U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 11:07 AM

16,160 posts, read 6,754,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
It's not an enjoyable experience and one I wouldn't wish to repeat. I did it several times when I was younger. Now, I would pay to have the bulk of our stuff moved.

Moving is never enjoyable. And by far the worst part is the packing and unpacking of boxes which a moving service isn't going to be much help with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 11:13 AM

12,370 posts, read 13,781,800 times
I did Florida to MA with a friend back in the early 2000's when I was 19-20 years old. I forget what size truck, but it was one of the larger sizes befoe you started needing a CDL.

Wasn't really that bad. It was 99% highway, and people generally gave you enough space. It was a fun expereince I would do it again

Old 03-16-2021, 11:18 AM

4,865 posts, read 1,896,738 times
Someone mentioned the one key that I learned as a truck driver: it’s going to be a lot more about the route than the vehicle. Take some time to plan out the easiest route in advance, and spend a few minutes each morning revising it, taking into account the day’s weather or new construction.

It can often pay off to add 50 or more miles to a route, if it keeps you on freeways or avoids potential for backups.

Also, just be zen. People react differently around big rigs, and I don’t think box vans - even consumer ones like Penske or U-Haul - are much different. Folks kinda short circuit and do irrational things they don’t do around other cars, so it can be shockingly unpredictable how folks will drive in your presence. It’s really dangerous.

Old 03-16-2021, 12:06 PM

13,597 posts, read 12,353,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
So is it common for people to drive a u-haul when they move several states away instead of having stuff shipped? I mean, most of the time when people drive large vehicles they generally have to have a CDL but anybody can drive a uhaul and it is not the easiest thing to drive, IMO. I had a bad experience driving one across town one time so i can't even imagine trying to do a long distance move with one, plus it is super expensive.
A CDL is for things like tractor trailers and city/school buses. Not moving trucks which are significantly smaller. Many people have experience driving a variety of vehicles. My husband drove the largest truck Penske rents without a CDL from NY to SC and back without any troubles. He knows the vehicle height and how to read signs about height restrictions. It wasn't expensive at all. Hiring movers to move your belongings is very expensive. It can easily cost 10-20 THOUSAND dollars to move your belongings when using a moving company. What was your bad experience?

I towed a trailer with my SUV. All by myself. I survived. I have done it numerous times. Gone several states away - over 8 hour drives. No biggie. Just have to give yourself extra room and brake earlier than usually. Have to stay focused and not wiggle too or else you'll end up in trouble. Stick to a lane. Don't make a lot of lane changes. Don't be pokey sitting in the middle or left lane.

Old 03-16-2021, 12:19 PM

10,933 posts, read 12,430,274 times
I drove a bronco, towing a trailer w/ my husband's car on it behind me. But, with 3 cats, 1 dog and 2 lop ears in cages with me. If I could do it anyone can. It was scary at first. I'm a small person, but determined, so I conquered my fears. After 50 miles, I got the hang out of it. I did go slower than normal, but that was okay for me. My husband followed me driving the big U Haul. this was cross country.

I put on classical music low to keep myself and the pets calm. We only drove to 5 o'clock, then getting the pets settled in hotel rooms and so that we could chill.

Old 03-16-2021, 01:46 PM

9 posts, read 1,846 times
Quote:
So is it common for people to drive a u-haul when they move several states away instead of having stuff shipped? I mean, most of the time when people drive large vehicles they generally have to have a CDL but anybody can drive a uhaul and it is not the easiest thing to drive, IMO. I had a bad experience driving one across town one time so i can't even imagine trying to do a long distance move with one, plus it is super expensive.
Shipping would be WAY more expensive if you have furniture. I found the Uhaul was significantly less than getting a POD

Old 03-16-2021, 01:49 PM

10,534 posts, read 6,442,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Someone mentioned the one key that I learned as a truck driver: it’s going to be a lot more about the route than the vehicle. Take some time to plan out the easiest route in advance, and spend a few minutes each morning revising it, taking into account the day’s weather or new construction.
Planning is fantastic, but the most awkward moments are hotel parking lots, entrances or exits to gas stations and the like... small suburban details that won't appear on a map, unless zoomed-in to 50' granularity. Outside of the densest heart of the biggest cities, the surface-streets are generally sufficiently wide, and there are ample turn-lanes. The problem isn't the grid of city-streets, but on private property, like parking lots, with their curbs and lamp-posts and so on. On our cross-country drive, the most difficulty was in pulling the rig abreast of gas station pumps. It's a gas (not diesel) engine, so we couldn't go to the big-rig aisle at the Flying-J or the Loves or whatever... we were lined up with passenger cars. But the turning-radii simply aren't there.

Some of the most troublesome traffic wasn't darting passenger-cars trying to show how much faster they were, than our rig... instead it was 18-wheelers. Those guys seem to resent a half-sized interloper in their midst. They, and not kids in Camaros or jacked-up F150s, were the most discourteous, the most impatient and the most likely to cut us off. They were the most likely to tailgate on highways and the least likely to signal when making a lane change. In a car, I could compensate for their behavior and react quickly. In a Penske truck with a trailer, I'm a sitting-duck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
A CDL is for things like tractor trailers and city/school buses. Not moving trucks which are significantly smaller. Many people have experience driving a variety of vehicles. My husband drove the largest truck Penske rents without a CDL from NY to SC and back without any troubles. He knows the vehicle height and how to read signs about height restrictions.
Much depends on one's experience. To me, my girlfriend's Camry is a big, hulking vehicle. No, really. I'm used to driving 2-seater sports cars... An SUV or a half-ton pickup truck is already an awkward experience. Even if completely unladen and empty, it lacks the acceleration, agility and nimbleness to which I'm used. The driving-strategy becomes completely different. One's very persona has to change.

Old 03-16-2021, 01:57 PM

1,952 posts, read 901,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I drove a bronco, towing a trailer w/ my husband's car on it behind me. But, with 3 cats, 1 dog and 2 lop ears in cages with me. If I could do it anyone can. It was scary at first. I'm a small person, but determined, so I conquered my fears. After 50 miles, I got the hang out of it. I did go slower than normal, but that was okay for me. My husband followed me driving the big U Haul. this was cross country.

I put on classical music low to keep myself and the pets calm. We only drove to 5 o'clock, then getting the pets settled in hotel rooms and so that we could chill.
Great job! I wanted to rent a UHaul and pull our car on a trailer but I was outvoted by the wife with her veto powers. Lol Because she works, I also wanted her to fly over and save the wear-and-tear of an 1800 mile drive. No go on that also.

UPack ended up being less expensive that a UHaul/trailer combo but, with the expensive our drive over in our truck, the costs will be about the same at the end of the day. My wife will ride with me and it’ll be her first long distance drive in the US. The scenery isn’t entirely different from AZ to central TX but, hopefully, she’ll enjoy the ride. Funny thing is, she’s pushing to leave the same day the movers pack our UPack trailer. I prefer to wait until the next day. Guess when we’ll leave? ASAP so she can rest on the other end before she starts work again. I get that!

Old 03-16-2021, 02:14 PM

13,292 posts, read 6,766,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii900 View Post
There is no way in hell I would drive a u-haul, even short distance. It would be too hard for me to account for the wider space behind the cab, also, not being able to use a rear-view mirror would make things even worse. It's also unbelievably expensive.
Not compared to hiring a moving company! Why do you think people continue to rent U Hauls to move themselves?

Old 03-16-2021, 06:43 PM

4,334 posts, read 3,307,756 times
Quote:
Are you trying to convince us or yourself? It looks like you've already got a point of view on the subject and it would be fairly pointless to try to convince you otherwise. Everyone's different. I wouldn't have a problem driving a U-Haul long-distance. It might be a lot more tiresome than driving a regular car, but it's doable. My wife, on the other hand, wouldn't be comfortable driving even a medium-sized SUV for longer than a couple of hours at a time.

You don't need a CDL below a certain weight, U-Haul or not. It's not like U-Haul has some kind of magical exemption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues