U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2021, 06:48 PM

1,599 posts, read 930,515 times

Advertisements

Everyone,

I'm looking for reliable professional movers to move a house's worth of stuff from Houston, Texas to Denver, Colorado. Can someone recommend a good professional company? Will need help with packing, moving and unpacking too. Furniture wise we have 3 beds, 2 couches and maybe twenty boxes. One truck ought to do it. How much do you think this should cost?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2021, 05:05 AM

31,507 posts, read 70,452,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I'm looking for reliable professional movers to move a house's worth of stuff from Houston
How many bonded insured moving companies do you have THERE to choose among?
Quote:
How much do you think this should cost?
More than you'll want to pay.

Old 03-08-2021, 10:29 AM

6,352 posts, read 10,221,274 times
You could search these sites for your location

https://www.movebuddha.com/

https://www.movingscam.com/full-serv...ving-companies

Old 03-09-2021, 03:00 PM

1,842 posts, read 561,589 times
I can't recommend a mover until my move is performed next month, but I have gone with International Van Lines for their reputation, low quote, and customer service during the quote process. My biggest reason for signing wth IVL is that they don't use local movers, but use their own (here in Sacramento, CA). The importance of this is I can rely on their reputation. All of the other companies used local movers, and I just couldn't be sure that the locals were up to par of the national parent companies.

My move before this was with Mayflower, and they were fantastic.

I got quotes this time from International Van Lines, American Van Lines, North American, and Allied Van Lines. I went with IVL.

My move should be complete by April 20th. If you haven't signed with a mover by then, I will be able to let you know how everything went with International Van Lines. If you still need a mover after April 20 and I have not remembered this thread, you can always send a message and ask if I would still recommend them.

Good luck. It is a bit of a crap shoot.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:06 PM

1,599 posts, read 930,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I can't recommend a mover until my move is performed next month, but I have gone with International Van Lines for their reputation, low quote, and customer service during the quote process. My biggest reason for signing wth IVL is that they don't use local movers, but use their own (here in Sacramento, CA). The importance of this is I can rely on their reputation. All of the other companies used local movers, and I just couldn't be sure that the locals were up to par of the national parent companies.

My move before this was with Mayflower, and they were fantastic.

I got quotes this time from International Van Lines, American Van Lines, North American, and Allied Van Lines. I went with IVL.

My move should be complete by April 20th. If you haven't signed with a mover by then, I will be able to let you know how everything went with International Van Lines. If you still need a mover after April 20 and I have not remembered this thread, you can always send a message and ask if I would still recommend them.

Good luck. It is a bit of a crap shoot.
Thanks.
I'm leaning towards Mayflower at the moment but have yet to get a quote from American Van and a couple of locals. Seems like the national chains all have bigger delivery windows (3-5 days) even with their direct shipping option while the local movers have tighter 2-3 day windows. I'd prefer not to wait a week for the mattress to arrive so that's definitely an important factor.

Old 03-10-2021, 03:48 PM

13,329 posts, read 6,792,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Thanks.
I'm leaning towards Mayflower at the moment but have yet to get a quote from American Van and a couple of locals. Seems like the national chains all have bigger delivery windows (3-5 days) even with their direct shipping option while the local movers have tighter 2-3 day windows. I'd prefer not to wait a week for the mattress to arrive so that's definitely an important factor.
There's always an inflatable.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:28 AM

17,777 posts, read 23,353,713 times
3-5 days?? Are you doing a shared truck? I can tell you this: When I moved CO to Fl it took 3.5 WEEKS to get my stuff.

That's not a lot of stuff. Why can't you Uhaul or POD it???

Old 03-12-2021, 06:56 AM

13,792 posts, read 6,881,660 times
My son moved from Florida to Colorado two weeks ago today and he still doesn't have his furniture! Most of these moving companies wait until they have a full truck going to your particular location and then they start the move. When we moved from NY to FL we had the same issue. We went weeks without our furniture and we had a two month old baby.

Make sure your movers aren't storing your stuff somewhere until they have a full load and get in writing when they will deliver your stuff.

Old 03-14-2021, 04:50 AM

3,676 posts, read 1,492,670 times
Mayflower packed and moved my mom from nh to tx and did a great job. Nothing broken, refunded 800.00 because truck weighed less than expected, arrived a couple days early.

Old Today, 02:58 PM

262 posts, read 100,866 times
A professional moving company hired to move us charged my husband's firm over $24,000 and that didn't include the two U-haul trailers I rented or the items I put in my Excursion on multiple trips. The company/truck is one thing...the people they hire locally to pack you up or unload you is another. Loading and packing wasn't bad with our experience .....but the crew hired to unload was TERRIBLE. We finally told them to put it all on the driveway and we would finish the job ourselves.

Out of three long distances moves (11, 18 and 16 hour moves) we moved ourselves twice and always the same lbs. We don't get rid of anything prior to a move. We take all our possessions with us....regardless of size and weight. When we did it ourselves, it was always SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. First move we used rented Ryder trucks and U-haul. For our last move we purchased a TALL AND LONG V-nosed cargo trailer for the good stuff (two trips ourselves) and had an ABF trailer delivered for the other which we loaded and unloaded ourselves. STILL way, way cheaper than a professional move. Some people have complained about ABF, but I thinks that due to poor packing by the individual homeowner or if they hired someone to pack it up. We found ABF to be excellent in transporting our trailer load. I imagine prices have risen in the last 5 years though.

It takes effort, work and being physically fit to do a move though. It's hard work. The trade off is our possessions are not damaged in anyway and we can properly pack things in the right boxes and also pack and secure any trailers properly.

Last edited by CentralUSHomeowner; Today at 03:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues