U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 11:53 PM

1,422 posts, read 519,458 times

Advertisements

We drove the largest U-Haul truck, 26’, towing a vehicle on a car trailer, from the most southern part of California to the most northern part of Washington. Much of the drive was on interstates, but a lot was on narrow, winding mountain & rural roads.

We did this in the early fall & avoided any bad weather that way. Personally, I wouldn’t do it in snow & ice.

The most frightening part was driving through Los Angeles, but that was because of the craziness of the other drivers. We did this part in the middle of the night, which I recommend to anyone moving & having to drive through a major metro.

We only chose U-Haul because, at the time they were the only company that had a drop-off in the area we moved to. I would have preferred Penske, but, in the end, the U-Haul truck and trailer were fine, OK to drive & no mechanical issues.

Last edited by happygrrrl; Yesterday at 12:14 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:11 AM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
102 posts, read 23,409 times
I rented a 12' trailer to move across the country, costed under 500 bucks. Unlimited miles and one-way drop off. It took about a week to load, drive, unload.

Old Yesterday, 01:42 AM

891 posts, read 849,601 times
My years of driving a 27' Uhaul every 1 1/2 years prepared me for driving a 40' diesel pusher motorhome. You just need to get adjusted for driving a Uhaul, but hopefully you will not get a clunky. I have had my share of bad Uhaul trucks.

Old Yesterday, 01:53 AM

98 posts, read 59,025 times
There is no way in hell I would drive a u-haul, even short distance. It would be too hard for me to account for the wider space behind the cab, also, not being able to use a rear-view mirror would make things even worse. It's also unbelievably expensive.

Old Yesterday, 04:43 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,391,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
If you do a search on this topic you will find quite a few posts where people have contributed a lot of great advice.

I have done coast to coast a few times helping friends and honestly the most intimidating was pulling a car trailer with a 23 foot UHaul.

I learned very quickly that the huge truck stops and hotels with big parking lots were your best friends. I was always worried I would pull into somewhere where I could not back out and get trapped. Other than that if you take your time and pre plan it is a piece of cake!

Good luck!
We drove a 17 foot Penske with a car trailer for a 76 Mini that just barely fit the width. We left with snow in NY and drove to SWFL. Besides not being unable to back up well with the trailer, what surprised me the most was the comfort of the seats and the ride. We took turns driving and were 64 years old at the time. We both enjoy driving and routinely did thirteen hour road trips to see family for 30+ years. It was a fun and interesting trip for us, but once was enough.

Last edited by jean_ji; Yesterday at 04:54 AM..

Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM

3,048 posts, read 2,941,122 times
Not scared at all. Drove a 20' from SC to SD with a car towed behind.

Got in one tight spot at a gas station in KY where I couldn't back up and it was too busy to make a wide turn to go forward. A little embarrassed, I went in and let the cashier know. She chuckled and said it had happened before. 15 minute wait and things cleared in front of me.

That was my first experience with a long vehicle. Oddly, a few years later I needed to drive a "semi" with a trailer load of hay. Have my cdl now, although driving is not my primary job.

Who knows if that first trip gave me the confidence to go on.

Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM

16,152 posts, read 6,749,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
So is it common for people to drive a u-haul when they move several states away instead of having stuff shipped? I mean, most of the time when people drive large vehicles they generally have to have a CDL but anybody can drive a uhaul and it is not the easiest thing to drive, IMO. I had a bad experience driving one across town one time so i can't even imagine trying to do a long distance move with one, plus it is super expensive.

I drove a 24 footer about 1000 miles for a move once. A long distance move may well be 99% interstate and involve less local roads and stop signs and traffic lights than going across town. Distance isn't the relevant factor for me. I'd be more concerned with the weather. It may not be cheap but it's a fraction of the what professional movers will cost.

Old Yesterday, 09:24 AM

17,549 posts, read 9,434,576 times
Well I drove a 15 foot UHaul with a car being towed on the back all the way from California to Illinois when I was around 25. I had my cat and dog with me as well. Getting through the mountains was rough, especially going down with all that weight. Getting through the towns to my final destination was tricky as well. But I made it fine.

I remember driving through Nevada and seeing a rifle in the back window of a pick up. These guys turned around and stared at this skinny young girl driving such a set up with a Doberman in the bucket seat and a cat on her shoulders. I guess that would not be something you would see in the sticks every day.

I was driving a long bus and a mini bus when I was 21 and still have a class C license to this day. I also drove a UHaul from Wisconsin to Illinois a few years back. My husband just had to have this ginormous dining room set he grew up with.

They're not hard to drive with a little practice.

Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM

3,492 posts, read 2,556,497 times
It's not an enjoyable experience and one I wouldn't wish to repeat. I did it several times when I was younger. Now, I would pay to have the bulk of our stuff moved.

Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM

70,451 posts, read 5,613,189 times
I couldn't do it, plus I have seen some really scary drivers when I have been behind a U-Haul, waving all over the road.
\When we moved 300 miles, we found a mover who was actually cheaper than hiring a U-Haul & paying per mile fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues