U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 07:07 PM

3,540 posts, read 1,270,642 times

Advertisements

Get this....My husband drove a ginormouse Penske moving truck, with a car carrier on it (the Isuzu pick up on it) with four dogs in the truck.....all the way from CA to VT. And for some unknown reason he went through Colorado!! When i called him along his journey, he said he couldn't talk because he was going through Loveland Pass. I was like, WHATTTT?????
When he finally got here, he had several drinks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 07:32 PM

982 posts, read 1,435,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Are you trying to convince us or yourself? It looks like you've already got a point of view on the subject and it would be fairly pointless to try to convince you otherwise. Everyone's different. I wouldn't have a problem driving a U-Haul long-distance. It might be a lot more tiresome than driving a regular car, but it's doable. My wife, on the other hand, wouldn't be comfortable driving even a medium-sized SUV for longer than a couple of hours at a time.

You don't need a CDL below a certain weight, U-Haul or not. It's not like U-Haul has some kind of magical exemption.
Not trying to convince you one way or the other. I guess I wanted to know what other people’s experiences were

Old 03-16-2021, 07:44 PM

111 posts, read 70,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Not compared to hiring a moving company! Why do you think people continue to rent U Hauls to move themselves?
Not always. I would honestly just get rid of all my furniture + most of my crap and only take what I could fit in my car. Maybe also have a few boxes shipped. For the money I would spend on movers, I could probably afford new (used) furniture a few times over..

Old 03-16-2021, 10:11 PM
DKM

6,397 posts, read 2,334,898 times
If I ever do it again, I'm hiring a dumpster and moving my things to it instead of to the new home (if its far away).

Old 03-17-2021, 03:39 AM

1,487 posts, read 569,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii900 View Post
Not always. I would honestly just get rid of all my furniture + most of my crap and only take what I could fit in my car. Maybe also have a few boxes shipped. For the money I would spend on movers, I could probably afford new (used) furniture a few times over..
Good answer. I lived in my previous house for 21 years & we accumulated a lot of crap. We sold, donated & gave away a lot of stuff, including a piano. Packing everything up is the hardest thing for me, intense labor. We even moved a parrot! The dog was easy!

FWIW, I know someone who had a nationally known mover pack & move her stuff. It was very expensive, some of her things were lost & her fancy washer & dryer looked like they had been stepped on by elephants.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:57 AM

14,083 posts, read 10,021,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
No, I'm not afraid to drive a rental box truck. I kind of learned on the fly when I was in college (I was the assistant equipment manager for the university's marching band, so my first time driving a U-Haul was on a trip from northeastern Ohio to western Michigan) and I've since rented trucks from time to time to pick up furniture from an estate several states away and for local moves. It's really not that expensive to rent a U-Haul--especially when compared to using the services of a professional moving company.

As with any sort of driving, pay attention to the road and other vehicles, use your mirrors, maintain assured clear distance and allow plenty of space for braking, and you'll be fine. Having a trusted sidekick in the passenger seat to use an extra pair of eyes is also helpful.

If you're a nervous Nellie when it comes to driving in general, renting and driving a box truck might not be a good thing for you to do.
This. It is more strategic and you think/look much further up the road. Not difficult though.

Also you just need to accept everyone is going to get in front of you in traffic. You cannot bumper hump the guy in front of you to prevent the [bad words] people in a traffic jam who run up the medians then jump back in ahead of you.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:11 PM

7,801 posts, read 3,027,346 times
My first experience with a Uhaul was a ten hour drive , much of it through the mountains. My biggest worry is we barely made it up Sunwapta Pass. (Banff to Jasper) in 1977

I'd rather dive a large truck through the mountains than trough a large city.

Old 03-17-2021, 02:11 PM

23,130 posts, read 9,228,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
So is it common for people to drive a u-haul when they move several states away instead of having stuff shipped? I mean, most of the time when people drive large vehicles they generally have to have a CDL but anybody can drive a uhaul and it is not the easiest thing to drive, IMO. I had a bad experience driving one across town one time so i can't even imagine trying to do a long distance move with one, plus it is super expensive.
My law school classmate was driving a U-Haul when we were moving our stuff from Boston back to the New York City area. We drove the Merritt Parkway (Connecticut)-Hutchinson River Parkway (New York) combination. The catch is small trucks are allowed on the Merritt but not on the Hutch. I don't recall if we just blew through the border or took side roads. It would not have been a problem if we took I-95, Connecticut Turnpike.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:39 PM

4,563 posts, read 2,857,447 times
I've driven two different trucks on ~1000 mile trips. One was the biggest I could rent from U-Haul, a 26-food diesel. It was an old truck with no cruise control and a very noisy cab. That was a challenging trip.

The other was a 16-foot (Penske?, I believe). It was a breeze to drive in comparison, and I'd do that again anytime. I was not towing anything, though.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:38 PM

6,645 posts, read 3,650,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
So is it common for people to drive a u-haul when they move several states away instead of having stuff shipped? I mean, most of the time when people drive large vehicles they generally have to have a CDL but anybody can drive a uhaul and it is not the easiest thing to drive, IMO. I had a bad experience driving one across town one time so i can't even imagine trying to do a long distance move with one, plus it is super expensive.
Could you describe in more detail that Uhaul vehicle that you drove and what the specific problems you experienced were?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues