U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 04:34 PM

11,221 posts, read 6,941,208 times

Advertisements

Ever the iconoclast, I broke nearly all of the thus-far enumerated rules. Thus:

* Boxes... don't. Load cabinets into the truck. Then fill the cabinets, as if they were at home. Cram books into cabinets, to the point of bulging-out. Then stand the cabinets up against each other, butting. Array the cabinets (full!) along the width of the truck, so that there's no room for the cabinets to sway or "rack".

* Take anything that's precious. You will heartily miss supposedly questionable items, if they're left behind. When in doubt, take it.

* Relocation is stressful! An important salve is to have ready-access to your comfort-items, your teddy-bear so to speak. Make [expletive] sure not to neglect those items!

* Useful rule of thumb: anything over 50 years old, is probably worth taking. Anything over 100 years old, is definitely worth taking.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 09:32 AM

2,308 posts, read 1,143,029 times
*If you plan to donate stuff, insure that you schedule that pickup well ahead of time. If you need to donate a mattress, make sure the charity will accept it. Many charities will not accept mattresses or, as in our case, want a small donation to include it in the pickup. Many charities are also limiting pickups, hence the need to schedule early.

*Don’t pack the towel you use to dry the dog after his bath. Otherwise, your wife will use yours. DAMHIK.

*If you haven’t touched, fondled or used an item in the last two years, and it has no sentimental value, donate it. Spouses are exempt.

Old 03-22-2021, 03:37 PM

2,276 posts, read 1,658,719 times
Think about what you might need for window coverings on your first night in your new place. Have something ready to tack up, even if it's garbage bags with painters tape. You're going to want privacy and a good nights sleep and maybe even be able to sleep in the next day after an exhausting day of moving.

Keep one box of immediate essentials with you in your car and not thrown in the truck with everything else, so you don't have to dig through stacks of boxes throughout the place once the move is complete. Some things to include in that box might be: Scissors, paper towels, TP, change of clothes, towels, sheets (you're going to want to make your bed ASAP), garbage bags, whatever window coverings you're going to use, shower curtain, soap. Maybe some plastic cups, cork screw, etc. Start a list and add to it as you think of what those essentials need to be.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:41 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,185,732 times
Great tips! The mods should make this a sticky thread.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:07 PM

2,466 posts, read 1,489,647 times
Don't pack open bottles big shampoo, body soap, any liquid from kitchen. Unless these things bcan come in the car with you. All the bumping around loosens caps and creates a mess and ruins things. If in doubt throw it out. Great time to get rid of things that you really don't use anymore.

Use curb alert on Craigslist if you have a lot of misc. stuff that could be usable. You don't have to respond to email questions. It's just free.

Old 03-30-2021, 12:59 PM

2,276 posts, read 1,658,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Don't pack open bottles big shampoo, body soap, any liquid from kitchen. Unless these things bcan come in the car with you. All the bumping around loosens caps and creates a mess and ruins things. If in doubt throw it out. Great time to get rid of things that you really don't use anymore.

Use curb alert on Craigslist if you have a lot of misc. stuff that could be usable. You don't have to respond to email questions. It's just free.
Or if you DO bring these things, put them in zip lock bags. Maybe even double-bag them.

Old 05-22-2021, 12:01 AM

16 posts, read 6,968 times
- Declutter early and often.
- Pack fragile and valuable items yourself (if you are having movers pack your items). I also pack my own shoes since I am particular about their conditon. After a previous experience with theft I no longer allow movers to pack my jewelry (even costume jewelry) or small electronics.
- Put together a move-in kit in a clear plastic bin with everything you will need for your first few days. So, dish soap, TP, paper towels, garbage bags, scissors, etc.
- Order new address labels in advance since these usually take some time to arrive.
- Start collecting good boxes that come into your life. I am talking about sturdy boxes in the right sizes for various packing needs. I flatten these and then put back together as needed for packing.
- Start collecting packing material months in advance, so things like tissue paper that you receive for another purpose (in a shipment that arrives your home, etc.) and reusable plastic bags.
- I place colored tape on items that the movers are not supposed to move for whatever reason or that have special instructions (I will write instructions on the tape in permanent marker). Saves a lot of stress and confusion on moving day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues