U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 02:43 PM

1,584 posts, read 568,560 times

Advertisements

But you didn't mention the most important part - How is Parker?

Glad to hear all is well. It's a big deal moving the way you did. Hope you enjoyed the sights along the way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 03:08 PM

2,142 posts, read 1,034,102 times
Parker rocked it! He had 2/3 of the backseat in the truck for his trip and my wife was slightly jealous. We really had a good time with him. He went from the Comfort Inn to the Hampton to the Westin. He was a bit disappointed to learn that the progression in hotels ended when we arrived at my aunt’s house. Lol

The best part was when we hit heavy traffic and I pulled up beside a truck trailer filled with mooing cows. He went from sound asleep to sitting up, ears on alert when he heard the cows. It was funny.

Then, I found some chairs that matched his color. He wanted them but Dad balked at the price tag.

Old 04-02-2021, 03:18 PM

1,584 posts, read 568,560 times
Wow! What a handsome boy and great picture too. The colors are amazing : )

Old 04-07-2021, 07:09 PM

Old Dominion lost points yesterday. They were scheduled to meet me between 10 and noon but didn’t arrive until 3 pm. By then, I had lost my two helpers. We were going to meet at 8 this morning but one of them had a lab at 10. “OK, get here when you can.”

I got about half the truck unloaded when my wife asked me to get to my aunt’s ASAP. Our church is feeding volunteers who are helping with the tornado cleanup and my wife knew she was going to work late. @#$%$ I loaded everything into our storage space and hit the road. 150 miles.

On the way home, I moved the trailer pickup to 4 pm tomorrow. My helpers are available until 3 pm so I’ll return to the scene of the crime at 9. I’ll leave here at 6 so I can make one stop on the way. It shouldn’t take us more than two hours at this point to finish the job. Did I mention it’s supposed to rain tomorrow? Thankfully, the storage place has a bunch of empty units. We’ll stage in those to get everything unloaded and properly pack our unit. From what I’ve seen, everything traveled well.

Oh yes, we fed about 20 volunteers at my “home” church tonight. I washed dishes for an hour. Lol Dinner was great, my wife made four large lasagnas and my aunt made pecan pies. We cleaned everything also. I’ll sleep great tonight.

Old 04-10-2021, 03:35 PM

Mission completed, declaring victory. The boys showed up around 10 am yesterday after I returned to the storage unit. I got an hour jump on them. I showed them that at least one 62 year old could work as hard as they can! Lol The only tricky part was getting our safe off the truck. It probably weighs at least 500 lbs but we managed, ramp and all. We got everything else into the storage within two hours. I made a quick stop at the house site, had a great conversation with the builder and then, left for my aunt’s.

Everything traveled well. I brought about 8 boxes to my aunt’s and we unpacked them this morning. Nothing broken and my wife had no complaints about how the items were packed. Today was our first peaceful day in a month. We did a little grocery shopping and we’ll prepare dinner for my aunt tonight.

I can’t help but feel so grateful that everything went so smoothly! Now I get to feel a bit retired for a few months while the house continues construction!

Old 04-10-2021, 08:17 PM

32,870 posts, read 51,900,409 times
Your dog’s medical Re rods
Especially vaxs might be very important to have hard copies

Old Today, 12:09 PM

What did I forget Part II

It seems that living with an 81 year old aunt isn’t really feasible. Or, perhaps I should have listened to my inner voice which was telling me all along, “Don’t do it.”

I love my aunt. She’s the only one left that’s alive and not severely impacted by dementia but, all the signs are there that it’s coming sooner rather than later. She tends to blow up at the smallest transgression. Rather than walk on eggshells for the next few months, we elected to get an apartment closer to our build.

If you haven’t attempted to rent a small apartment recently on short notice, I found it to be extremely difficult. We finally found a place and the internet company, which has an exclusive deal with the complex, told us they couldn’t service our address. It took several days to straighten that out. Pro tip: if you’re updating your billing system, please insure you import the full address as not to leave “ent” off of “Crescent”. Lol

I had to rent a small trailer to move our items. Now that I think about it, we started with an initial truck load and then I brought move items when I unloaded and stored our other stuff. I did take a load over to the new place but, we acquired a large table that my wife will use as her work desk. Rather than go at it like the Beverly Hillbillies, I’ll make it easy on myself and use a trailer.

Loading up this afternoon as soon as my wife finishes her workday. We’ll stay at a friend’s cabin tonight which is 23 miles from the apartment. We arrive at the apartment in the morning, unload our stuff, get the internet installed and, use the trailer to get a few items out of storage....like a bed and a bit of furniture.

This will put us about 20 miles from the house which should be dried in this week. The painters will hit the outside trim area, the roof goes on and then the masons can add the brick. Meeting with the cabinet guy on Saturday. Nice progress and it’ll be great being so close! My inner voice said I should have done this from the start but I thought spending time with my aunt would be better. Oh well, we tried so hard.

The adventure continues.... we’re neither bowed nor broken. My offer still stands to my aunt - our house is open to her once she can no longer live alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues