U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 12:31 PM

6,738 posts, read 4,333,782 times

Advertisements

The first time my wife and I moved was in Jan 1960. Rented a truck and then the snow started falling. We did get it done, but I didn't need the snow.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 03:57 PM

2,205 posts, read 776,730 times
I would prefer a van with rear and side windows. Wireless rear cameras may be standard now, but I would still want something for side view.

I would be tempted to toss stuff and buy new, but matching the quality could be slow work or impossible. Many new items are lower quality for more money.

Old 05-08-2021, 07:46 AM

152 posts, read 30,313 times
The 'long distance' part is really irrelevant. There's nothing particularly complicated about highway/freeway driving. Within towns, and especially cities, is where it gets complicated, especially with a bigger vehicle.

When I was 25, my (then-future) wife and I rented a U-Haul for a move of about 160 miles. We were young and didn't have many possessions yet, so we selected a fairly small truck. When we went to pick it up, however, we were informed that they were out of the model we'd selected, but that the rental agreement allowed for them to simply give us a larger vehicle. And they did - their largest, a 26' truck.

But it gets better. It was a stick, and while I'd been driving a manual for years, we lived in Duluth, and old and very hilly city - an we lived near downtown, right on the big hill. So maneuvering a very large unfamiliar truck with a transmission for which I didn't have a feel, along steep and tight streets (and our alley) was a hassle. The fact that a very unhappy cat (who made it a point to express her unhappiness about every eight seconds for the duration of the ride) didn't help, nor did the fact that the speedometer promptly started to malfunction (it would slowly move in a circle around the dial).

What stress there is with a big vehicle mostly comes when you're on surface streets.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:41 AM

11,141 posts, read 12,628,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
Great job! I wanted to rent a UHaul and pull our car on a trailer but I was outvoted by the wife with her veto powers. Lol Because she works, I also wanted her to fly over and save the wear-and-tear of an 1800 mile drive. No go on that also.

UPack ended up being less expensive that a UHaul/trailer combo but, with the expensive our drive over in our truck, the costs will be about the same at the end of the day. My wife will ride with me and it’ll be her first long distance drive in the US. The scenery isn’t entirely different from AZ to central TX but, hopefully, she’ll enjoy the ride. Funny thing is, she’s pushing to leave the same day the movers pack our UPack trailer. I prefer to wait until the next day. Guess when we’ll leave? ASAP so she can rest on the other end before she starts work again. I get that!
Wives do have to use their veto power as necessary. Hope your trip went well.

Old Today, 05:50 PM

244 posts, read 354,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I lack sufficient knowledge about trucks, to dispute this. However, when standing next to that 26' truck, while my girlfriend was trying to rock it back and forth from the snow-pile in which it got stuck (another story in its own right), when she released the brakes, there was a telltale "pssshh-psshh-psshh" noise in sequence from every wheel... sounded to me like the purging of compressed air.
It was likely air over hydraulic, so kinda the worst of both worlds. The hydraulic brake actuates the air brakes which allows for larger brakes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues