U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 01:32 PM

2,136 posts, read 1,012,745 times

Advertisements

Share your hard-earned moving tips, hacks and lessons with others. What might seem obvious to you might help someone else who doesn’t have your experience. I’ll give it a start.

Buying moving supplies from UHaul has its advantages. Unused items are be returned to your local UHaul for a full refund making buying too many impossible. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Shipping is free if your order is over $60 and, the boxes they ship your order in are additional free boxes. My order was for a 3/4 bedroom house. That’s 18 free boxes.

Start your packing early if time allows. Working a couple of hours each day is far, far easier than trying to cram it in a couple of days.

What do you have?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 07:33 PM

138 posts, read 116,210 times
So many things people post on here all the time... but these are some of the things we've learned after 3 moves in the last 5 years.
  • Start way earlier in the process than you think you should. Way earlier.
  • Purge as much as possible, then some more, whether it's trash or donations.
  • You're gonna have a lot of trash/recycling the last couple of days once you get into the last few hours.
  • Label boxes as clearly as you can. I know some do detailed lists, but we just put office, or bathroom, or kitchen, with a little extra detail like silverware or towels. It helped to know what to grab next when unpacking.
  • I think for each room an 'open first' box is key so you have your bathroom essentials, kitchen essentials, etc. right away. Even if you're too pooped to dig any further, opening your open first boxes can get you through a day and night.
  • We did okay with boxes, maybe only making 2 trips after going through the first batch. But one key thing we learned is you can never, ever have enough packing tape. Seriously. After several trips to get more during the first move, we just get twice as much as we think we need at first and still probably end up going for more.

Also, give yourself a little grace. No one can plan for every scenario.

Old 03-19-2021, 08:10 PM

182 posts, read 84,624 times
During these COVID preoccupied times, no one is buying used furniture. We had a Broyhill china cabinet which was worth something, but it went into the dumpster in pieces.

You'll need more space (on the truck, in the pod...) than you think.

Old 03-20-2021, 11:07 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,287,665 times
Great advice so far

I moved my horses cross-country twice, along with two Ryder trucks, so my big thing is vehicle and trailer maintenance. Make sure your tow vehicles are well maintenanced for a trip and have a current membership to AAA or similar in you wallet.

Also ask to see the maintenance records of any rental trailer (wheel bearings, brakes, working lights, etc) or truck you use.

Old 03-20-2021, 11:59 AM

7,605 posts, read 9,574,548 times
It's been years since we moved a whole house, but I did help my son move across the country a few years ago.

Buy address labels, at least 2"x 4". Create a document for each room, e.g. bathroom 1, and make the font as large as possible. Print out a few sheets for each room. It's more efficient to pull off all the labels and slap it them on the boxes rather than use a marker for each box. It's also more visible.

Use extra sheets, towels, blankets, etc. to wrap artwork, electronics, or glass items for extra protection. These soft goods can also be used in boxes to fill up space so things don't move around.

Pack bed pillows, sheets, a towel and face cloth in any extra luggage. It makes it easy to find when you move in to make beds, take a shower, etc.

The large vacuum seal bags are great, but don't over pack them. The clothing or whatever doesn't weigh less just because it's smaller.

I always had a "first day" box or bag. I put a supply of paper plates, napkins, plastic silverware, a manual can and bottle opener, a few rolls of TP and a roll of paper towels in the bag or box. This always goes in the car with us.

Old 03-20-2021, 12:29 PM

650 posts, read 168,106 times
One we have discovered while starting to pack for our move, masking paper is great for wrapping fragile items. I happened to have a few large rolls of the stuff floating around my garage and we have been using the heck out of it to wrap stuff with.

Old 03-20-2021, 02:27 PM

11,506 posts, read 10,346,756 times
As others have noted, you are going to need more boxes, tape and packing material than you thought you would. Don't try to be cheap on packing paper, that is how things get broken. Every glass and plate gets individually wrapped.

Big box of large trash bags for the end. You will be surprised at how much trash exists in your home at any given time.

All those chemicals and cleaners under your sink? Throw them out and buy new at the other end. They are cheap, they leak, and they can cause chemical reactions you don't want.

When packing the truck, use furniture and large heavy, well packed boxes as your base layer. Smaller, lighter boxes go on top.

Don't create boxes with bulging tops or sides. They don't stack well in the truck, they don't protect their contents, and they are prone to bursting. Get another box rather than just sticking one or two more items in the one you are working on.

Unless you are used to carrying lots of heavy things, buy or rent a dolly/hand truck. It will be slower than carrying everything like the professional movers to, but worth it on your back.

Hire help to load/unload the truck.

Old 03-20-2021, 02:42 PM

81 posts, read 29,514 times
I've been to sales in Dallas where the homeowners basically hand over the house to people who sell all the contents, like a living estate sale. These sales people keep a chunk of the sales, but they handle it all. They advertise, figure out what to charge, tag it, have people watching so things aren't stolen, handle final day mark downs, and so on.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/10...you-2013-06-14

Old 03-20-2021, 04:31 PM

6,456 posts, read 10,490,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTXwhatnext View Post
I've been to sales in Dallas where the homeowners basically hand over the house to people who sell all the contents, like a living estate sale. These sales people keep a chunk of the sales, but they handle it all. They advertise, figure out what to charge, tag it, have people watching so things aren't stolen, handle final day mark downs, and so on.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/10...you-2013-06-14
Here is a search site for Estate Sale outfits.

https://www.estatesales.net/

I used one when wife died at age 60 and I sold house & most contents and moved out of state to live with daughter's family (at their invitation).

The article quoted above has lots of good tips on selecting one.

Old 03-21-2021, 12:08 AM

16,820 posts, read 15,545,596 times
my moving advice:
don't own more stuff than will fit in my own vehicle.

the less stuff i own
the easier it is to move. and the better it feels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues