Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 09:19 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,811,973 times

Advertisements

So is it common for people to drive a u-haul when they move several states away instead of having stuff shipped? I mean, most of the time when people drive large vehicles they generally have to have a CDL but anybody can drive a uhaul and it is not the easiest thing to drive, IMO. I had a bad experience driving one across town one time so i can't even imagine trying to do a long distance move with one, plus it is super expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 10:20 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Penske is better than Uhaul. Better priced, better equipment.

No, I am not/was not scared. I have used Penske a few times for interstate moves, including one cross country move. You should be an experienced driver who knows how to use your mirrors, keep appropriate distance between vehicles, and generally understand the basics like braking distances.

But I also have driven vans frequently, or pickups with trailers. If your driving experience is limited to Honda Accords, driving a truck may not be the best choice for you.

Old 03-13-2021, 09:53 AM

4,087 posts, read 2,557,060 times
No, I'm not afraid to drive a rental box truck. I kind of learned on the fly when I was in college (I was the assistant equipment manager for the university's marching band, so my first time driving a U-Haul was on a trip from northeastern Ohio to western Michigan) and I've since rented trucks from time to time to pick up furniture from an estate several states away and for local moves. It's really not that expensive to rent a U-Haul--especially when compared to using the services of a professional moving company.

As with any sort of driving, pay attention to the road and other vehicles, use your mirrors, maintain assured clear distance and allow plenty of space for braking, and you'll be fine. Having a trusted sidekick in the passenger seat to use an extra pair of eyes is also helpful.

If you're a nervous Nellie when it comes to driving in general, renting and driving a box truck might not be a good thing for you to do.

Old 03-13-2021, 12:34 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Have you considered a "You pack/We drive" container or trailer service like U-Pack, PODS, Old Dominion, U-Box ?

https://www.movebuddha.com/blog/best...ner-companies/

Old 03-13-2021, 01:37 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
No, not scared, but a lot more attentive. Long distance, short distance doesn't really matter. When you think about it, aren't you more attentive when you drive any car other than your own? Of course, a U Haul is probably a lot bigger and heavier, but it is still a vehicle you aren't familiar with in terms of acceleration, braking, maneuvering, visibility, and overhead clearances. Definitely plan your route and where you'll need to maneuver it in and out of. If you aren't someone who can adjust driving style easily, wouldn't suggest using a rental truck to move.

Old 03-13-2021, 02:49 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
I wasn't scared to drive the U-Haul truck but you need to be more attentive, especially if you aren't accustomed to driving vehicles like it on a regular basis.

I drove a 26 foot U-Haul from Memphis, TN area to Erie, PA. It was not too bad; you are driving with your mirrors on the sides and need to be aware of the height of the vehicle when driving through towns to avoid hitting low hanging signs or tree branches.

Most of our move was freeway driving which was actually easier than maneuvering the truck around town. I think that the route matters more than the distance.

Old 03-15-2021, 02:42 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
If I was afraid to drive something, I would not drive it!

Saying that, every time I have moved it has been pro movers paid for by me (last two moves) or by someone else. However, I did drive a U-haul once from MI to TN for a friend when she moved. Not bad, too slow, interstates were better than cities that's for sure. As just noted above....the route matters.

Old 03-15-2021, 03:20 AM

11,403 posts, read 5,960,793 times
I am a lot more hesitant in my 60s than when young. My eyes are worse. On-coming lights have a lot more glare at night. My sleep is worse. My reaction time is slower. I can't drive as many hours continuously as when young. I would be hesitant at my age. I have more wisdom but less moxie.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:06 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,066,230 times
We drove 1k miles in a large truck hauling a trailer with a car on it. Worst parts were going over the Appalachian mountains in Tennessee (slow uphill, pushed you downhill) and driving through Atlanta (which is true no matter what you're driving). The only other issues were parking overnight and mapping out gas stops at truck stations. Hubby and I did it in two days. As an experienced driver I felt ok driving.

Old 03-15-2021, 10:22 AM

287 posts, read 211,618 times
I drove a 12' Penske box truck 2000 miles in 3 days. I realize it's not a real "moving van" but I still learned some things I can share. First, the listed price was $0.99 per mile, but once she realized I was making a long trip, the local dealer knocked that down to $0.39 per mile which saved me $1000. It was a GMC with a strong engine and 6 speed transmission which made up and down hills a breeze. Down hill, I downshifted a gear or two which provided engine braking to save the brakes. Clearance was shown as 9'6", but it safely made it through a drive through window, which was also shown as 9'6" clearance. Mind your overhead clearance! It had cruise control, which really made the trip easier. It also had a USB connection to play my iPod through. It was limited to 70 MPH which was as much as 10 MPH below the speed limit, but that's not really a big deal. As long as you watch mirrors, leave extra distance ahead of you and mind the width and height you'll be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues