Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2021, 03:09 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,164,502 times

Advertisements

For people who're moving to a city where they don't know anyone, how do you find people whose name you can put down as the emergency contact on your kids' school registration? The rest of my family will be out of state and the form does say the contact needs to be an in-state resident. I know that some lawyers will do this but that sounds costly and it would take time to find someone we can trust. Are there reputable services for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 03:22 PM

23,248 posts, read 18,751,797 times
What does the school suggest? Do you have a family GP yet?

Old 03-16-2021, 04:13 PM

316 posts, read 303,547 times
Wow, I've never seen a school form declare it needs to be an in-state resident. I wonder if that is something new related to some past litigious issues?

Anyway, we've always listed an out-of-state family member.

Are you on friendly terms with your realtor? Could you possibly list him/her?

Old 03-16-2021, 06:29 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,164,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflygirlmomof2 View Post
Wow, I've never seen a school form declare it needs to be an in-state resident. I wonder if that is something new related to some past litigious issues?

Anyway, we've always listed an out-of-state family member.

Are you on friendly terms with your realtor? Could you possibly list him/her?
The realtor is literally one of the only three people I know in the state so I already reached out to her. I just want a backup option in case she declines.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:41 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,332,649 times
I would put down an out-of-state person. With fewer and fewer people having land lines, local numbers aren't tied to area codes as they are likely to be a cell number.

Once you get to know a few people you can change it.

I was a real estate agent in the past. That's not a responsibility I would want to take on for a client. I'd think twice about asking your realtor. You'll be putting her in an awkward position.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:43 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,076,604 times
Why does a school need emergency contacts other than the parents?

Old 03-17-2021, 09:33 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I'm a retired teacher. I can't tell you how many times I have had students who were way too sick to be in school, such as vomiting, diarrhea and a 102 degree temperature and no one is answering the home phone (or Mom's cell phone) and Dad's office says that he is "out in the field and unreachable". Or, Mom and/or Dad works in a factory or some other business where they do not have access to a phone.

Or, Mom is a single parent, at home with other children and does not have transportation.

Once, one of my students fell off the monkey bars and one parent was out of town and the other parent was "alone in the store and couldn't leave until her co-worker returned". We suspected that the child had a broken arm and were just about to call an ambulance when we got ahold of a back-up emergency contact, an aunt, who drove her niece to the Emergency Room. It turned out that the child did have a broken arm.

Where I worked we required the phone numbers of both parents as well as two back-up contacts for emergencies. And, you would shocked at how often we could NOT get even one of those four people to answer the phone if caller ID showed that the school was calling. Depending on the circumstances, if we tried multiple times, over a long period of time, to get a hold of someone connected to the child, the school would be forced to call Children's Protective Services or the Police.

BTW, the school that our children attended required both parent's phone numbers and three back-up contacts. In all the years that our children were in school, they never once had to call one of our back-up people (relatives, friends & neighbors).

Old 03-18-2021, 12:48 AM

2,578 posts, read 2,066,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It is common for a school to ask for secondary emergency contacts beyond parents. All forms we have completed specify primary be parent 1 and 2, secondary be someone else. Same for summer camps, theater, sports, etc. for the past 15 years.

Old 03-18-2021, 04:32 AM

276 posts, read 282,420 times
Have moved several times out of state. Before acquainting yourself with new trusted friends, I ran across same issue. I simply indicated both me and spouse cell number and work numbers. In addition, indicated cell number of out of state emergency number and name. It does feel weird having no local emergency contact, but that is the reality of moving out of state. I’m sure if you have school age children, you will develop relationships quickly and then you can modify your forms with local trusted contact!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues