord, don’t jinx me now! I’ll declare victory when we arrive at my aunt’s!
As they say in the theatre, Break a Leg! That takes away any jinx - it's worked magic for years!

Old 03-28-2021, 10:28 PM

We’re about 95% packed. The Old Dominion trailer via UPack arrived on Friday, moving helpers confirmed for tomorrow morning.

I’m sure I’ll be up early, again, and we’ll try to get the last little bit done. Otherwise, the moving helpers can load what we have and I’ll finish the rest after they’ve left. We have about three hours in between when they finish and the scheduled time for the trailer to be picked up. It’s not a lot of items left, thank goodness. I have plenty of boxes left for the last push and I’ll have a bunch to return.

The mover’s first job is to move our donated stuff outside. 10 min max. Our safe goes on the truck first. Then, everything else can follow.

We said goodbyes to our neighbors. My wife is taking it hard. She’s been a bit obstinate but, her foul mood improved by the end of the day. This is only her second move ever and I still recall how badly the first one went. Thank goodness I was 5,800 miles away.

House sale closes tomorrow but we have two additional days to vacate. I have our cleaners scheduled for Tuesday. We can do better than “broom clean” for next owner.

It’s almost game day! Our first night will be in New Mexico tomorrow night.

Old 03-28-2021, 11:30 PM

2,418 posts, read 1,405,291 times
Most thrift stores/ charities do not (or maybe it's can not) take used mattresses for health code reasons. . Best to find a friend to give it to. You never see used mattresses being sold at thrift stores.

Good luck with your move.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Most thrift stores/ charities do not (or maybe it's can not) take used mattresses for health code reasons. . Best to find a friend to give it to. You never see used mattresses being sold at thrift stores.

Good luck with your move.
Yep. We found that our the hard way. We left it with a neighbor to put out on bulk trash day.

Other than that....

Packing the trailer took just over three hours. We were still boxing stuff when the guys we hired to help load arrived. Lol Old Dominion picked up the trailer at 4:30-ish and we pulled out at 6:30 pm on Monday. We made it 264 miles to Lordsburg NM tired and maybe a little cranky. Got to bed around 1 am. Day 2 shows 615 miles or so to Abilene. I was up at 4:45 today and we left there for Jackson MS, only 585 miles distant, at 6:30 am. The freeway was tough today esp through Dallas/Ft. Worth. Plus, with the weather changes, the headwinds were tough. We had zero issues despite the traffic!

The people at every hotel have been beyond kind. We haven’t unloaded our truck except for the most valuable items. I’m pulling a little trailer with a sea kayak and two bikes. We do bring the bikes in and the kayak has a large lasso cable lock. That’ll keep most people honest. I also put an alarm on the trailer. Tonight, it’s parked in downtown Jackson in a lot between the hotel....and the police station. Lol

We’ll sleep in tomorrow...we only have about a three hour drive to my aunt’s so it’s all good.

On the home front, our plumbing was roughed in and they’ll pour the foundation late this week or Monday. We sold the old house through Opendoor. Fabulous experience. As if we had nothing else to do on Monday, we also signed all of the closing docs around 1 pm and had the cash in our account by 3:30 pm.

Jeebus, I love it when a plan comes together.

Last edited by k7baixo; 03-31-2021 at 07:42 PM..

Old 04-02-2021, 10:05 AM

Our Upack/Old Dominion delivery has been scheduled for next Tuesday between 10 and noon. My builder's son and a buddy of his have been engaged to unload the truck. They asked for $80 a piece for 'all day'. We'll round that up to $100. They're both college students so it'll work out well for them. I remember my college days at Auburn. I was poor, dumb and poor. Even a third of that amount would have helped me tremendously back then so now, I can help someone else out a bit!

I'll leave here at 6:30 on Tuesday and try to visit our home site that morning. TBD depending on when the driver calls me to let me know that he's on his way. My buddy already offered his cabin so I have a place to overnight. I've already got a few small things to accomplish in addition to unloading the truck.

We're at my aunt's house. My wife's (breadwinning) work computer and two screens were put together and everything is working! My wife made a remark about how much she liked my aunt's table that we're using and my aunt gifted it to her. When I was moving some old clothing from the basement to the second floor, my aunt pointed out my grandfather's clothes valet that he had in his room. I remember it from when I was a kid. It's now mine also - she gifted it to me.

I think I can declare victory now although we won't know if our items were damaged any for months. That's ok - there's very, very little that can't be replaced. To organize the move, sell the house, drive 1640 miles and arrive safely is a pretty big deal to me. Thank God all's well that ends well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues