U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 07:32 PM

10,812 posts, read 6,636,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii900 View Post
Not always. I would honestly just get rid of all my furniture + most of my crap and only take what I could fit in my car. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
If I ever do it again, I'm hiring a dumpster and moving my things to it instead of to the new home (if its far away).
For furniture, perhaps. But not for books. I had (and still have) well into the 4-digits... mostly technical books and classic literature. They have been collected over 2-3 generations, and the only way that I'd part with them, is that if they get thrown into a bonfire in the public-square, while I get placed in a locked cattle-train heading to the, ahem, resettlement area. So the books traveled in the redoubtable Penske. Books being heavy and numerous, the Penske was heavily laden. Unpacking in a studio-apartment, floor-space is limited... but I'm glad to have taken the books.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 07:37 PM

984 posts, read 1,445,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Could you describe in more detail that Uhaul vehicle that you drove and what the specific problems you experienced were?
I drove the smallest uhaul (I think it’s the 10 ft one that’s for one bedroom apartments). I was driving through a city and was too close to the curb and my side mirrors hit a pole that was on the side walk next to the road

Old 03-17-2021, 10:08 PM

31,458 posts, read 15,795,099 times
U-Haul has this one really really big truck. How it doesn't require a CDL is beyond me. That one? I was nervous the whole time, and really really really careful. In retrospect? I should have gone one size smaller. Ive driven those, and its fine.

Ask them if they would let you take it for a test drive, or if they could drive him around the block so he could check and see if he felt good about driving it, and if not you would just get the next size smaller. I think they would accommodate you. But who knows. Within a couple blocks you would know.

Id feel a lot more confidant now though then I had then.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:12 PM

5,280 posts, read 2,108,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
U-Haul has this one really really big truck. How it doesn't require a CDL is beyond me. That one? I was nervous the whole time, and really really really careful. In retrospect? I should have gone one size smaller. Ive driven those, and its fine.

Ask them if they would let you take it for a test drive, or if they could drive him around the block so he could check and see if he felt good about driving it, and if not you would just get the next size smaller. I think they would accommodate you. But who knows. Within a couple blocks you would know.

Id feel a lot more confidant now though then I had then.
CDL requirements revolve around both weight limits and whether it has air brakes. Anything under that, and you’re thankful they let you drive it.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:39 PM

8,906 posts, read 6,859,983 times
Not at my current age. I did learn to drive a 5 ton truck and trailer when in the military - so would be okay then. Now - no way. lol.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:31 PM

3,060 posts, read 1,399,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am a lot more hesitant in my 60s than when young. My eyes are worse. On-coming lights have a lot more glare at night.
Most likely cataracts. Gotta get them checked out. Getting them fixed made a huge difference for me especially at night.

Old 03-17-2021, 11:44 PM

10,812 posts, read 6,636,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
CDL requirements revolve around both weight limits and whether it has air brakes. Anything under that, and you’re thankful they let you drive it.
The 26' trucks, or at least Penske's, have air brakes. The sticker inside the cargo-area says, if memory serves, "Payload not to exceed 10000 lb". A google search shows that the truck's empty weight is 12,600 lb. This behemoth was the first truck that we rented (asked for a 22', got involuntarily "upgraded" to the 26'). It was abysmally difficult to drive, even in the rural Midwest. We downgraded to the 16' truck.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:06 AM

1,495 posts, read 577,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The 26' trucks, or at least Penske's, have air brakes. The sticker inside the cargo-area says, if memory serves, "Payload not to exceed 10000 lb". A google search shows that the truck's empty weight is 12,600 lb. This behemoth was the first truck that we rented (asked for a 22', got involuntarily "upgraded" to the 26'). It was abysmally difficult to drive, even in the rural Midwest. We downgraded to the 16' truck.

Penske 26' rental moving trucks available to the public do not have air brakes.

Penske does have trucks with air brakes, but they are commercially leased to companies who have drivers with Class A CDLs & endorsements.

A class A CDL requires training in use of airbrakes, plus weight amounts. If someone has a class A CDL, they are licensed to drive any kind of truck, box or tractor trailer.

A class B CDL involves weight, no driving anything with air brakes. School bus drivers are required to have a class B CDL.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:08 AM

11,499 posts, read 10,342,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Penske 26' rental moving trucks available to the public do not have air brakes.

Penske does have trucks with air brakes, but they are commercially leased to companies who have drivers with Class A CDLs & endorsements.

A class A CDL requires training in use of airbrakes, plus weight amounts. If someone has a class A CDL, they are licensed to drive any kind of truck, box or tractor trailer.

A class B CDL involves weight, no driving anything with air brakes. School bus drivers are required to have a class B CDL.
This is correct. I believe the vehicle weight limit for astandard drivers license is 26,000 lbs. That includes the vehicle itself, contents, and anything being towed.

Vehicles with air brakes are not available to the standard driver.

I have driven the 26,000 lb Penske, with car trailer and car on board, several times for moves. Longest trip was coast to coast, including starting in a big city.

As I am not a professional driver, I plotted my route carefully. I planned on driving no more than 400 miles a day, and typically drove less than that. I reserved hotel rooms in advance, and made sure the hotel was adjacent to a major interstate exit. I fueled up at truck stops. I left early in the morning every day, which had several benefits. No traffic on the roads, and it meant I could get to my next hotel early when the parking lot was still empty. This allowed me to pick my parking spots without competition, and chosen in such a way that I would be able to leave without anybody blocking me in.

The actual driving part was the least problematic. Take it slow, let others pass you, leave the same following distance between cars that you would when driving a car, then double that. Consider doubling that again.

If you cannot park close to your hotel, park farther away and walk.

The only trouble I ran into on my cross country trip was my credit card company cut me off abruptly. They saw a series of $150 diesel fuel purchases and thought that was unusual, so shut my card down as a fraud prevention measure. In the middle of Wyoming. With no cell coverage at the gas station on the loneliest stretch of highway in the country. Debit card to the rescue, but it had a cap on fuel purchases of $50 or so. That 1/3 of a tank was enough to get me to civilization, allowing me to call my bank and assure then I had not been abducted by raiders living the Mad Max lifestyle.

Last edited by fishbrains; 03-18-2021 at 07:17 AM..

Old 03-18-2021, 07:20 AM

11,096 posts, read 8,477,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
So is it common for people to drive a u-haul when they move several states away instead of having stuff shipped? I mean, most of the time when people drive large vehicles they generally have to have a CDL but anybody can drive a uhaul and it is not the easiest thing to drive, IMO. I had a bad experience driving one across town one time so i can't even imagine trying to do a long distance move with one, plus it is super expensive.
That's wrong. Anyone can buy a box truck with their regular driver's license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues