U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 09:34 PM

1,991 posts, read 924,864 times

Advertisements

Ok. Long story short, I retired, my wife got a WFH job so we’re ready to relocate. New house is in-progress but my wife doesn’t want me to spend another summer here. Plus, I need to be closer to the new house as it’s being built. The foundation will be started later this week.

We’ll live with my aunt, who is two hours from our new home, for a few months. MrsK7 is happy with that although my aunt doesn’t really like dogs and we have a vizsla. Vizslas are called “velcro dogs” for a reason. We’ll have to figure that out. He’ll be stuck downstairs in a little apartment there.

U-Pack is scheduled to drop a trailer here on the 26th. Moving supplies will arrive here in a few days. I went with UHaul since they’ll buy back what we don’t use. I’ve got a dolly arriving tomorrow. Too old to be carrying boxes.

Since my wife works so, so hard, I’ll start packing this weekend. She’ll supervise. Lol I can get a lot accomplished by the weekend of the 26th.

We’re taking some furniture but we’re leaving a lot behind. I’ve got a charity coming the afternoon of the 29th to pick up items we won’t move. I’ve got two movers coming that morning to load the UPack trailer. I plan to have the majority of items in the garage. They’ll need to move my safe first. I’ll empty it and load it as soon as it’s on the truck. We’ll carry certain items...mainly passports. I’m comfortable with the rest of the contents going in the safe. I need to call UPack and have them come on the afternoon of 30th to get the trailer. We can hit the road on the 31st.

Closing on this house is under discussion. I’m hoping we can close a little early and rent it back. I’ll have that nailed down this week. We’re awaiting a revised contract. Houses here are in short, short demand so we have more flexibility than usual. Utilities will be addressed after that’s nailed down.

Traded my car for a new truck last week. It’ll a SuperCrew so, four full doors. I’ve already added a tonneau cover, side steps, floor mats and a bed mat. It’ll handle what we need to carry with us. I need to test my little trailer and insure the lights work. I’ll put my kayak on it for the trip. Or, we may elect to put it in the trailer. My little trailer will fit also. It stands up nicely and will fit in the UPack trailer just fine... at a cost of course.

We sold my wife’s car on Monday. We’ll go with one car for awhile. Her’s was eight years old and it went to a good home. I’ve sold several cars since 2000. All went to the first person who looked at each of them. We take great care and price them fairly.

Medical records - need to call our docs. I suspect that’s all electronic these days. TBD. Meds will go with us. My wife’s WFH computer setup goes too. Dog, dog supplies, personal clothing, personal electronics...with us.

Route is mapped. I really don’t need a map. I-10 to I-20 to the little road home. Hotels reservations will be made as we travel. I have a good idea of overnight stops but I don’t want to lock myself in.

So, what did I forget to mention or plan? Any suggestions, advice or thoughts are appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 06:29 AM

17,264 posts, read 2,549,373 times
Double check on the cost of medical records being released to patients. Some organizations will charge dearly but that is in the small print.
Have a safe trip!

Old 03-03-2021, 06:48 AM

1,191 posts, read 407,557 times
My biggest worry on our 2,000 mile cross country move with our three dogs was one of the dogs getting scared and running into traffic during a bathroom stop. We had each of them in a harness and a collar with a two clip connector to their leashes. Our vet also prescribed a mild sedative for them for the car trip. They did amazingly well driving our five day trip.

The second biggest worry was having stuff stolen from our car on our overnight stays. We had things like passports, important files and meds in a Tupperware container which we brought into the hotel every night. I also wore an Orvis travel vest with multiple zippered pockets. I put cash and credit cards in those zippered pockets (not in my purse.)

The trip went very well. We were stopped by an officer during our drive through Arkansas and he was very kind to us. We were respectful to him and he was helpful to us with information for our drive through his state. Arkansas is a very beautiful state.

Regarding medical records, the above poster is correct. There might be a charge involved in getting medical records if you want actual hard copies but most doctors have "patient portals" now so you can easily access your info.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Double check on the cost of medical records being released to patients. Some organizations will charge dearly but that is in the small print.
Have a safe trip!
Thank you! I didn’t think about that but, med services looking for a small recenue stream? Makes $en$e. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
My biggest worry on our 2,000 mile cross country move with our three dogs was one of the dogs getting scared and running into traffic during a bathroom stop. We had each of them in a harness and a collar with a two clip connector to their leashes. Our vet also prescribed a mild sedative for them for the car trip. They did amazingly well driving our five day trip.

The second biggest worry was having stuff stolen from our car on our overnight stays. We had things like passports, important files and meds in a Tupperware container which we brought into the hotel every night. I also wore an Orvis travel vest with multiple zippered pockets. I put cash and credit cards in those zippered pockets (not in my purse.)

The trip went very well. We were stopped by an officer during our drive through Arkansas and he was very kind to us. We were respectful to him and he was helpful to us with information for our drive through his state. Arkansas is a very beautiful state.

Regarding medical records, the above poster is correct. There might be a charge involved in getting medical records if you want actual hard copies but most doctors have "patient portals" now so you can easily access your info.
Parker is chipped and his collar has my phone number on it. He’s a great traveler and his recall is excellent. Typically, before he gets out, his e-collar goes on and he’s on the leash. Once I’m in a suitable location, he goes off leash.

All I ever have to say is “back” and he reverses direction. We have a half-mile walk to a small park and he goes off-leash the entire way! Even with birds and rabbits, he won’t cross the street! If we meet someone or I see a car coming, he gets called back to me where he “sits”. If he doesn’t respond, an audible beep reminds him of the next move.

Still, to your point, we’ll be extremely cautious!

Re valuables: most tonneau covers leak a little. Everything in the back will be in suitcases or plastic containers. No cardboard boxes. The most valuable/important items will go in the cab which has more storage than the typical NYC apartment.

Several years ago, I purposely visited Arkansas on the way to Ragbrai/Iowa. I spent the day in the Bella Vista area. It’s beautiful but, I decided a dedicated retirement community wasn’t suitable for us. Still, I’ve been happy everywhere I’ve ever lived or worked and we would have been fine there.

Instead, we found 10 acres that’s a mile or so from friends that my wife loves. I went to school there but that literally has nothing to do with the decision. It’s a nice area that makes the “best places to retire” lists occasionally.

We’re 15 miles outside of town and already have a good relationship with the nearest neighbor. I know a half dozen people in the area also. There’s a major university there also but we’ll avoid that except for certain events. My brother is 122 miles in one direction and my sister is 130 miles in another direction. Close enough to visit, far away enough to avoid.

This has been at least 4 years in the making so, hopefully, the number of surprises will be tapped down. If there are unavoidable surprises, we’ll deal with them. It seems that when building a home, surprises are unavoidable but, I’m excited for the next phase. My wife, not so much esp with a new job but, she’s a trooper.

I already learned not to have my buddy from there on the speaker phone. Last Saturday, He said something about the red dirt and dogs. The next thing I knew is she took out the sink and cabinets in the laundry room and substituted a small half shower for Parker. The costs were a ....wait for it..... a wash.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:00 AM

Sounds like Parker is a winner Managing three dogs was a challenge for us with one a diabetic (two insulin shots a day and the insulin needed to always be refrigerated) but they did well. Our trip was from the southwest to the southeast last May and with tight Covid restrictions in place in some states we had to reschedule our trip so that all the states we were going through were open to travelers.

The take away from our travels was how wonderful the people we met along the way were. Kindness abounded even under a lot of unknowns at the time. What a gorgeous country we have and seeing it from a car instead of flying was a real treat. Best of luck to you and yours. Enjoy the trip!

Old 03-03-2021, 09:46 AM

Wow! What a positive post. I’m so glad that it was a great experience for you guys! In some ways, the virus has maybe helped some of us to appreciate those interactions that we took for granted previously. Even now, when I’m tested by stupidity, I do my best to keep my “inner K7” tapped down.

I take B-12 shots and when I stopped by CVS to pick up my meds, their new policy said I had to have a script for the hypodermics. That’s never been required here. Common sense always ruled. Not now. Needless to say I was not happy but, I didn’t lose my cool. Counter guy is just following their (silly) rules, not his fault.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:30 PM

Thank you for your kind words : ) Everyone reacts differently in times of stress and I've noticed people being incredibly understanding and helpful during these restrictions. It sounds like you are too (CVS) and I really hope we'll all come through this with a better tolerance for the bumps along the road.

Btw, Walmart has been the best place for us to get diabetic supplies - far less expensive than our veterinarian for sure!

ETA: This might not be a big issue for you but for us, with three dogs, I had their meals measured out into individual plastic bags so that when we got to each destination, or it was time to eat while on the road, all I had to do was grab the plastic bags instead of bringing in the bags/cans of food. We stayed at Residence Inns along the way because they're very dog friendly. No one blinked at eye at three dogs!

Last edited by rfomd129; 03-03-2021 at 12:38 PM..

Old 03-03-2021, 12:49 PM

6,378 posts, read 10,271,156 times
Be sure to check the back of the bathroom door. I once left a favorite robe behind, favorite because wife made it for me. ( new owner was nice enough to mail it to me.)

Also left a kitchen clock on the wall another time, (pun there somewhere !) And a nice beachwear set in a built-in drawer.

So look in every room at all the walls etc. Pull out any drawers and open cabinets. You'll find something !

Old 03-03-2021, 01:48 PM

8,876 posts, read 14,310,176 times
My dad always said that, no matter if you're going on vacation or moving, no trip is complete unless you forget something. lol

Old 03-03-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My dad always said that, no matter if you're going on vacation or moving, no trip is complete unless you forget something. lol
Smart man.

I have a similar saying for home projects: it’s not really a home project unless you have to make at least two extra trips to the hardware store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues